Attire & Accessories Forum

Rehearsal Dress

I recently bought a dress that I am going to wear for my engagement photos and the dress is to die for! We are opting for a glam outdoor engagement shoot and our wedding is going to be outside with a kind of enchanted garden feel. My question is, I spent $500.00 on my engagement dress and I only planned to wear it for the photos. However, we have recently decided to have a rehearsal dinner and I am wondering if I should wear the dress to the dinner. I have copied and pasted the link below of the dress ... also, my groom to be is going to wear a tux at the rehearsal dinner and we are planning to have the dinner at an upscale restaurant that fits into our theme and is romantic.

Should I wear the engagement shoot dress to the rehearsal dinner??

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_soft-lace-wedding-dress-with-low-back-4xlwg3827

Thank you ladies!

Answers

• I recently bought a dress that I am going to wear for my engagement photos and the dress is to die for! We are opting for a glam outdoor engagement shoot and our wedding is going to be outside with a kind of enchanted garden feel. My question is, I spent $500.00 on my engagement dress and I only planned to wear it for the photos. However, we have recently decided to have a rehearsal dinner and I am wondering if I should wear the dress to the dinner. I have copied and pasted the link below of the dress ... also, my groom to be is going to wear a tux at the rehearsal dinner and we are planning to have the dinner at an upscale restaurant that fits into our theme and is romantic.

Should I wear the engagement shoot dress to the rehearsal dinner??

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_soft-lace-wedding-dress-with-low-back-4xlwg3827

Thank you ladies!

I mean, you can wear whatever you want to your RD, but this is a wedding dress. It seems kind of odd to wear a wedding dress two days in a row, but it's totally personal preference. If I were you, I'd get something fabulous from Rent The Runway instead. 

As long as you aren't telling guests they need to wear black tie just because your FI is choosing to wear a tux and you a gown, you're A-OK.
    *********************************************************************************

• Also, I'm going to move this thread to Attire and Accessories, since it's about attire.
    *********************************************************************************

• Can I ask why your FI is going to wearing a tux to the RD?  Are the rest of your guests aware that the RD is this fancy?  I've been to countless RDs and I've never seen the B&G dressed so fancy. And if I arrived and found the B&G to be in a wedding dress and tux, not only would I be confused, I might be uncomfortable if I felt I was under-dressed. 
  • It is going to be a formal event and of course the guest would know ahead of time. Of course we aren't sure on the deets but that is why I am here discussing it with you gals. :) I love the dress and I want to use it beyond a photo shoot but I am just unsure.
  • Scribe, Well we aren't sure, and if he wears a tux, it won't be a full tux, more a relaxed, no tie type of thing. Again, I am not sure, which is why I am asking about the dress.
  • What's a more relaxed tux? I'm even more confused now. A tux without a tie is not a tux. 

I've truly never seen such a high level of dress at a restaurant, including the Michelin starred restaurants I've dined in. 

Are you having an after party? Maybe you could wear the dress at that. 
  • I attached a photo of what I was considering ... an after party? I am still considering it, again, I was just trying to decide if the dress should be worn. I initially felt like it would be bit much but I love the dress lol ... I have seen couples dressed like this for their events and I loved it.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/358458451582555574/

• We may consider a ballroom type of setting so that is also an option, IF I opt to utilize the dress. I want the rehearsal dinner to be fun but memorable, not simply just a dinner, especially since it will be the first time of our families getting together to celebrate us for the first time intimately. I am only wanting to invite parents to the rehearsal dinner and their spouses.
  • My apologies, here is the link ... I am not sure what men call this look? Though I like it because it is formal yet ...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/358458451582555574/

• That's just a suit without a tie.

Here's a LINK that explains the difference. In addition to the fabric and style difference, a tuxedo is meant for black tie events - think presidential galas, dinners with heads of state, the Oscars... Elements of a "black tie" event are valet, butler coat check, gloved appetizer/drink service, live band, multi-course seated meal, etc. I highly highly doubt your rehearsal dinner meets these standards. Wearing a tuxedo would seem SUPER out of place and awkward.

A suit with a basic button down and no tie would seem very normal and appropriate. 

When you say this though:
    It is going to be a formal event and of course the guest would know ahead of time. 
    It's important to realize that it's against etiquette to dictate the formality of your event - whether it's "formal" "beach casual" or whatever. What you CAN do to get the message across is choose a fancy venue (which you've done), choose fancy stationary for the invitation, use formal wording and embossing/engraving, hire a calligrapher, etc. The fancier the invitation, the fancier the event - that's how people know what to wear. Telling people what to wear is tacky.

• Ahh! Thank you so much southernbelle!
  • You can wear whatever you want, but I would find it odd for the bride to be to wear a wedding dress to the rehearsal dinner.
  • We may consider a ballroom type of setting so that is also an option, IF I opt to utilize the dress. I want the rehearsal dinner to be fun but memorable, not simply just a dinner, especially since it will be the first time of our families getting together to celebrate us for the first time intimately. I am only wanting to invite parents to the rehearsal dinner and their spouses.
    Are you having a rehearsal before this with any wedding party members? If so, they need to be invited to the rehearsal dinner too. 

If you like the dress and want to wear it, then wear it. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

This woman's dress does scream "glam outdoors photo shoot", whereas your dress is a wedding dress...the length and lace give it a romantic feel.  It's beautiful but I wouldn't call it glam.  I would want to wear a $500 dress more than once, but I don't know if I'd wear it to a RD.  
    And a suit without a tie like above and a tux are two very different levels of formality.  The suit is a good choice for an RD (depending on how formal it is).  
  • That pinterest picture you posted is lovely! Her dress screams more glam, while the dress you linked to definitely reads like a wedding dress. I wouldn't side-eye a white dress at the rehearsal & rehearsal dinner, but the one you linked would have me wondering. It's a beautiful dress, but it might take away from your actual wedding dress the next day.

Also, if I saw pictures of a couple in that white dress and a suit I would definitely assume they ran off & got married already. 
  • I'm sorry, but who wears sequins in a field of wheat?
  • I'm sorry, but who wears sequins in a field of wheat?
    It's 0% practical, 100% Pinterest-Joanna-Gaines-rustic-chic.
  • You are wearing a wedding dress in your engagement photos?  Weird.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Personally, I don't think it's a big deal, assuming your RD is that level of formal. Yes, it's a wedding dress but it just says wedding, it doesn't scream wedding if you know what I mean. I feel it could also read formal gown. For me, it's a combination of the silhouette, color, straps and neckline that make it seem a little less "wedding." 

I'm thinking of celebrities on the red carpet in white and ivory gowns. Many of them could be wedding dresses, but aren't necessarily. I feel this dress falls a bit in that category.
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2017
    I think you'll look ridiculous wearing a wedding dress to your rehearsal dinner. Under any circumstances but even more so because it's so small. 
  • You can wear whatever you would like to your RD.

Personally, I would want to tone the RD down so that the wedding the next day is 'the event'.

$500 is a lot to spend so I can appreciate wanting to get more wear out of it.

• edited August 2017
    It's a gorgeous dress and I understand wanting to wearing multiple times, but are you really going to want to rent (and pay for) a ballroom, all the amenities that come with a formal event for the rehearsals dinner, assuming you're also doing that for the wedding itself? That sounds exhausting (and expensive). 

You can wear wear anything you want to your rehearsal dinner, but remember you're then asking your guests to be in formal attire two nights in a row. If this is the norm in your family/social circle maybe it's not a big deal, but when you're hosting an event you set the tone and you have to think about your guests as well.