Destination Weddings Discussions

Canadian hopes to be married in San Diego

Have any brides out there done this? I have to come across any relative ideas and this our happy place... would love to have a small ceremony with close family followed by a short cocktail reception. Thoughts?

Re: Canadian hopes to be married in San Diego

• Yeah I would not travel from here in Canada to the states for "a short cocktail reception". It doesn't have to be a plated multi-course dinner, but you need an actual meal. AND I would make the reception longer in order to actually have time to visit with your guests.
  • ahoward27ahoward27 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2017
    Thank you both for your input! I agree a meal and longer reception is needed but we dont want a traditional reception with speeches etc, preferably a casual patio setting. La Jolla is ideal. Any suggestions for restaurants that might offer something like this? Thanks!

• ahoward27 said:

Thank you both for your input! I agree a meal and longer reception is needed but we dont want a traditional reception with speeches etc, preferably a casual patio setting. La Jolla is ideal. Any suggestions for restaurants that might offer something like this? Thanks!

Speeches are not necessary and most people would agree that they shouldn't even happen at a wedding. Host your guests with appropriate food and drink for a meal time, especially considering there is travel involved. No suggestions for La Jolla as have never been there. Have you tried Google searching private rooms in restaurants in La Jolla?
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

ahoward27 said:

That's fine. There are lots of ways to properly host your guests while being less traditional. A casual patio would be lovely- particularly in that area. Sorry, no specific ideas here. Try the local boards. Or start googling restaurants and calling places up to ask.
  • Searching for rehearsal dinner spaces on Yelp or Google may be the most helpful in finding a private room or patio.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • edited June 2017
    There are co's who do all-incl wedding pkgs where you can get married @ Balboa Park, Torrey Pines & other locations. it only includes ceremony so be sure you host something afterward though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker