Wedding Woes
Options

Questionable real estate listing

This popped up in my FB feed and what the what?  Make sure you read the description, including the "read more" link.

http://www.remax.com/realestatehomesforsale/709-michaelmas-avenue-cayce-sc-29033-id288625625.html

"Upstairs apartment cannot be shown under any circumstances."  That sounds totally normal, especially paired with that photo of the big hole in the ceiling.

Re: Questionable real estate listing

• Options
    "Nothing to see here. This is perfectly normal. "
  • Options
    "No it doesn't make sense, don't bother asking" !!!!!!!!!!

what?!!! Also the door to that upstairs apartment looks like a murder happened behind it!
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2017
    (Yes, it does not make sense, please don't bother asking.)

Seriously, at what point do you tell these people, "You're crazy. I cannot even begin to try and sell this house."  As an RE agent, you don't *have* to take a listing.   With that much seller fuckery, I cannot see how the amount of time you'd put into trying to 'sell' this house being worth the commission. 

I'd love to know how many showings...or even inquiries they've gotten for this house. 
  • Options

Heffalump said:

This popped up in my FB feed and what the what?  Make sure you read the description, including the "read more" link.

http://www.remax.com/realestatehomesforsale/709-michaelmas-avenue-cayce-sc-29033-id288625625.html

"Upstairs apartment cannot be shown under any circumstances."  That sounds totally normal, especially paired with that photo of the big hole in the ceiling.

Actually, that type of wording isn't unusual at all when you are talking about a house for sale that obviously has a tenant problem.

I'll translate :).  The upstairs apartment can't be shown because there are tenants living there.  Who it sounds like are deadbeat PITAs.  They either won't allow showings or purposely make themselves difficult to get in touch with to "okay" a showing with them.  Some kind of problem like that.

There is a particular real estate auction site that has almost exclusively foreclosures on it where people are living on the property.  Bidders have to buy the house without the ability to see the inside at all because showings aren't allowed.

Needless to say, these types of situations are pretty much always going to be investors buying the houses.  At a very steep discount because they are assuming the worst and setting their price points as such.

Assuming the $110K asking price is a killer deal for the area and SC isn't too draconian on their landlord/tenant laws, I could see this being a FANTASTIC deal for the right buyer.  If I were buying it, I'd assume the cost of a brand new roof, the time/expense to evict the upstairs tenant, and another $20K-$30K to fix the upstairs unit.  Which is probably trashed and/or have portions destroyed by roof leaks.

But, yeeessss, your typical homebuyer would not want to touch this with a 10-foot pole.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've also seen listings with warnings like, "Enter at your own peril."  That always makes me giggle.  This will be for houses that need substantial work and/or need to be gutted.  Often there is a specific structural issue or porch/stair problem that could potentially be a danger to someone going into the house.  Usually there is additional verbage in the description outlining whatever nightmare condition the house is in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

mrsconn23 said:

(Yes, it does not make sense, please don't bother asking.)

Seriously, at what point do you tell these people, "You're crazy. I cannot even begin to try and sell this house."  As an RE agent, you don't *have* to take a listing.   With that much seller fuckery, I cannot see how the amount of time you'd put into trying to 'sell' this house being worth the commission. 

I'd love to know how many showings...or even inquiries they've gotten for this house. 

You all might be very surprised.  If that pricing is right, investors will scoop it up.

That's what we do.  We buy other people's problems and (hopefully) turn them into big profits.

And there are a lot of those folks around who are specifically looking for problem house situations.  Because that's usually where the best profit potential is.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    "Some electrical updated in '07" okay well ... what about the rest :|

No no ... this is all normal. *side eye* I want to go just to see at this point.

Me: can I see upstairs?
    Realtor: no.
    Me: what's wrong with it?
    Realtor: nothing! it's fine. trust my opinion.
    Me: Oh okay.
  • Options
    I once saw a listing for a gorgeous old Victorian home--my dream home, actually.  Except, the pictures of the home were all from 1950.  And the listing said, "Please use caution when entering and take a flashlight. The pictures were provided by the family when the home was occupied."  Meaning, the home was in such bad shape that the owners couldn't use any filter or wide-angle lens to make it look remotely respectable.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options

So the upstairs is either occupied by:

- a ghost
    - a celebrity's love nest
    - a serial killer

"Yes, it does not make sense, please don't bother asking." Mmmmkay. I'm just buying the house as is, so sure. I won't bother asking :D 

There is really the weirdest mix but at this rate, most likely.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I saw this on my FB feed too and I laughed. I figured either there is an annoying tennant in the attic or someone is trying to drum up interest in the house by making it sound haunted or mysterious so bring in more potential buyers. 
  • Options

I once saw a listing for a gorgeous old Victorian home--my dream home, actually.  Except, the pictures of the home were all from 1950.  And the listing said, "Please use caution when entering and take a flashlight. The pictures were provided by the family when the home was occupied."  Meaning, the home was in such bad shape that the owners couldn't use any filter or wide-angle lens to make it look remotely respectable.

"also sign this waiver before entering".....  yeahno.

• Options
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Wow!  It's just so weird to me sometimes the things that "go viral" and catch people's attention.

Granted, I look at a lot more real estate listings than the average person.  But that one, while out of the norm, isn't really that unusual either.  The only thing I found noteworthy was the slightly unprofessional, but funny, "Don't ask" statement the realtor used.  Which I read with the exasperated tone I think he/she was trying to convey.  I also didn't read that as "literal", just that the owner isn't planning to do anything about the upstairs tenant problem.

Now THAT I see in a listing probably a few times a year.  Just without the snarky comment.

Pretty weird, though that, according to the tenant, no one has approached him about allowing showings. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

Oops, I didn't think my (above) post went through.

Wedding Countdown Ticker