Wedding Woes
Options

Pre-Nup Conundrum

My fiancé is significantly wealthier than me and has asked that we draw up a prenuptial agreement to protect his existing assets in case of a divorce. He has been very clear that anything we earn or acquire during our marriage would be distributed equally, which is obviously better for me than for him. I understand why he wants this, and if I were in his position, I could see wanting the same thing. However, every time we talk about it, I get very emotional, because having to plan for the hypothetical end of our relationship is sad, right?! He doesn’t understand this and is very anxious that I am going to be weepy at the attorney’s office when we meet with her. He also comes from a divorced family and is once divorced himself, whereas no one in my family has ever divorced, and this is my first serious relationship. Big difference in perspective there. Am I unreasonable for having these feelings?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pre-Nup Conundrum

• Options
    Not unreasonable to feel how she feels, but she needs to determine if she's upset about planning for a possibility that she doesn't want, or if it's the prenup itself that she's upset about. Probably before walking into the lawyers office. 
  • Options
    Feelings are feelings, they don't have to be reasonable or rational.  I'm concerned that FI's biggest concern is how you'll "behave" at the attorney's office.  Why should that even matter?  It sounds like he's dismissing your feelings, completely, even though you seem to understand and even sympathize (not the word I wanted) with his reasons for wanting a pre-nup.

This decision affects you, too, LW, and FI needs to be supportive of you while you make this decision.

I hate pre-nups for the very reason that it feels like entering a marriage thinking it will fail.  But I also understand the need, in some cases.  If LW can't reconcile those two sides, I think some form of counseling may be needed.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Agree with @short+sassy. The pre-nup protects you both. Go over it and see if there's a stipulation regarding alimony for you, clauses for infidelity (pre-nup is void in case of cheating), how debt will be divided, etc.  
  • Options
    Honestly, the older I get the more I think pre-nup agreements are a good idea. I don't think they're "planning" for anything.  Life happens.  Shit happens.  Some situations are completely out of left field and there's nothing you can do about it. I'll get a pre-nup when SO and I get married, both for me, and for him.  

• Options
    I'm not trying to sound cold, but the divorce rate is what it is. No one (mostly?) goes into a marriage thinking it won't work. 

I guess if I were in her position, I'd use joint money to hire an attorney (just as good as his, but one I chose) to look it over and help me think about my interests. I would add language that suited me. THEN I'd sign it. 

I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but why does he give a shit that she cries in the attorney's office? So he can keep up appearances with some lawyer he hired? Who gives a shit what she thinks? 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Beyond the divorce rate, what about death?

Plenty of people draw up pre nups so assets stay in a family and may not go outside in the event that someone passes.   

• Options

banana468 said:

Plenty of people draw up pre nups so assets stay in a family and may not go outside in the event that someone passes.   

wouldn't you just accomplish that with a will
  • Options
    I'm paraphrasing Carolyn Hax but she said something about before you marry someone think about how they may behave if a divorce happens. Would they be nasty, spiteful, or just logical and fair? I always think about that when pre-nups are brought up.

• Options

kvruns said:

banana468 said:

But if the spouse is alive in many cases they inherit the assets, no? (Not a lawyer, just someone who teaches Con Law). 
  • Options

kvruns said:

banana468 said:

But if the spouse is alive in many cases they inherit the assets, no? (Not a lawyer, just someone who teaches Con Law). 

STUCK

I'm not on top of what supercedes what (prenup v will) so I'll bow out but I would think/hope you could accomplish that with a good will instead of needing it in the prenup first. who knows (not me)

• Options

kvruns said:

STUCK

I'm not on top of what supercedes what (prenup v will) so I'll bow out but I would think/hope you could accomplish that with a good will instead of needing it in the prenup first. who knows (not me)

If it's inherited during the marriage, it's marital assets unless specifically agreed upon in a pre-nup.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

kvruns said:

kvruns said:

banana468 said:

STUCK

Not lawyer, basing this information on what I've heard/dealt with.

If there is debt, the estate has to pay it out - regardless of prenup/will.

MARITAL/COMMON LAW SPOUSE will automatically get assets/money/estate unless will states otherwise.

Will - says where assets/money will go

Prenup - protects either spouse from taking anything in event of a divorce.

Prenup in many cases will not cover what a will does in case of death.

Will can have "just in case of health" choices {example: my parents have in will that if either are in accident and on life support and 2 drs state that if unplugged, will not survive - family does not have to make choice}

edit: this could also just be in Canada fyi
  • Options

kvruns said:

banana468 said:

Depends.   

I don't have a pre-nup or family assets.   But if DH died and there was a family trust or property, there could be a pre-nup that stated that the trust was only to be used / owned by next of kin and any future spouse I had did not have access to it.    Wills help but from what I understand the pre-nup helps to clear things from the start. 

Ditto for any business related issues.  
  • Options

kvruns said:

STUCK

If it's inherited during the marriage, it's marital assets unless specifically agreed upon in a pre-nup.

Not usually. (And I actually am a lawyer who did practice family law for several miserable years.) In most states, inheritance is non-marital, regardless of when it is inherited. Co-mingling the asset gets dicey, though. If you use the inheritance to put a down payment on a house, but then use marital funds to make the mortgage payment, separating out the inheritance is a mess. 

A pre-nup does what a will can't when it comes to protecting your surviving spouse from creditors. 

The will that lays out what happens if you're incapacitated is called a Living Will. Although it has the same name, it's a completely different document than a Last Will.