Wedding Etiquette Forum

Enough With the Photos ...

ernursejernursej member
First Answer First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
edited July 2017 in Wedding Etiquette Forum

So ... small rant here.

Went to a wedding yesterday and throughout the whole ceremony, the couple in front of us were completely absorbed taking photographs. It was to the point that it really impacted our ability to enjoy the ceremony. They were holding up iPads, at one point standing up and then moved to the aisle and were constantly showing each other what they had just taken.

I don't advocate for telling adults to be in the moment and prohibiting guests taking photos, but I did express my frustration to the rude photo taking couple after the ceremony. They told me that they weren't told to avoid doing so by the Officiant so we shouldn't have had an issue with it. At that point, I just shook my head and walked away. Some people just don't see the forest through the trees.

I would have moved had their been extra seats and if it wouldn't have caused a commotion.

I really hope that they got the shots that they were looking for and will look back on those shots as the only memories they have of that ceremony.

Edited - to make it clear that I did not talk to the bride and groom about the behaviour but to the rude photo taking couple. I would never tell the bride and groom something like this. This was out of their control.

Re: Enough With the Photos ...

• Some people are so rude. I have a photographer friend who said she wasn't able to get "the kiss" shot at one wedding because of all the guests in the way with their cell phone cameras. Yes, it's rude to block another guest's view of the ceremony, and it's even worse to get in the way of the professional photographer that the couple PAID to get good pictures. Or they just get a shot with a bunch of cell phones in the picture. I hope your friend's photographer was able to get some good pictures. I have only taken pictures at one wedding because the bride mentioned to me that they couldn't afford a professional photographer and I was in the back pew so I wasn't blocking anyone. And I certainly didn't post it to Facebook. I emailed it to her. She can choose to post it if she wants. 
  • Totally understand being annoyed with those obnoxious guests!

Do not understand complaining to the couple about something entirely out of their control / being annoyed with them for not doing something widely considered rude and micromanage-y.
  • MobKaz said:
    ernursej said:

So ... small rant here.

Went to a wedding yesterday and throughout the whole ceremony, the couple in front of us were completely absorbed taking photographs. It was to the point that it really impacted our ability to enjoy the ceremony. They were holding up iPads, at one point standing up and then moved to the aisle and were constantly showing each other what they had just taken.

I don't advocate for telling adults to be in the moment and prohibiting guests taking photos, but I did express my frustration to the couple after the ceremony. They told me that they weren't told to avoid doing so by the Officiant so we shouldn't have had an issue with it. At that point, I just shook my head and walked away. Some people just don't see the forest through the trees.

I would have moved had their been extra seats and if it wouldn't have caused a commotion.

I really hope that they got the shots that they were looking for and will look back on those shots as the only memories they have of that ceremony.

These are the people that give "unplugged" brides the argument they need to justify their rudeness.

@ernursej, I applaud your patience.  I would tolerate that distraction only so long before making my presence known.  I would not have waited until the end of the ceremony. 

There was no way I could without attracting more attention and I didn't want to take more away from the ceremony. I was worried that the guests might escalate their behaviour.
  • Some people are so rude. I have a photographer friend who said she wasn't able to get "the kiss" shot at one wedding because of all the guests in the way with their cell phone cameras. Yes, it's rude to block another guest's view of the ceremony, and it's even worse to get in the way of the professional photographer that the couple PAID to get good pictures. Or they just get a shot with a bunch of cell phones in the picture. I hope your friend's photographer was able to get some good pictures. I have only taken pictures at one wedding because the bride mentioned to me that they couldn't afford a professional photographer and I was in the back pew so I wasn't blocking anyone. And I certainly didn't post it to Facebook. I emailed it to her. She can choose to post it if she wants. 

Thankfully, their photographer wasn't impacted.

I think that guests should be allowed to take photos (sometimes they get unique viewpoints) but really, adults should be aware how to do that without getting in the way of anyone's enjoyment of the ceremony. I agree that one should never post anything on Facebook before the couple posts something. Unfortunately, the majority of weddings I go to, someone has posted something before the end of the night.

• Totally understand being annoyed with those obnoxious guests!

Do not understand complaining to the couple about something entirely out of their control / being annoyed with them for not doing something widely considered rude and micromanage-y.

Sorry - I should edit my post for clarity ... I complained to the rude couple taking photos. I would never say anything to the bride/groom.
  • @ernursej Ah sorry I misunderstood! I commend you for speaking up to them. Sounds like they didn't get the message, but perhaps they'll pause to think at the next wedding they attend.
  • I worked in tourism, and so many people will pull out the iPad for photos. I don't understand it. You block other's view, it's huge and unwieldy. You're literally going back in time to the days of huge cameras. Why?
  • AddieCake said:
    Who brings an iPad to a wedding?
    One time my parents came to watch me run a half marathon (very nice of them, since watching people run is BORING AF). I turned a corner and BAM saw my mom standing there, almost in the road, holding up her iPad.

Since then, I've seen it a lot more often but it still makes me laugh. Maybe they have trouble seeing the small screen on their phone?
  • AddieCake said:
    Who brings an iPad to a wedding?
    This is something I could picture my mother doing, sadly. She's forever on her iPad.
  • So annoying!! 

I'm pro allowing people to take their own photos - but I do think many people go over board. Knottief427f7821dbe2794 Knottief427f7821dbe2794
    (you should change your name so we know who you are.) This I find shocking - like you think you're going to get a better shot with your iPhone (Ipad I can't with that!) than the paid photographer!!!!

Also, I think I would have taped them on the shoulder and asked them to stop blocking my view. 
    It's rude
    the worst!!

• scribe95 said:
    Tap, tap on shoulder. Whisper - "excuse me, your ipad is blocking my view of the ceremony. Thanks."

I worry about doing something like this and the person causing a scene. I would rather have discomfort and ensure that my actions not cause a scene. I would have been mortified if I tapped them and something happened.
  • So annoying!! 

I'm pro allowing people to take their own photos - but I do think many people go over board. Knottief427f7821dbe2794 Knottief427f7821dbe2794
    (you should change your name so we know who you are.) This I find shocking - like you think you're going to get a better shot with your iPhone (Ipad I can't with that!) than the paid photographer!!!!

Also, I think I would have taped them on the shoulder and asked them to stop blocking my view. 
    It's rude
    the worst!!

@Australian_girl_in_Paris I have no idea how to change the display name, ha ha! Anyone able to walk me through it? And yeah, my photographer friend felt terrible. She has a lot of experience and is used to trying to work around guests, but this group made it impossible. 
  • @Australian_girl_in_Paris I have no idea how to change the display name, ha ha! Anyone able to walk me through it? And yeah, my photographer friend felt terrible. She has a lot of experience and is used to trying to work around guests, but this group made it impossible. 
    From the home page, go to Tools, then account settings and you can change your username there.
  • @Australian_girl_in_Paris I have no idea how to change the display name, ha ha! Anyone able to walk me through it? And yeah, my photographer friend felt terrible. She has a lot of experience and is used to trying to work around guests, but this group made it impossible. 
    From the home page, go to Tools, then account settings and you can change your username there.
    Aha! Thank you very much! I changed it, so hopefully it shows up now. Thanks again!
    Aha! Thank you very much! I changed it, so hopefully it shows up now. Thanks again!
    Doesn't seem to have worked, but the knot has been twitchy lately.
  • I worked in tourism, and so many people will pull out the iPad for photos. I don't understand it. You block other's view, it's huge and unwieldy. You're literally going back in time to the days of huge cameras. Why?
    httpdumbfunnydrunkcomuploadsipadpicjpg
    I didn't want to spend the time to find this, but this is what I thought of.
  • edited July 2017
    I was completely planning on having an "Unplugged" ceremony, but after reading this I am re-considering... But we are spending so much on a photographer and videographer, and I am always the one judging people for getting in the way at weddings I have attended. 

On a side note my soon to be sister in law (my sister is engaged to her partner as well) has offered to squirt people with a water gun if needed... This may be taking it a bit far... lmao 
  • I was completely planning on having an "Unplugged" ceremony, but after reading this I am re-considering... But we are spending so much on a photographer and videographer, and I am always the one judging people for getting in the way at weddings I have attended. 

On a side note my soon to be sister in law (my sister is engaged to her partner as well) has offered to squirt people with a water gun if needed... This may be taking it a bit far... lmao 
    Just have your officiant remind everyone to turn off their cell phones before the ceremony starts. Anything else is considered rude.

My original post was a rant about one wedding. The majority of the weddings that I have been to have been fine. I think @DrillSergeantCat suggestion is a perfect idea.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I was completely planning on having an "Unplugged" ceremony, but after reading this I am re-considering... But we are spending so much on a photographer and videographer, and I am always the one judging people for getting in the way at weddings I have attended. 

Please don't.  As others have said, it is perfectly acceptable and appropriate to have your officiant remind your guests to silence their cell phones.  Beyond that......
    http://forums.theknot.com/search?Search=unplugged+wedding&CategoryID=35

httpdumbfunnydrunkcomuploadsipadpicjpg
    I didn't want to spend the time to find this, but this is what I thought of.
    I was going to post this in my response but couldn't get it to work with mobile. 
  • driddrid member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Our photographer took a photo from behind of both of DHs parents sitting together in the front row with their phones in front of their faces taking the exact same pics of the whole ceremony. I'm not pissed but I do find it hilarious. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just generally don't understand it when people take photos with their iPad.
  • My dad was on his phone during our ceremony when we were exchanging vows.  Later I realised he was 'checking in' to our remote ceremony venue and tagging all the guests there that he had on Facebook, it was hilarious!  We weren't offended at all but it was quite funny to see.