Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Beverage options and quantities

edited September 2017 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
We're having a brunch reception, no alcohol, 3 1/2 hours for 40 guests. (Really 38, counting the officiant, her family, the photographer, and us, but I want some extra just in case someone gets into a new relationship). There will be two 7-year-olds, six teenagers, and the rest are adults. We're also inviting our guests to come to our house after the reception.

Here's what I was thinking:

55 cups coffee 
36 cups hot water for hot tea and hot cocoa
5 gallons plain water
1 or 2 gallons infused water 
2.5 gallons cider (cold, but we might serve it hot instead)
2.5 gallons unsweetened iced tea 
1 24-pack 16-ounce bottles flavored sweetened iced tea
1 24-pack 16-ounce bottles fruit punch 
3 24-packs 11.5-ounce cans sparkling juice
3 12-packs and 3 8-packs 12-ounce cans of flavored sparkling water

Is there something I should cut or skip entirely? Should I add more of anything?

Edited because apparently I can't do math.

Edited again because I forgot that one of the teenagers has a girlfriend.

Re: Beverage options and quantities

• That's a lot of variety! I think a lot depends on what you and your guests prefer. I would imagine since it's a relatively small headcount you might have an idea already what they prefer. I personally would probably have more water, but my family members are really big water drinkers. It might make life easier for you if you condense a little bit. For instance you could have more unsweetened iced tea and then just have sugar or honey and lemon wedges nearby to have guests be able to flavor it as they prefer. Similarly the sparkling fruit juice might be a little overkill if you have fruit punch and sparkling water. But again, that depends on your personal preferences.
  • edited September 2017
    That's a lot of variety! I think a lot depends on what you and your guests prefer. I would imagine since it's a relatively small headcount you might have an idea already what they prefer. I personally would probably have more water, but my family members are really big water drinkers. It might make life easier for you if you condense a little bit. For instance you could have more unsweetened iced tea and then just have sugar or honey and lemon wedges nearby to have guests be able to flavor it as they prefer. Similarly the sparkling fruit juice might be a little overkill if you have fruit punch and sparkling water. But again, that depends on your personal preferences.
    I was thinking about possibly skipping the fruit punch and getting more sparkling juice. We would definitely provide sweeteners and lemon for tea and dairy and non-dairy milks for coffee and tea.

I forgot to ask in my initial post how much ice I should get. We will have access to a refrigerator and freezer.
  • OMG warm cider.  With some cinnamon sticks and cloves? MMmmmm.
  • Honestly I think this is way too much variety for 40 people. 

For a brunch reception, I would have this menu to keep things simple:

- coffee (80-90 servings since it's brunch and people will have it with food and then again with cake)
    - hot water with tea packets, hot chocolate packets, and cider packets
    - 3 gallons infused water (one flavor)
    - 3 gallons orange juice
    - regular water (60 bottles)

This still gives people 7 drink options (versus 11) and limits you to 4 carafes/dispensers on the table.
    *********************************************************************************

• edited September 2017
    Great suggestions, @southernbelle0915. I didn't think of orange juice. I found a recipe for cranberry-orange infused water; I think I'll use that.

ETA: Taking @southernbelle0915's suggestions, here's what I came up with:

90 cups coffee with dairy milk, soy milk, and sweeteners
    55 cups hot water for tea, cocoa, and cider, with lemon and sweeteners for the tea
    2.5 gallons orange juice
    2.5 gallons cranberry-orange infused water
    5 gallons plain water (IMHO, it's easier and less waste to rent a 5-gallon thermos than to buy water bottles)

We're renting 2.5-gallon dispensers, but we also have 1-gallon sun tea jars at home, so we can use those for additional orange juice and infused water if necessary.
  • Are you doing the catering yourself? For 40 people I'd just go to a restaurant and say "I want brunch for 40 people" and let them take care of all these details. 
  • Are you doing the catering yourself? For 40 people I'd just go to a restaurant and say "I want brunch for 40 people" and let them take care of all these details. 
    We were planning to go to a restaurant, but the one we wanted doesn't have enough room for us. They are going to cater off-site for us, though. 
  • If it would work for your party and is something you'd want in your home anyway, maybe get a hot water dispenser for your kitchen.  They run around $250-$300 and, if you're handy, you can install it yourself.  My H installed ours.  They're awesome.  I love mine.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think your final counts look good. Enough variety without being too much. (And yes, good call on no water bottles!)
  • IMO - the logistics of the water - just get bottled water!  You're going to have waste with cups unless you're using washable and it's your wedding, for <$15 you don't want to be spending your time refilling the water jug.  People are picky about their water!  
  • MesmrEwe said:
    IMO - the logistics of the water - just get bottled water!  You're going to have waste with cups unless you're using washable and it's your wedding, for <$15 you don't want to be spending your time refilling the water jug.  People are picky about their water!  
    We're using biodegradable, compostable paper cups for both hot and cold beverages. 
  • I'm still not sure how much ice to buy. Would a 22-pound bag be enough?
  • ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2017
    Apparently 10 kilos of ice makes approximately 100 drinks (according to our executive bar manager) so that's 2.5 iced drinks for each of your guests.  I would get 2 bags if you want to be safe and also have left over ice for chilling bottles and to allow for wastage.  Hope this helps x
  • That helps a lot, @ScottishSarah! Thanks!

P.S. Great to see you!
  • You too!!!

I actually just read an article that said 1 pound per guest, so looks about right to get 2 bags.  Hope your plans are going well!