Attire & Accessories Forum

Trying to justify the cost of a headpiece I really want

I can't get over how beautiful Maria Elena headpieces are. The practical side of me is saying, "don't spend that kind of money on something you'll only wear once." The other side of me is saying, "if you keep being drawn to it, just get it"

Anyone else have these kinds of thoughts and what you ended up doing?

Re: Trying to justify the cost of a headpiece I really want

• I think everyone is faced with budget dilemmas like this all the time - for purses, and shoes, and choosing a restaurant for date night..... The way I usually think about it is "if I DON'T buy/do this thing, what else could I buy/do in its place?" 

There are a million headpieces on Etsy (and elsewhere) for hundreds (if not a thousand+) dollars cheaper. If you can afford the Maria Elena headpiece and want to spend your money that way, go for it. If you are on the fence and can think of other things you'd spend that money on (AND get a beautiful headpiece from other seller), then do that. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I would start by looking for something similar and then seeing how you feel about it. If you are really unhappy and have the funds , buy the more expensive one but if you feel okay, I doubt this will end up being something you wish you had.

I had a vision that included a rhinestone headband. I looked for a long time at one that came from a Swarovski collection. Way over my personal budget that I decided on. I found one from an Etsy seller that was close to the look but only $20.00. I bought the cheaper one and when I look back at my pictures I do not think "oh man, I should have gone with the other". I do however like that I put that portion of my budget savings into my RRSP.

• I agree with you that the Maria Elena headpieces are gorgeous, but yes, they are very expensive. There are some bridal headpieces on Etsy that are also gorgeous and could help you achieve a similar look for a lot less money. 

The first question you have to ask yourself is whether it's in your budget. If the answer is no, stop looking at the Maria Elena stuff once and for all and look for a headpiece you can afford. If the answer is yes, then the second question is whether you feel comfortable spending the money on something like this. If the answer is yes, go for it. If not, then look for something similar for less money.

Whatever the price tag is on what you ultimately pick, I'm sure you'll find something you love that makes you feel beautiful.
  • Do some research for what is available for headpieces that are very similar in style out on the market, there are TONS!   Check Ebay!, Amazon, JJ's House..  Obviously, if you've got the money and you're going to regret NOT having that particular one from that designer on your wedding day, or if it's something you'd have the opportunity to wear again (oddly enough, yes, I've attended events where tiaras are optional), then that's to be factored in.  IMO, not worth breaking the bank over (this from someone who owns multiple headpieces/tiaras)