Wedding Woes

Naming Kids After Dead People?

I mean maybe if it was like a grandparent or something?  I can't believe there were 2 of these in one day:

Re: Naming Kids After Dead People?

• I've got a cousin who was named after his deceased sister and uncle. It always baffled me. 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2017
    When I clicked, I was thinking, "No problem,"
    but I guess I never imagined someone would ask these questions! I was thinking an ancestor or something. These cases both seem a bit odd. 
  • In Jewish families, babies are always named after honored deceased relatives.  It is bad luck to name a child after someone who is living, so no "Juniors" in Jewish families.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • When I clicked, I was thinking, "No problem,"
    but I guess I never imagined someone would ask these questions! I was thinking an ancestor or something. These cases both seem a bit odd. 
    I was wondering where this was going. My son has my deceased father's name as his middle name. The two examples above though are a hard no for me. 
  • Definitely a case-by-case decision.  The two scenarios shared would be a big "no" from me.
  • CMGragain said:
    In Jewish families, babies are always named after honored deceased relatives.  It is bad luck to name a child after someone who is living, so no "Juniors" in Jewish families.
    That's interesting!  My son is named after both of his (living) grandfathers, but we definitely don't call him "Junior" or anything like that. My daughters middle name is my ex-husbands grandmothers first name, but she was also alive when we picked it. 

Truly I think it's great to honour deceased loved ones by naming children after them. It just weirded me right out when posters posed the questions I shared above.  Neither of those would be remotely acceptable to me!
  • I'm torn.

I'm not against naming someone after a person you were close to who died - I'm unintentionally named after 2 people - and we plan on naming our future child after someone in the family.
    I think it depends on the situation. A friend of mine passed away 7yrs ago, and another friend would like to name her future child with the first or middle name.
    An ex? Hmmm .... again, it depends. My ex passed away but I have no plans to name my child after him not for any particular reason.
  • Ro041 said:
    CMGragain said:
    In Jewish families, babies are always named after honored deceased relatives.  It is bad luck to name a child after someone who is living, so no "Juniors" in Jewish families.
    That's interesting!  My son is named after both of his (living) grandfathers, but we definitely don't call him "Junior" or anything like that. My daughters middle name is my ex-husbands grandmothers first name, but she was also alive when we picked it. 

Truly I think it's great to honour deceased loved ones by naming children after them. It just weirded me right out when posters posed the questions I shared above.  Neither of those would be remotely acceptable to me!
    Your son wouldn't be a Junior if he was named after his grandfathers.  That designation is for sons named after their fathers (first and middle name must be the same for the child to be Junior).  
    Oh that makes sense. I'm really not familiar with how that works since it doesn't seem to be something people do around here (I've never met a "Jr." as it were)
  • Grandparents, even a parent who passed away, or a dear friend...sure. That's sweet. My mental names for future imaginary children include nods to my grandparents. 

But a stillborn child or FORMER LOVER? The first is heartbreaking, the second is just....really awkward and creepy. 
  • Grandparents, even a parent who passed away, or a dear friend...sure. That's sweet. My mental names for future imaginary children include nods to my grandparents. 

But a stillborn child or FORMER LOVER? The first is heartbreaking, the second is just....really awkward and creepy. 
    I was unintentionally named after my dad's oldest sister who passed at 3 days. My nana opted to not tell my mum the name until after I was born, knowing that she wanted to name me after her grandmother.

I was unintentionally named after my dad's oldest sister who passed at 3 days. My nana opted to not tell my mum the name until after I was born, knowing that she wanted to name me after her grandmother.
    Unintentional is a whole different situation! But gosh what a coincidence, and probably a good thing your nana didn't say anything right away to your mom.

Unintentional is a whole different situation! But gosh what a coincidence, and probably a good thing your nana didn't say anything right away to your mom.
    My entire name is unintentionally almost the same lmao

My mum's grandmother - Catherine. Everyone called her Kate/Katie
    My name: Katie Lynn
    My dad's oldest sister that passed away {my nana had toxemia and it was in late 1950s} - Kathy Linda

Side note: if M and I have a girl, we've talked about Harper Jaclyn but we'll be speaking to my granny and uncle {mum's side} before doing anything. Harper is her maiden name, but Jaclyn was my uncle's twin who passed not even a day old :( It's different spelling, but we're still talking to them before making it official. {note: if they have ANY issues with it, we are not doing that name}
  • Agree with everyone!

But I don't understand the wishy-washiness of the people with these questions.  It is MY child also.  I get full veto power, as does my SO, of ANY name I don't want.  My reasons can be as stupid as I want them to be (though both of these scenarios are outlandish).

Here is how those conversations would go:

"I'm not comfortable naming our child X.  Because of (my reason)."

"BUT, BUT...blah, blah, blah."

"Sorry.  No.  We are not naming our child X."  And that's the end of the discussion. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LD1970 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Not all.  Many, but not all.  Neither my sister nor I are named after dead relatives.  I'm named after a character in a book, actually.
    Shanah Tovah!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • As others have said, I see no problem with naming a child after a grandparent, parent, etc. Naming them after one of the parents' deceased children, however, is incredibly morbid and inappropriate. There are far better ways to remember and and honor a child you've lost. 

As for naming the baby after an ex-lover who died...that's just weird.