Chit Chat

NWR Catering Tip?

Ro041Ro041 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 2017 in Chit Chat
I am having FI's graduation party catered.  They will deliver the food and set up (it's bbq - 2 meats and 2 sides plus utensils, plates, etc).  I am spending $300 on the food and they are charging a $45 delivery fee (they call it a "service charge").  How much should I tip?

Re: NWR Catering Tip?

• I would just tip on the fee for the food, not the service charge. So $45-60?
  • Ro041Ro041 member

I would just tip on the fee for the food, not the service charge. So $45-60?

They aren't serving it (just setting up) so what percentage would you tip?  I was thinking 10%.

• Ro041 said:

I would just tip on the fee for the food, not the service charge. So $45-60?

They aren't serving it (just setting up) so what percentage would you tip?  I was thinking 10%.

That's what I was thinking also.  For an analogy, I'll typically tip 10% at a buffet restaurant, as long as that is at least a few dollars.  Because I'm getting my own food and courses.

Though I would also double check with the caterer if part of that $45 is going directly to the delivery folks.  And, if so, adjust accordingly.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Got it! Yeah, 10% unless part of the delivery charge goes to the delivery people. I was thinking the caterer was serving.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    Thanks ladies!

• What do you mean by setting it up?

Are they just dropping off and leaving or will they be watching the station, refilling as needed, and tearing down?

I'm sure any tip will be appreciated as caterers aren't tipped as often as they actually should be.  Last night I worked an event where the bill was 4 figures and we were tipped $100 split 3 ways.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    @kimmiinthemitten - They will be setting up the chafing dishes, putting the meat in them, setting up the sides, setting up the plates etc and then leaving.  They will not be there to watch the station, serve, refill etc.  They also will not come back to tear down.