Wedding Etiquette Forum

XP: Bachelorette party etiquette and invitation wording

Hey everyone. So, I'm planning the bachelorette party for my friend, who isn't much for the bar scene. We talked about some ideas, and she would like to go to a murder mystery dinner party. We've pretty much nailed down the day and location (it's looking like mid-November, at a restaurant hosting the event). Now she's putting together a guest list for me and I'm thinking about the invitation and logistics.

Basically, I just want to make sure that the way I coordinate this will be acceptable etiquette-wise. My thinking was that I would send an Evite to the guests, and include the website for the company, where everyone can buy their ticket and see information about the event/venue. I am going to call the company and see if there's a way to ensure our group gets to sit together.

My questions:
-What invitation wording would you suggest for this scenario?
-For this kind of event, people do pretty much understand that they'll be paying for their ticket, right? MOH and I should be good splitting the bride's portion, so that's not an issue. But I don't have to host in the sense that I'm basically on the hook for everyone's ticket...right? (LOL, I have read too many threads on TK...)
-Based on the event being the third week in November, when should I send the Evite, and what should I aim for as an RSVP date?

Thanks!

Re: XP: Bachelorette party etiquette and invitation wording

• Agree with everything @LondonLisa said. 
  • This sounds fun; I've always wanted to go to a murder mystery dinner myself. I think these events often attract groups, so I'm sure they will be able to tell you the best way to book one and that you all sitting together won't be an issue.  They probably book up fast, though, so I suggest getting the logistics figured out and the evite to the guests as soon as possible. @LondonLisa's wording is good.

I don't know how well you know the bride's family and friends, but if there is anyone in the group that do you know, it might not hurt to give them a heads up about the plans before sending out the evite, since time is somewhat of the essence here. That way, it's on their radar as early as possible.
  • Ooh that sounds awesome! Ditto everything @LondonLisa said. I would definitely call the venue before you pick a date. If they have a group booking option, they may be able to hold a certain number of tickets for you, just in case some people are slow about buying theirs.

Also FWIW, I don't know where you live, but if you're in the US the third (full) week of November is the week of Thanksgiving (11/23). That might affect who's able to attend. Even if it's not that weekend, some people don't like to/aren't able to travel weekends around holidays. Just something to think about! 
  • @ahoywedding, yeah, the timeframe isn't the greatest. It's a rather short engagement and the bride wasn't totally sure she wanted a party and just got back to me this week about it. The week before Thanksgiving isn't ideal for sure, but I work nights and unfortunately that also made it hard to narrow down dates, with many shows already being sold out. At least with 2ish months to go, hopefully everyone can have plenty of time to make arrangements and RSVP, and the grand majority of b-party guests are local.

Thanks, all! I will go ahead and call the mystery people and see what they can do for us. I'm pretty stoked! (Not about dressing in costume for this, that's not my forte, but I'm due for a good mystery and girls' night!)
  • Agree with everything @LondonLisa said. 
    Cosigned.