Wedding Etiquette Forum

How can I invite "extras" on my cruise wedding!?

FI and I have planned a private ceremony in Grand Cayman during a 5 day cruise. Although the ceremony itself is limited to us and our parents, we would love to have friends sail with us. We are also doing a big at home reception afterwards. My question is, is it rude to invite friends on the cruise but not the ceremony. How do I word their invitations??

Re: How can I invite "extras" on my cruise wedding!?

• Why wouldn't you also love to include your friends at the ceremony?

I'm not a fan of AHRs.  I don't understand inviting people to a party to commemorate an event they weren't invited to in the 1st place. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Why wouldn't you also love to include your friends at the ceremony?

I'm not a fan of AHRs.  I don't understand inviting people to a party to commemorate an event they weren't invited to in the 1st place. . .
    This.

If they're already on the cruise, why wouldn't you want them at the ceremony. (Though that opens up a whole other can of worms, like will you pay for their cruise, etc.)
  • Don't do this. It wouldn't bother me to spend the money on a cruise to celebrate a friend, but I would be pissed if I spent the money and didn't get to see the wedding. Either open up the ceremony to anyone who joins the cruise or don't invite.

If you have an immediate family only ceremony, I'm more tolerant of an at home reception but please don't make it wedding 2.0. No one wants to feel like a leftover.

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Just invite the friends to attend the ceremony too.  I imagine it won't be a very big group, if it's an intimate wedding you want.  
  • They're not "extras", they're your friends. I personally wouldn't want to go on a cruise with you, spend all that money, attend your AHR, if I didn't even get to see you get married. Why not open up the ceremony for everyone that attends? If they're important enough to you that they be there for the cruise, why wouldn't you want them at the ceremony?
  • edited July 2017
    The fact that you even thought this was something you should ask about is ridiculous. It's great that you asked before just doing, sure, but holy crap why do you think this was something anyone would validate you on? It's so rude and tacky. I honestly hope this is MUD more than any post.

If you'd "love" to have these "extras" sail with you I hope you want to pay for their trip, too. Because otherwise you're just being selfish. Just invite them to your "big" AHR and be done with it, especially if you won't even include these people in your ceremony. They won't feel honored if you graciously allow them to crash your honeymoon, they'll feel used at best.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2017
    You are welcome to invite friends to sail with you on your vacation/honeymoon.  Of course, you will be paying for their cruise!  Right?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg