Registry and Gift Forum

separate bridal shower registry?

My aunt is throwing me a bridal shower.  One of my bridesmaids, who is invited, can't attend, but she asked me to share my registry info in case she wants to contribute from afar.

I was just going to link her to our wedding registry page on our website.  But then I wondered -- are you expected to set up a separate bridal shower registry?  I'm not totally sure what I'd put on it that's not already on our wedding registries.  

Re: separate bridal shower registry?

• Most people just have one registry. It gets a little depleted by the shower and they either add stuff or leave it alone in hopes of cash. 

Some dear family friends of ours threw us a "build the bar" shower with just local friends (my shower was mostly family from another part of the state). I had a separate registry at Crate and Barrel for that shower with stuff like high ball glasses, wine opener, beer glasses, whiskey stones, ice bucket/scoop, wine charms, coasters...you know, stuff for people who love drinking.;)
    *********************************************************************************

• Most people just have one registry. It gets a little depleted by the shower and they either add stuff or leave it alone in hopes of cash. 

Some dear family friends of ours threw us a "build the bar" shower with just local friends (my shower was mostly family from another part of the state). I had a separate registry at Crate and Barrel for that shower with stuff like high ball glasses, wine opener, beer glasses, whiskey stones, ice bucket/scoop, wine charms, coasters...you know, stuff for people who love drinking.;)
    Gotcha!  Thanks.

And that "build the bar" shower........I am unbelievably jealous.

• I didn't have a registry but my friend really wanted to throw a shower for me. She went wine themed and I got some lovely bottles of wine and a few wine related items. It was so thoughtful.
  • Nope, one registry is enough.  I mean, you can register at a couple different stores if you'd like, but it should be ready when shower invites go out, and you can add to it if there's something you forgot/want to add between your shower and wedding.
  • Your registry for your wedding is enough but don't count of people buying things for you from the registry for your shower.  I set up our registry prior to our engagement party and one person out of 50 bought anything from it. My shower is tomorrow and the person throwing me the shower said that she only knew of 1 gift coming from the registry as well. Some people (especially older people) feel that the shower gifts should be personal to you and don't want to buy a gift that they perceive would be for the couple (even though you want the items you registered for). 

• Your registry for your wedding is enough but don't count of people buying things for you from the registry for your shower.  I set up our registry prior to our engagement party and one person out of 50 bought anything from it. My shower is tomorrow and the person throwing me the shower said that she only knew of 1 gift coming from the registry as well. Some people (especially older people) feel that the shower gifts should be personal to you and don't want to buy a gift that they perceive would be for the couple (even though you want the items you registered for). 

A wedding registry will suffice for both wedding and shower. I disagree about people not buying off the registry. I think your experience is unusual. I always buy off the registry for both occasions as do the majority of my friends. DD only received a couple of things not on her registry everything else was from it. Also, people shouldn't be pointed to the registry for an engagement party because it isn't a gift giving event.