Wedding Woes
Options

Time to distance yourself from Brunhilda.

Dear Prudence,
Over the past year I became friends with a colleague, “Brunhilda.” We occasionally go for drinks after work and more recently have begun doing things on weekends. She seemed fun, if a bit self-absorbed, and I sometimes found it frustrating that a one-hour project took two because she had to interject lots of discussion about her personal life while we worked. It annoyed me that she never respected my schedule (even when I was very clear about other commitments), but I mostly enjoyed her company and the work got done eventually. I took a week off this August, and when I found out Brunhilda was taking a road trip near my beach house that same week, I invited her to stay for a night. Somewhat unexpectedly, my boyfriend and I decided to get engaged the night before she arrived.

My parents live nearby and had invited the three of us over to a summer party the next day. My fiancé and I agreed we would tell them after the party because he had to leave later that evening. We pulled my parents aside in a private part of the house as things were winding down and had a really happy, emotional moment that was quickly interrupted when Brunhilda burst in and announced, verbatim, “I am going to be here now.” It should have been obvious that she was interrupting us, but she just stood staring at us. When I told her we had decided to get married, she just said, “Cool,” and seemed to expect to be included in our family embrace. She has never met my family before. Since we were not interested in group-hugging her, we disbanded and went back to party cleanup. She also stayed more than a day past our agreed upon departure without asking, and I had to force her to leave. I will definitely distance myself from her going forward, but my fiancé, parents, and I are all distressed by her intrusion into a special moment that really cannot be replicated. How can I focus on the happy minute we had together and not feel like the overriding memory we all have is of her boorishness?

—Building Up the Ramparts

Re: Time to distance yourself from Brunhilda.

• Options
    You need to look at the boorishness and laugh at it.    If you look at a happy occasion and can only remember the bad in it, it's going to be a rough way of looking at life.   That's a coping mechanism you need to be able to get through life in general.  

As far as Brunhilda goes, stop being her friend.  
  • Options
    Don't invite someone to a party with you and then retreat to a private location to exclude her. 
    There is that.  While she sounds like a boorish person, it's equally rude to disappear on a guest in that manner. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Don't invite someone to a party with you and then retreat to a private location to exclude her. 
    There is that.  While she sounds like a boorish person, it's equally rude to disappear on a guest in that manner. 

Exactly, I think there was some blame on both sides.  But the LW is really being a drama-llama about it.  I'm sure it was a fun moment to tell the parents, but it is hardly momentous and now ruined.  Ruined! (insert hand wringing).  I don't know why she is even dwelling on this.  I'd think it will be quickly displaced once the wedding planning starts.

I would have loved to have told my mom and sister, in person, when I got engaged.  But I live half the country away from them.  So it had to be by phone.  And life moves on.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Awww, she is so cute, @kerbohl! I wouldn't mind her bursting in on most moments.
  • Options
    kerbohl said:
    Brunnhilde is my dog's name, and she is ALWAYS bursting into moments uninvited.  She gets jealous when DH and I hug because we aren't paying attention to her ... so this whole letter I was thinking about my dog.  
    I vote it was, because your pup is adorable lol