Wedding Woes
Options

What is up with the dudes of Prudie today?

Dear Prudence,
My boyfriend and I regularly host parties, and while we always invite all of our friends, the only person who attends every event is “Mitch.” Once a conversation about a problem I was having at work nearly turned into a screaming match because Mitch kept asking me over and over how I was going to fix it and wouldn’t let up until I gave him an answer that made him happy. Mitch was so upset that he slammed his hands on our table and took a long smoke break outside to “calm down.” After this incident I just avoided conversations with Mitch, but he still makes his irritation known. Recently we all went to a concert as a group, and Mitch kept saying how upset he was that it wasn’t a “guys’ night” and that he missed their college days before “everyone got a girlfriend and abandoned” him. Since then I have stopped going to events where Mitch will be unless it’s a big enough group that I don’t have to interact with him.

I’d avoided bringing this up with my boyfriend since I thought it was all in my head. However, in the past few months, multiple friends have pointed out Mitch’s rude behavior toward me. My boyfriend, however, doesn’t see it and dismisses me when I bring this up. He says Mitch is going through a tough time (job issues, financial struggles, etc.) so I should stop picking on him. I would be fine with this, but my boyfriend keeps making it worse by not letting me avoid Mitch. If we’re having game night and I can’t handle playing with Mitch anymore, my boyfriend will play my hand “until I’m ready” instead of letting me stay busy in the kitchen. If we’re having movie night my boyfriend doesn’t understand why I’ll sit on the opposite end of the room when there’s an empty seat by Mitch. It’s gotten to the point where these parties I used to look forward to stress me out so much that I don’t want to be in my own house. It’s becoming more awkward for everyone, not just me, but every time my boyfriend tries to get us to play nice something goes wrong. How can I fix this problem? If Mitch was my own friend I would have cut ties long ago but that doesn’t seem to be an option since he and my boyfriend are still on good terms.

—Party Pooper

Re: What is up with the dudes of Prudie today?

• Options
    LW needs to not let the bf state where they are during things.

'Mitch' is likely the last single guy of the group - hence the missing of 'guys nights' - but he sounds like he's a dick. I would avoid him too.

LW needs to tell bf that they aren't a fan of 'Mitch' and if they will be around him, bf is going to have to understand they're going to avoid him. Not bf's choice but best way to handle it.
  • Options
    LW's BF needs to listen up and LW needs to assert herself.    
  • Options

As an aside, their initial fight sounds really dumb.  She should have just ended the discussion, walked away if she had to, as soon as it even started to get heated.

Yeah. My husband's best friend is *exactly* like this. I'm guessing he wouldn't have "allowed" LW to walk away, because they "weren't done" or he "just had one more point" or whatever. 

I'd dump the boyfriend, but I think that not having her back and not "seeing" this rude behavior is indicative of a deep lack of respect for LW, and it's not going to get any better. He'll always choose someone else over her. 
  • Options
    Time to dump the boyfriend. 
  • Options
    DTMF.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."