Attire & Accessories Forum

I Ordered My Wedding Dress! But...

Hi ladies, I need your help. I ordered a size 12 mermaid/trumpet style wedding dress. I'm kind of regretting it because I felt rushed and I'm not sure it was the best fit for my body type or will work well with my weight loss journey. The sample size I tried on in store happened to be a 12 and that is what the consultant recommend I order. My chest measured between a 12/14, my waist a 10 and my hips as a 6. A good amount already has to be taken in for my hips, but I had told them I was planning on losing some more weight (around 10-15 pounds). I tend to lose weight in my lower half (my butt) first and I tend to carry my weight in my stomach. My dilemma is that I already ordered a size up for my chest and if I lose more I'm not sure how alterations will go and how expensive they will be. I know people said no more than 2 dress sizes, but I'm again at a disadvantage since I already had to order up one size. I am really disappointed because I wish I lost this weight before I bought the dress but I needed to get one ASAP to ensure I got it before my wedding. The pictures are of the size 12, which I ordered. As you can see, they had to pin a lot in the hips. I don't forsee my hip size changing at all even if I lose weight, but again I had to already order a size up in my waist to accommodate my bust. It wouldn't be a big issue if the dress was a ball gown/a line but there is no wiggle room I feel with this type of form fitting dress. The top fits well even though I was between a 12 and 14 and went with the 12, but I'm kind of surprised. 

My mom suggested maybe not getting it altered so tight and not be so form fitting, but I'm not sure how that will look or how it will come together. 

Thank you for your help! 

**To show you the clip placement. This is the size I ordered**

**How it will look hopefully after alterations (pulled in with clips)**

**Dress without clips**

Re: I Ordered My Wedding Dress! But...

• It's a beautiful dress and you look wonderful
    in it. Stop worrying! They will alter it perfectly. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ditto Star it's lovely.  You already did the smartest thing- ordered the dress in the size of your largest measurement.  It's much easier for seamstresses to take in than add fabric.
    My dress was also lacey/form-fitting and I also have pretty different msmts chest vs. hips.  I ordered in the larger size and it came out really nice!
  • The dress looks great on you! I also had to order a size 14 because of my chest, and I wore a fit and flare. They did have to take it in quite a bit in the hips and waist, and it was very form fitted. But it looked great and I felt amazing in it. 
  • Wow that dress is beautiful! Ditto PPs...you ordered the right size. It's way easier to take things in than pull them out!
  • You may lose weight/tone, that doesn't mean your rib cage is going to go in - so that's something to consider.  It's ALWAYS easier to take a dress in than it is to let it out. Also, the sample you tried on has relaxed/stretched from so many individuals trying the tress on and taking it off, so the actual dress will fit slightly different once it arrives.  
  • Your dress is gorgeous and it looks amazing on you! PP are right, much easier to take in than it is to let out. I think the wedding nerves might be getting to you. Don't let this be a problem unless it becomes one, you might not have any issues at all since you'll most likely have multiple fittings to get the best fit that you feel comfortable in. Take a deep breath and have a glass of wine! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You look absolutely amazing.  
  • korinda76korinda76 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2017
    I always hate to blame wedding jitters when it comes to alterations, because I am extremely fussy about alterations being done exactly as I want them.  But even if you drop more weight, the dress as it is currently held with the clips isn't taking too much in that it looks beyond the skills of a seamstress who is used to doing wedding gowns.  These are difficult garments to alter - the tailors know what they are doing and it's important to remind yourself of that.  Keep dropping the weight if you would like, but I'm sure you know that at some point you have decide to be okay with the weight you are at and maintain so the dress fits as-is for the day of the wedding.  Maybe there are just a little bit of jitters at play here.  And even if you're not having jitters, the dress really does look fantastic on you at your current size in these photos.  You truly look awesome and you'll be a beautiful bride.  Have confidence in your tailor : )
  • Also, the samples you try on have often been tried on a hundred times and stretched out a bit. The size 12 you ordered could fit much tighter than the size 12 you tried on in the store!