Wedding Woes
Options

This person is supposedly an adult. I need to see the receipts.

Dear Prudence,
I was born on the same day at the same hospital as a woman who has now been in my social circle for 28 years, though we are not particularly close. This has always posed a logistical problem when we try to celebrate. We either plan separate birthday parties (which is inconsiderate toward friends who have to choose), or plan an event together (which isn’t fun for me because she has five siblings who make a big deal about her gifts and her cake while my family is smaller and doesn’t get all that excited about birthdays).

This year I am particularly unhappy because, for the second time I have received an invitation to a surprise birthday party for the other woman thrown by her sisters. I am very upset at the thought of spending my birthday at a party being thrown exclusively for someone else, and last time I attended her surprise birthday party I left early and cried on the drive home because it made me feel so overlooked. These feelings have been building since elementary school when her mother would bring birthday cake and balloons to school, and our birthday was completely focused on her. I can’t throw my own party that day without putting our mutual friends in an awkward position. I am wondering, do I need to gracefully accept the invitation and grin and bear it, or can I tell her sisters I am not coming because I don’t enjoy going to someone else’s birthday party on my birthday? If her birthday were any other day, I would happily celebrate with her, as I do like her, but I find her family’s birthday fervor upsetting.

—Happy Birthday to Me

Re: This person is supposedly an adult. I need to see the receipts.

• Options
    I can understand feeling left out, but that's on LW's family not the friend. You can't expect someone else to tone down their celebrations because you don't get the same. 
  • Options
    My older sister's bday is on my dad's bday, so she's always had to share the celebration with him.  My younger sister's bday is close to Thanksgiving, so she got presents with her turkey.  My birthday is almost a month after Christmas.  My mom has made her career in retail and had conferences in January when I was growing up (slowest time of the year).  My mom often was OOT on my actual bday.  And now I'm married to someone who's bday is 3 days after mine.  So we share any celebration.  

Were/are some years more difficulty than others?  Sure.  But I've taken to making my bday a good day for me.  I don't work and I do what I want to do.  If we can make bday plans on or around our bdays, we do.  If not, then it is what it is. 

I say all that to say that LW needs to explore her feelings on this.  I don't think it's about her bday or having to share it.  And she also needs to learn that she cannot control people's thoughts or actions and your birthday is just another day to everyone else.  She needs to make a new tradition all on her own for her bday.  Book a spa day, take a trip, do something she loves to do but doesn't indulge in that often.  

• Options

baconsmom said:

Try sharing a birthday with Jesus. Honestly. 

Lol, I have an ex-b/f whose bday is New Year's Eve.  He did hate that.  But solved some of his angst by just throwing his own bday/New Year's Eve party, every year. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Is LW 9? Why is she acting like this as a 28 yo woman? Get over it. Go out with your friends. If they can't make it they'll do something with you another time. 

• Options
    Homegirl needs to branch out and move to another city.  Or celebrate her half birthday.  

Or maybe everyone can give her a bag of sticks so she can start building a bridge to get over it.
  • Options
    I'm not a big birthday person.  Neither is my family. The last birthday party that was thrown for me was when I was about 6.  Birthdays were low key, special dinner type events.

I think even I would be annoyed that 100% of the attention for 28 years goes towards another person. My brothers are twins.  We were able to celebrate both birthdays equally.  Each got a cake.  Each got to pick the birthday restaurant.  One year we would go to brother A's choice.  Brother B's choice another day.  Reverse the next year.

At this point I'm sure the other party has a market on the actual day.  There are certain people who start planning next year's party during the current year's party.  Thus always having monopoly on the date so to speak.   That is just the way it is.  Especially if you come from a big birthday celebration family.

That said, the LW needs to just get over it.  She sounds like a martyr with her whole "I don't want to put my friends on the position of choosing".   I read that that she is is either insecure and doesn't think people wouldn't show up.  

Or that for so long she blew off her own wants of celebrating on her actual birthday that 28 years later people might not even know her true feelings on the subject.   Family and friends are not mind readers. If every year she seems okay with the other party getting the attention they will continue to think that way unless told other wise.

She is not in a good mental state to go to this year's party.  Just decline.  Find some other friends/family  to celebrate.   Then start planning her own party next year.  Or just come to terms that her family and friends are just not into throwing parties like the other b-day-twin does.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

It didn't hit me when I first read the letter but, assuming this is these women's 28th birthday, it's really odd there is a party being thrown at all.

Go out with a few friends to a restaurant and/or bar for a random year bday.  Sure.  Have a party for a milestone bday.  Sure.  That's what is typical for people over the age of 16.

Not saying there is anything wrong with a bday party for 28...or 33 or 47 or whatever.  Just that it's unusual.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm a little late but I wanted to add that my DH is a twin and was born on Jan. 4th.  His father was born Jan. 6th so all three birthdays often got lumped together as one celebration.  Since they all followed Christmas/New Years and were three B-Days in 3 Days he felt that he often got less than others...until he was like 10!

If I was a mutual friend to these girls I would gladly take any excuse to go out and party two weekends in a row! I have a feeling that the LW has been harboring her feelings for a very long time, but no one knows what she really wants because she doesn't tell anyone.

• Options

It didn't hit me when I first read the letter but, assuming this is these women's 28th birthday, it's really odd there is a party being thrown at all.

Go out with a few friends to a restaurant and/or bar for a random year bday.  Sure.  Have a party for a milestone bday.  Sure.  That's what is typical for people over the age of 16.

Not saying there is anything wrong with a bday party for 28...or 33 or 47 or whatever.  Just that it's unusual.

I know some 28 year olds who still make a huge fucking deal out of their birthday. Like, multiple day trips to Vegas every year. It's too much. 

• Options

levioosa said:

I know some 28 year olds who still make a huge fucking deal out of their birthday. Like, multiple day trips to Vegas every year. It's too much. 

But if that's how they want to celebrate, what's the harm? If I could take the time and had the money to go away every year for my birthday, I definitely would do it. 
  • Options

levioosa said:

But if that's how they want to celebrate, what's the harm? If I could take the time and had the money to go away every year for my birthday, I definitely would do it. 

No harm at all, as long as no friends are pressured to go with them. If I wanted to go to Vegas by myself or with DH every year, awesome, but if I expect my girlfriends to go or consider them bad friends, too much.
  • Options

levioosa said:

The big deal is when they throw a tantrum when other members of the group want to go to a different bar, or take a nap during the day (all things I have witnessed). And when they guilt trip their friends into going on the trip.  That's what I'm talking about by saying "they make it a big fucking deal." If my friends want to take a trip and say, "hey, let's do this trip and we can celebrate your birthday too!" it's all good, but I'm not being a brat and pouting when people want to go to a different bar or guilting anyone into taking the trip.  The people I know get suuuper put out if their friends are like, "hey, can we just do dinner? I can't afford Vegas this year."