Wedding Woes

Wednesday

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited June 2017 in Wedding Woes
What up kids?

Wood painting was fun.  
My sign turned out cute.  I just need to figure out where to hang it up. 

Our lawnmower died last week (a zero-turn) and thankfully, it was only the battery. Hopefully my lawn won't look like a jungle for too much longer.  ;) 

The next couple days are dedicated to getting DH and the kiddo prepared for their trip.  I hope DefConn isn't too sad when they roll out on Friday.  DH went back and forth on taking him, but since they want to hike, he decided against it.  DefConn is just too young yet.  Also, I think a trip with just the kiddo is a good thing for them. 

Re: Wednesday

• Hello!

I'm exhausted today. The pup was up sick with an upset stomach all night, and last night was also the night H became the world's most sound sleeper. So I got up with her (not an easy feat lately) repeatedly throughout the night. 

And now I have an upset stomach as well. Arrghh. 

Luckily I have a busy day at work doing mostly heads-down designing, so the end of the day should come quickly. 
  • @mrsconn23  that should be fun for kiddo and your H! :) My yard looked like a jungle and when M was weed whacking, I was funny and played "welcome to the jungle" ;)

@sparklepants41  poor pup :( I wonder if your H will hear baby cry ... it's a different pitch apparently, so hopefully for your sake.
    Is pup feeling better?

Not much last night. M and I have been exhausted lately, so he took a nap on the couch when he got home. I almost did but I knew if I did, I wouldn't sleep that night.

I should have made my lunch, but apparently watching videos on youtube was more important. So I picked up food this morning.

Tonight is groceries. We're doing them early because tomorrow we have a company coming to see about central air and on Friday M is at the home opener for football with his stepdad.

Is it the weekend yet? I'm tired ...
  • edited June 2017
    I hope MrConn and kiddo have fun on their trip. It will be nice for them to have some one on one time.

Hope you feel better Sparklepants! 

Friend stopped by for coffee coffee today and we had a much needed catch up. 
    DH got his license the other day and is itching to drive. Conveniently, he has to go to Dubai tomorrow so we are renting a car. I am tagging along to stop by the quilt store and maybe, if there is enough time, the textile souq. DH doesn't think he will be busy for more than a couple hours though and you know I can spend a couple hours in a fabric store.

Question for the Moms: The baby registry thread got me thinking. I was going to pick up some extra fabric to make a baby quilt for DH's cousin who is due in September. But since everyone seems to get the boatload of blankets, should I not? And if it is okay, is the pink and mint trend overdone/ over? Idk how they are decorating the nursery but the pictures from the baby shower was very pink with splashes of green. 

Edit to change: baby shower, not bridal
  • @DrillSergeantCat Unfortunate about your friend. I don't understand how you were being a pos friend or self-absorbed though .... sounds like that person was just calling names to be a dick.
    I wouldn't put too much worry or hurt into that, she's going to be hurting a lot of people and then realize you were right.

• Question for the Moms: The baby registry thread got me thinking. I was going to pick up some extra fabric to make a baby quilt for DH's cousin who is due in September. But since everyone seems to get the boatload of blankets, should I not? And if it is okay, is the pink and mint trend overdone/ over? Idk how they are decorating the nursery but the pictures from the baby shower was very pink with splashes of green. 

For me...I think anything handmade is lovely and a keepsake.  My grandma made a quilt for DefConn and we hung it on the wall of his nursery.  

• Question for the Moms: The baby registry thread got me thinking. I was going to pick up some extra fabric to make a baby quilt for DH's cousin who is due in September. But since everyone seems to get the boatload of blankets, should I not? And if it is okay, is the pink and mint trend overdone/ over? Idk how they are decorating the nursery but the pictures from the baby shower was very pink with splashes of green. 

Not a mom, but I have a cousin who makes baby quilts for showers.   At least in my family, they are very well received over store bought ones.  There is something special about a homemade quilt.     I would just make it anyway.

Good morning.     

I have to work a double today  :(   I washed and dried my uniform yesterday.  Just went to pull it out and it's still wet.    Now I'm hoping it will be dry in the next 15 minutes.       

Have a good day!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My folks are here to take 6let to an indoor play place. The other two are currently occupied in swim lessons. If max could get his TRex arms going he'd be pretty good. 

Im trying to prep as much today for card club tomorrow. 

I loved keepsake stuff but be prepared to do it for any subsequent kid. I'm a little sad m2 and max don't have the stuff 6let does. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    There's a bug sales meeting Friday and I'm getting inundated with requests for me to update stuff. It's good but the days are packed this week!
  • MrsConn - I think the road trip with just DH and kiddo will be great for the two of them!

DSC - The statement you made was an honest one for when she asked why so many people were asking which ceremony was the real one.  Sometimes the truth hurts.  Your friend's friend is a dick though. 

MJL - I received a handmade quilt from a friend and I love it for DD.  It hangs over her crib for right now and will eventually be used on her, when she is allowed blankets.  Can you spy out the mom's registry to get an idea of colors?  I know one of my registries asked to explain the nursery colors & theme.  I know I initially registered for a pink and mint bedding set for DD and it was discontinued by the time it got closer to my shower.  I ended up just registering for crib sheets and skipped a bedding set.

Last night it was just DD and I.  I did good.  I was able to eat my delicious hoagie in peace.  In addition to our normal routine, I also was able to bathe her, which I usually wait until H is around to make it easier.  I also got the dishes done, washed DD clothes, and did some other cleaning.  I felt more productive than nights H is around! LOL! 

I scored a big baby gate off a FB yardsale page this morning and I pick it up at lunch.  Then off to Kohls for a return and then Target.  Hoping I can get it all done in an hour.  Tonight is my first yoga class at the office since my return to work, I really need it too!  I got a crock pot meal started, so H will just need to boil up some noodles and dinner will be magically done for us when I get home after yoga.  Not much else going on.

• MrsConn - I think the road trip with just DH and kiddo will be great for the two of them!

BIL is going as well, but BIL and DH are BFF's and the kiddo's really close with him too.  Also, with BIL going they'll be able to go a lot more places since they have 2 drivers (2.5...sort of.  The kiddo's permitted, but DH has a stick and the kiddo's still learning.).
  • Thanks everyone. My godfather's mom made my sister and I quilts when we were born and we used them till they were in shreds. I am actually trying to have quilts become my "thing" but don't want to give people unwanted gifts.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @DrillSergeantCat I bet you can't wait for closing to get all of this behind you!

@missJeanLouise we definitely got an abundance of blankets but I still like having the handmade ones so I can say so-and-so made this for you. My challenge is having multiple ones from the same person (so my mom made a couple, I have a few from my grandma, a few from H's mom that she must have made years ago before passing away). If it was just one that would be better

• @charlotte989875 She really didn't say anything. I ended up blocking the friend because every response was terrible and name-calling. I can only assume my realtor missed it because it was on page 4. He said it's only happened twice in 16 years. He also was scheduled for 2 closings on the same day/time with me and another couple last week and said that was the first time in 16 years. 

I texted my friend and just said, "I apologize I upset you." She said she chose not to be upset. Apparently, everyone else gave her enough confirmation that she can ignore the facts. I'm assuming her family that will be travelling from out of state will be the ones who will be truly hurt by not witnessing her marriage.

@missJeanLouise I would have loved a handmade quilt. My mom and I crochet (she's infinitely better than I) and she gave me crocheted blankets for Mouse, PG, and my wedding. I love them so much.

• @kvruns that is a bet you'd win.
  • I think there's a big difference between a handmade quilt and a purchased one. I've only seen someone complain about a handmade quilt once, and, well...they're kind of self absorbed and shitty, so I won't even count that one. Everyone else I've ever seen receive a handmade quilt has been touched and has treasured it. 

Im a little torn about what to do today. I finally have the day off. Kitten needs to go to the vet, but we'll be gone all day tomorrow and I don't want her to get a vaccine when I won't be around to see the reaction. Especially after the last time. And if I go Friday and she has a reaction over the weekend it will be 3x as expensive to take her in. She also has a weepy eye so I don't want to wait until next week either. I'll probably end up taking her in on Friday. But ugh. Kitten why? 

Today is my first day off in three days and I'm so happy. I have a bunch of homework to do and I have to do it because it's due today, but I think I'm going to try to squeeze in gym and nails too. Tomorrow I am going to breakfast with my mom and spending the day with her. Then SO is coming over and we're going to dinner with my parents. After talking to my mom last night I don't think family dog is going to make it 4 more weeks, so it's good we're going over tomorrow to say goodbye. 

• Another vote for loving a handmade quilt.  DD now uses a quilt my grandmother made me as a young girl.  Such a work-intensive, lovely gift.

I'm bored at work this week.  Dusted everything.  Reorganized the books... I need a new chair, so I might go shopping for that at lunch.  Exciting, I know.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    oh yeah, homemade quilts go over well in our circle too!
    @drillsergeantcat, the old tenants verbally told me that the washer and dryer was staying in my house so I was really happy about that.  On the day of the walk through I found out they took them LAST MINUTE.  I had no leg to stand on since it wasn't in the written agreement.  That sucked.  They took the stove too, but that was always agreed upon. 
    @heffalump, I can't wait to see pictures of the wedding! You'll have to re-cap it like it's your own :) 

My hammock hanging chairs arrive today! So excited for those.  DH is home so he can drag them into the house (I was worried he'd be working the day they came in since it was a "arrive anywhere from 19-23rd thing and I'm a weaking) and maybe he can put them together for me while he's at it :) 

Tomorrow is my Friday but I have a TON to do before my parents arrive.

edit: our office ordered Mediterranean food for lunch today, at like, literally 9:00 a.m (so we could get the order in quick).  You don't do that to someone. You don't do that to someone who loves food as much as I do.  Is it noon yet?

Not a mom, and seems like you will make the quilt but another vote to do it :)

My nana knitted a bunch of things {mostly mitts} when I was born and my mum kept it.
    I have a blanket still that I had as a baby. You never know what the child will love.

Also, like @mrsconn23  said, there is always the option of hanging it on a wall :)

• Heffalump said:

@mrsconn23, what are you and DefConn up to when the big guys are gone?

We're *finally* going to see BIL/SIL's new house in Cincy.   They bought a house in February and finished renovations in April, but we had such a hectic spring that I haven't had a chance to get down there.  (The first weekend I planned to go, we ended up in IL for GFIL's funeral and then I was going to go the weekend before Memorial Day, but I was so sick).  

I work this Saturday and then we'll head down there.  I took Monday off.  So I'm not sure if we're going to stay one or two nights.  I have to work Tues, Thu, Fri next week.  Weds we might do something my mom and nephew.

The following weekend we have a family friend's bday party to go to and then SIL/nieces will be in town, so I may hit her up to get together.  DH is planning to be back on the 3rd and I'm off the 3rd-5th.  

We'll definitely be keeping busy enough.  But not too busy.  ;) 
  • @levioosa I'm so so sorry about your dog. Hugs for you. It's always hardest to say goodbye to those who loved us so purely and unconditionally. 
  • @sparklepants41 Thanks. I feel bad for my parents. They are really upset about it. Poor pup was supposed to have one of the super slow growing cancers that doesn't really metastasize but it went the opposite way and grew fast and went everywhere instead. 

• I'm alive.

Melissa Etheridge was amazing.  She's tiny too.  And you can tell she still loves what she does.  She played a solid 2 hours, with maybe 20 seconds in-between each song to just change guitars.  The sound check was great.  I'll have pics soon.

Pride went well.  Nothing but compliments so far.  City gave us perfect score afterwards (even though I accidentally violated noise ordinance), and fire marshall pissed me off, enough that I intend to make an official complaint to whoever I need to.  

Also, drama has already started for 2018.  And I'm throwing down about it.  If I don't get my way, I'm washing my hands of the entire thing b/c they're trying to move the traditional date of a 4000 person festival to accommodate an event that had 68 people at it (and could pick another day).  An event that lasts 4 hours, so you can do both Pride and this other event that lasted 4 hours.  And while I absolutely agree that lifting marginalized voices is terribly important, this is not the way to do it.  I've offered a free booth and time on the Pride stage, happily, actually, for them to educate about the event.  I'm not moving the event date.  Moving forward or backward interferes with the other 2 biggest cities pride (costing me attendees/vendors/performers) or our sister city.  This is the date, this is it, this is life.  I'm livid it's even being given lip service.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

CMGragain said:

DD's MIL machine quilts for a living with one of those fancy frame machines.  She had a pile of lap quilts she had made in her spare time.  When DD mentioned she was worried about getting the right gifts for her bridesmaids, that lovely lady said, "Here!  Pick some! Give them each a quilt."  The bridesmaids were delighted with the gift, and, of course, DD gave MIL credit.  Huge hit!
    Yes, do the quilt!  My adult children still have the baby quilts that I made for them.  (AW - brag:  a photo of one of mine was published in Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, and received a third place ribbon at the NQA national quilt show.)

I wish I had such talents!  I am not a hugely sentimental person, and tend to purge things if they haven't "moved" in a week.  However, one thing I did save was the baby blankets/quilts of my own kiddos.  I was able to have them reinvented/cut apart and made into new quilts for the grandbabies.  I am so glad I did it! 

• levioosa said:

@sparklepants41 Thanks. I feel bad for my parents. They are really upset about it. Poor pup was supposed to have one of the super slow growing cancers that doesn't really metastasize but it went the opposite way and grew fast and went everywhere instead. 

That's kind of what happened to our pup at the end of November. We found out she had liver cancer which is supposed to be slow in its progression, and then 3 days later we had to say goodbye. Cancer sucks. 
  • Glad that Pride went smoothly, @VarunaTT! Wishing you best of luck with the scheduling for 2018!