Wedding Invitations & Paper

Replying to invitation w/o response card

HeffalumpHeffalump member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
@CMGragain: help!

Received a wedding invitation without a response card, which I understand was the norm until relatively recently.  I have never been in this situation, so I googled it and got conflicting info.  So I'm going to defer to your advice.

I know I need to reply with a handwritten note, and that's not an issue.  Is a notecard formal enough?  Should it be a plain white/ecru notecard?  I have these:

http://www.crane.com/crnImages/RF1405/Zoom-V1-RF1405.jpg

for everyday use, not sure whether they are too informal for this.  I also read somewhere that I should reply on my "personal stationery," or, failing that, plain note paper.   

If it matters, another page I read said something like "If you received an invitation without a response card, it was probably plain white engraved in black, for a very formal event" and it is none of these things.  The invitations are nice, but appropriate for a daytime event, nothing overly formal.

Thanks!

Re: Replying to invitation w/o response card

• I love your notecards! 

It could very well be that whomever was assembling the invitations forgot to enclose a response card. 

I think it's totally fine to send a note with your reply - but also perhaps mention in the note for them to contact you should they need your meal preferences?

• That's fine. You're way overthinking this. 

That's my signature move. :)
  • I also love your bee notecards!

• I also love your bee notecards!

Thanks!  I love them too.  They are perfect for just about anything: note to the teacher, dropping in a neighbor's mailbox, thanking my coworker for covering for me while I was out, etc.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your notecards.
  • I think your notecards are fine. There is "form" way of responding to an invitation - I'm sure Cranes has the proper wording. You basically repeat the invitation using your name to accept the invitation.

Beachmusic accepts/declines host's invitation to attend the marriage/wedding of Bride and Groom on date at place. This of course is the formal way. You could also write an informal note if you think the couple would prefer that.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    Sorry, I haven't been feeling well.  Damn chemo!

The others are right.  In modern times, your notecards are fine.  Forty one years ago, I had engraved notecards for formal responses.  I used them up long ago.  They are seldom needed in modern times.

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
    regret that they are unable to attend
    the wedding of Jane Bride and James Groom
    on Date
    City, State

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
    accept the kind invitation
    to attend the wedding of Jane Bride and James Groom
    onDate
    at time o'clock
    City, State
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• CMGragain said:

Sorry, I haven't been feeling well.  Damn chemo!

The others are right.  In modern times, your notecards are fine.  Forty one years ago, I had engraved notecards for formal responses.  I used them up long ago.  They are seldom needed in modern times.

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
    regret that they are unable to attend
    the wedding of Jane Bride and James Groom
    on Date
    City, State

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
    accept the kind invitation
    to attend the wedding of Jane Bride and James Groom
    onDate
    at time o'clock
    City, State

Thank you!  Hope you are feeling better soon.