Wedding Woes

Bonus Letter - AAM: Just quit now!

A reader writes:

I was hoping you would be able to help me with a conundrum I got myself into.

I have been an expat since graduating and have been moving a lot. More than a decade ago, when I was still young, I was in a relationship with a woman, Sylvia, in a country where we both lived. Sylvia wanted to settle down but I was not ready to commit so young. We clearly had different expectations from the relationship. I did not know what to do and, well, I ghosted her. Over the Christmas break, while she was visiting her family, I simply moved out and left the country. I took advantage of the fact that I accepted a job in other country and did not tell her about it. I simply wanted to avoid being untangled in a break-up drama. Sylvia was rather emotional and became obsessed with the relationship, tracking me down, even causing various scenes with my parents and friends.

Anyhow, fast forward to now. I now work as a math teacher in an international school. I have been in other relationships since, so Sylvia is a sort of forgotten history. Sadly, till now. This week, I learnt that our fantastic school director suddenly resigned due to a serious family situation and had to move back to her home country over the summer. The school had to replace her. We are getting a new director. I read the bio of the new boss and googled her and was shocked to discover it is Sylvia. We have not been in touch and do not have any mutual friends anymore. I am not a big fan of social media and had no idea what she had been up to since the unpleasant situation a long time ago.

I have no idea what to do and how to deal with this mess. It is clear this will be not only embarassing but I will also be reporting to my ex. I am not in a position to find another job at present. There are no other international schools so finding another job in this country is not an option. Even finding a job elsewhere is not possible on such a short notice. These jobs usually open for school terms so I have to stay put for few months. But more importantly, I am happy and settled here so do not want to move. To make the situation worse, the expat community here is very small and tightly knit so teachers also socialize a lot.

Do you have any suggestions for me how to handle it and what should I do? I understand that this would not have happened if I did not ghost her back then, but I cannot do anything about it now. I gathered from the comments that readers usually have a go on people like me for “bad behavior” but I am really looking for constructive comments how to deal with the situation.

Ooof. I wrote back and asked, “How long were you in the relationship with her?”

We were together for three years and lived together for two of those years. I know that ghosting is not a way to end the relationship but I cannot do much about it now. I appreciate the trouble you are taking with getting back to me.

Double oof.

Re: Bonus Letter - AAM: Just quit now!

• A reader writes:

I was hoping you would be able to help me with a conundrum I got myself into.

I have been an expat since graduating and have been moving a lot. More than a decade ago, when I was still young, I was in a relationship with a woman, Sylvia, in a country where we both lived. Sylvia wanted to settle down but I was not ready to commit so young. We clearly had different expectations from the relationship. I did not know what to do and, well, I ghosted her. Over the Christmas break, while she was visiting her family, I simply moved out and left the country. I took advantage of the fact that I accepted a job in other country and did not tell her about it. I simply wanted to avoid being untangled in a break-up drama. Sylvia was rather emotional and became obsessed with the relationship, tracking me down, even causing various scenes with my parents and friends.

Anyhow, fast forward to now. I now work as a math teacher in an international school. I have been in other relationships since, so Sylvia is a sort of forgotten history. Sadly, till now. This week, I learnt that our fantastic school director suddenly resigned due to a serious family situation and had to move back to her home country over the summer. The school had to replace her. We are getting a new director. I read the bio of the new boss and googled her and was shocked to discover it is Sylvia. We have not been in touch and do not have any mutual friends anymore. I am not a big fan of social media and had no idea what she had been up to since the unpleasant situation a long time ago.

I have no idea what to do and how to deal with this mess. It is clear this will be not only embarassing but I will also be reporting to my ex. I am not in a position to find another job at present. There are no other international schools so finding another job in this country is not an option. Even finding a job elsewhere is not possible on such a short notice. These jobs usually open for school terms so I have to stay put for few months. But more importantly, I am happy and settled here so do not want to move. To make the situation worse, the expat community here is very small and tightly knit so teachers also socialize a lot.

Do you have any suggestions for me how to handle it and what should I do? I understand that this would not have happened if I did not ghost her back then, but I cannot do anything about it now. I gathered from the comments that readers usually have a go on people like me for “bad behavior” but I am really looking for constructive comments how to deal with the situation.

Ooof. I wrote back and asked, “How long were you in the relationship with her?”

We were together for three years and lived together for two of those years. I know that ghosting is not a way to end the relationship but I cannot do much about it now. I appreciate the trouble you are taking with getting back to me.

Double oof.

That would absolutely have been my first question too.
  • edited August 2017
    Damn. Ghosting after that long and serious of a relationship?! LW is an ass. 

That being said, maybe Sylvia has moved on and realized her response to his douchiness was over the top. I think LW should act professionally, assume Sylvia will do the same. If the past relationship comes up apologize for the ghosting, hopefully she'll apologize for the overreacting, and you can act like adult professionals moving forward. 

Also, get over reporting to your ex or find a new job. 
  • My ex-fiance and I had been together for 3 years when he moved out of the home we shared while I was home visiting my family.  I found out when I got home and his stuff was gone.  It was one of the worst things I have ever experienced and I do think that Sylvia overreacted.  I called him and made him deal with canceling all of the venues and notifying everyone.  I deleted his family's phone numbers and ceased all communication with anyone I met through him.  I cried.  A lot.  I never tracked my ex down or caused a scene when I saw him in public (which I have, a few times).  

Now, years later, if I had to work with him, it wouldn't be unbearable (especially if I was the boss in the situation). 

• Seriously, how fucking hard would even a short conversation have been. "It seems like we want different things from this relationship - I'm not ready to settle down. I applied for a job elsewhere and I think I'm going to take it, so I'll be moving out."

You constructive comment for dealing with the situation as is is this, LW: Attempt to be professional, but if that does not work, it is a whole lot your fault and you need to recognize that. Go find another job if that's not going to work for you.
  • Ro041 said:
    My ex-fiance and I had been together for 3 years when he moved out of the home we shared while I was home visiting my family.  I found out when I got home and his stuff was gone.  It was one of the worst things I have ever experienced and I do think that Sylvia overreacted.  I called him and made him deal with canceling all of the venues and notifying everyone.  I deleted his family's phone numbers and ceased all communication with anyone I met through him.  I cried.  A lot.  I never tracked my ex down or caused a scene when I saw him in public (which I have, a few times).  

Now, years later, if I had to work with him, it wouldn't be unbearable (especially if I was the boss in the situation). 
    Difference: he answered the phone.  This guy ghosted her.  While someone's stuff being gone would be odd, I'd probably assume foul play for awhile until I could actually get in touch with someone who had laid eyes/hands on my partner.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Ro041 said:
    My ex-fiance and I had been together for 3 years when he moved out of the home we shared while I was home visiting my family.  I found out when I got home and his stuff was gone.  It was one of the worst things I have ever experienced and I do think that Sylvia overreacted.  I called him and made him deal with canceling all of the venues and notifying everyone.  I deleted his family's phone numbers and ceased all communication with anyone I met through him.  I cried.  A lot.  I never tracked my ex down or caused a scene when I saw him in public (which I have, a few times).  

Difference: he answered the phone.  This guy ghosted her.  While someone's stuff being gone would be odd, I'd probably assume foul play for awhile until I could actually get in touch with someone who had laid eyes/hands on my partner.
    You would consider foul play if someone's side of their closet was cleaned out, their side of the bathroom was clear, their stuff that was stored in the basement was cleared out but every thing you own remained in tact?  That's kind of odd.  

I didn't say my experience exactly mirrored what happened in the letter - just that someone moving out when a person is on vacation (and ghosting) doesn't give the victim carte blanche to cause various scenes in public with family and friends.  And in that sense, the girlfriend overreacted.  

• Ro041 said:
    VarunaTT said:
    Ro041 said:

You would consider foul play if someone's side of their closet was cleaned out, their side of the bathroom was clear, their stuff that was stored in the basement was cleared out but every thing you own remained in tact?  That's kind of odd.  

I didn't say my experience exactly mirrored what happened in the letter - just that someone moving out when a person is on vacation (and ghosting) doesn't give the victim carte blanche to cause various scenes in public with family and friends.  And in that sense, the girlfriend overreacted.  
    I think LW might be overblowing the behavior when he says "scenes" - I imagine he was avoiding a "scene" in their apartment by ghosting her - but we don't have enough details to know. It could be overboard, but it could be totally reasonable as described by Climbing.
  • Ro041 said:
    VarunaTT said:
    Ro041 said:

SITB ...

This happened on an episode of Buffy, when she was in college and a nest of vampires was killing college freshmen, then going to their dorms and only clearing out their stuff and leaving a note.  So part of me, having watched that episode, would think back to that and, probably reeling from the fact that a serious relationship ended so suddenly, you'd bet my mind would immediately go to foul play.  The alternative might be just as painful to think about - at least with foul play, it's not a criticism on your relationship (as in what could I have done to deserve a man just leaving me without an explanation).  

Also, it sucks that this actually happened to you.  Break ups are awful regardless, but doing it that way just seems unnecessarily cold.

• kerbohl said:
    Ro041 said:
    VarunaTT said:
    Ro041 said:

SITB ...

This happened on an episode of Buffy, when she was in college and a nest of vampires was killing college freshmen, then going to their dorms and only clearing out their stuff and leaving a note.  So part of me, having watched that episode, would think back to that and, probably reeling from the fact that a serious relationship ended so suddenly, you'd bet my mind would immediately go to foul play.  The alternative might be just as painful to think about - at least with foul play, it's not a criticism on your relationship (as in what could I have done to deserve a man just leaving me without an explanation).  

Also, it sucks that this actually happened to you.  Break ups are awful regardless, but doing it that way just seems unnecessarily cold.
    I remember that episode of Buffy, LOL. 
  • LW, you're a cruel and utterly awful person with no moral compass.  I hope Sylvia proves herself to be a far better person than you and treat you with nothing but the utmost professionalism at work...

while also socially poisoning and alienating you from every, single ex-pat friend you have in your current country.

It's nice to see your bad karma coming back to haunt you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • apparently this LW promised to update.
    I am waiting with baited breath
  • GBCK said:
    apparently this LW promised to update.
    Personally, I want to read "Sylvia's" side.
  • GBCK said:
    apparently this LW promised to update.
    Personally, I want to read "Sylvia's" side.

I suspect Sylvia's side, even with just basic details and no emotion, will be enough to send any other woman...and just people, in general...in the ex-pat community RUNNING from this guy.

Heck, we heard the story from his side and know he is a slimeball.

Wedding Countdown Ticker