Chit Chat
Options

I'm not sure where this goes.. Venue contact troubles

Hey everyone. I am newly engaged and I'm not entirely sure where this kind of post would go. I've been having trouble with my venue and I'd love some advice. We've decided to go with a certain venue, and while we love it, the woman who we are in contact with is so flakey. We were trying to get pricing from her, and she said she'd get it to me the next day and she didn't. I texted her and called her over the course of the next two weeks, and she didn't reply to any of those. Finally, my mother texted her to ask what was going on, and that was when i finally heard from her and she told me she had the wrong email from me. Which, I know isn't true because I saw her writing it down and confirmed that was correct. Since then, on two other occasions she's told me she would get something to me later that day, and she did not. The most recent time was the actual contract to have my wedding there, and I still haven't gotten it. This whole situation has me feeling extremely uneasy. I want to address it with her, but I still want to have my wedding there so I'm afraid of ruining our working relationship going forward. Is there any solution besides choosing a new venue? Has anyone else had this problem in that past? How did you remedy it?

Thanks in advance! 

Re: I'm not sure where this goes.. Venue contact troubles

• Options
    lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Is your Mom paying for the venue? If not, she should not be texting this woman.  You're planning a wedding so you are obviously an adult, who is capable of communicating to other adults.

• Options
    She is paying for it, and she also set up our initial contact through the venue's catering service. While I am adult and thought I'd be able to communicate with other adults, the contact at the venue only emailed me a proposal after two weeks once my mother texted her. My mom didn't want to get involved, but I didn't know what else to do since my texts and voicemails went unanswered. 
  • Options
    From my experience, a vendor who is flaky when you've all but thrown yourself at them with commitment will not get any better.  If this woman is going to be your single POC between now and the day of your wedding, I would find another venue.  You'll have enough headaches and stressors between now and your wedding; worrying about whether or not your venue coordinator will come through on the day of should NOT be one of them.

Keep in mind, though, that if she is the venue's ONLY POC, she's probably swamped with other events, including but not limited to other weddings, some of which may be in the immediate future.  However, as busy as she may or may not be, her pattern of behavior is such that you may better off taking your business elsewhere.

I'm not sure speaking with the manager will help things much, long-term.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    It is a small, seasonal venue, so I'm not sure if there is anyone else I could work with. I wouldn't have a problem if she said "in a couple days" or "by the end of the week" but she keeps saying "today" instead. I am going to try to figure out how to get in touch with the owner of the property, and maybe address it with them. I really like your suggestion of what to say! Thank you!
  • Options
    You are correct that she could be busy with other events. Since it's a seasonal location, I know she's interviewing for servers for the restaurant for the summer. The thing is, I would be totally okay with that being what's going on, if she said she'd get me something in a couple days. But she keeps telling me she'll get it to me almost immediately and then I never get it. :( 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I'd be weary of working with this venue.  Maybe she is just bad with paperwork (?!?) but I'd be afraid that all dealings would be like this. If you're afraid that you will have a tough time getting things nailed down even after the contract is signed I would look elsewhere. 
  • Options
    I would look for another venue. If they're this flaky before they have your business, what do you think is going to happen once there's a contract and deposit?

No amount of pretty space is worth being stuck with someone who isn't responsive. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Personally, I'd look for another venue.

I don't think your issues are going to get better. It would be different if it were one thing/situation, but this has happened multiple times despite you contacting her.

I had a bad experience with our wedding photographer who DH felt was flaky from the first meeting, so it has left me a bit negative, but I also don't have time to hunt down and babysit someone who is supposed to be a professional. Totally fair if she is busy, but then don't say "I'll get you this tomorrow" if she can't, or take on your wedding if she can't.
  • Options
    Well, we had a flaky vendor when we shopped for venues.  She wouldn't return my calls.  Turned out she had walked off the job just after our interview, and never notified the boss that she was leaving permanently!  They hired a new event coordinator, and she was wonderful!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    If you are already having trouble just getting pricing information from this woman, at the point where she should be eager to sign you up and get your business, it's not going to get better. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I think you really need to consider what you are willing to put up with to get married at this venue. Talking to a manager is fine, but how often are you going to have to do that? And will they be any more responsive? 

Personally, I'd look for another venue. You will have plenty to deal with regarding your wedding and with the rest of everyday life while you're engaged; babysitting someone who is supposed to be a professional shouldn't be on your to-do list.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the help! We're still not 100% sure what we're going to do yet, but at the very least, I want to address it with her directly. This venue is not only one of the nicest venues we looked at for the least amount of money, it also holds a lot of sentimental value, as it's a theater I attended as a child with my now passed grandfather. That's why this whole situation is so troubling to me. If I talk to her about it and she seems unresponsive, we do plan on looking elsewhere. Thanks again!
  • Options
    If she's this flakey when she's trying to sell you a spot, imagine how flakey she's going to be once you're locked in by contract. Right now, she has an incentive to help you. Once you sign a contract, she has little incentive to be prompt.

Addressing this with her will very likely NOT change her behavior.

You either need to accept that she's going to be a flakey, pain in the ass to work with and probably provide a halo of stress over the planning process. Or you should find a new venue. Those are really the only options I see.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Be careful though before signing anything.