Wedding Woes

Monday!!

edited October 2017 in Wedding Woes
Happy Monday all. Just got back from Columbus, which was a fantastic city. The race was great! So fun, so many spectators, and a great course. I'm exhausted so I'm running in to teach a class then home for ice and snuggles with the puppy while I catch up on work and emails. 

How was everyones weekend?

Re: Monday!!

• Not long enough.

We did go see Professor Marston and the Wonder Women.  It's a very good movie; we really enjoyed it.  To my understanding, it did take some liberties with the story.  The acting/writing is very good.
  • I swear I slept majority of the weekend.
    This first trimester is really kicking my ass! Damn ...

Wicked wind storm last night. Took out part of M's parents fence, so I think we may be swinging by there tonight to help.

I'm currently doing work and browsing instagram tags for Hallowe'en makeup ideas ... I have a few but we'll see how it works out. Really need to get my eyebrows waxed.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2017
    @charlotte989875, glad you had fun. I know it's a late, but I was going to recommend the restaurant Claddagh in Columbus.  We go there when the hawks play the blue jackets and now that's a hot spot of us too.
    @VarunaTT, we're movie goers and will probably end up seeing that.  Thanks for the good reviews!

Our weekend was fantastic.  We got to Lemp mansion at 4.  Rested till 6.  Got a drink at the bar with our friends, had dinner there -which as the best dinner i had in YEARS.  Seriously, if you're in St. Louis (which is an awesome city btw) and find yourself in the historical district, you should stop by the Lemp Restaurant.  Highly highly recommended. We did a ghost tour at 9.  And back to the bar at 10. Another drink, socialize with the bartender.  Ummmmm don't tell someone in St. Louis you're a cubs fan. It won't end well..... (just kidding, he must have loved us still because he gave my H a shot after we closed out our tab!) 
    Back to our rooms to investigate from 12-2.  We actually met another couple doing the same thing (looking for ghosts).  they had stories for us, and we ended up walking around the rooms together.  They were fun.  It was fun.  A blast and I'd go again in a heartbeat.  We didn't catch any audio, video or pictures (that we saw anyway). I even slept with my feet hanging out of the bed hoping a ghost would grab my foot. LOL.  Nada.

Then Sunday we left, and on the way home went to a pumpkin patch/orchard.  The corn maze was easy breazy.  There's one on the border of IL and WI that's like SUPER difficult and long and you can spend hours in it.  This one we got out in 10.  Still fun, and we had a groupon for that and some apples so it was practically free.  then we went out for dinner and caught "Clue" on the big screen for their classic cinema running.  Nostalgia! I knew they had 3 different endings but I didn't know that the directors put the three different endings in different theaters so you'd have to buy 3 tickets to see them all!  It wasn't till the vhs came out that it formed a following and you could see all three endings at once.  So what we saw, last night was never in theaters.  We saw the one with all 3 endings.  Cool!

• @charlotte989875 How did you fair in the race? I'm running a half in Maine next spring, as long as my knee/hip injury has healed by December so I can start training.

Weekend was nice with gorgeous weather. H and I got the yard and the patio all cleaned up. My back is still sore from raking up so many walnuts but it was worth it. Most have fallen off the trees at this point so we shouldn't need to do a big clean again before winter. We had an old-school date night Saturday night. Got drinks at our favorite little Italian restaurant, had dinner at this new Thai place that was fantastic, and finished off with a glass of wine at this cool brewery on the lake. 

Sunday was another gorgeous day. We went to an Oktoberfest event at our favorite brewery with the in-laws and then went to another brewery after for a last round and some snacks. When we got home, H and I played in the yard with the dog and enjoyed possibly the last 80 degree day we'll have until next year. All in all, a perfect weekend.
  • Oh, and happy Boss' Day to any boss out there! :)

• Weekend was good.  Saturday I got yoga in and H did all sorts of painting patches that needed to get painted!  He has been doing a great job patching cracks and dog damage, so its making him feel much better to see the spots painted too!  Like the damage was never done!

Afterwards, we went to a food truck festival close by.  It was great!  Fried cheese curds, chocolate covered frozen banana, a pizza kone, mozzarepa with steak and fried plantains!  Super yummy!  Afterwards, we headed over to church.

Sunday was relaxing and sleeping in a bit.  Thanks DD!  We also did a little bit of shopping including getting H some better sneakers and casual slip ons.  His were just worn out!  He lets me buy him more expensive shoes, but he has to literally wear them out before he lets me buy him new pairs.  Before he did all his shoe shopping at Payless, which isn't bad, but there are better choices out there!

Speaking of shoes, if anyone is need, please look at Zappos.  They are paying for all of the funerals for the 58 people killed in Vegas, which is just an amazing thing to do!  They are a Vegas based company, so I will be paying it forward to them very soon!  Hope you can too!

Last work week before vacation!  Woot woot!

• Weekend was good.  Saturday I got yoga in and H did all sorts of painting patches that needed to get painted!  He has been doing a great job patching cracks and dog damage, so its making him feel much better to see the spots painted too!  Like the damage was never done!

Afterwards, we went to a food truck festival close by.  It was great!  Fried cheese curds, chocolate covered frozen banana, a pizza kone, mozzarepa with steak and fried plantains!  Super yummy!  Afterwards, we headed over to church.

Sunday was relaxing and sleeping in a bit.  Thanks DD!  We also did a little bit of shopping including getting H some better sneakers and casual slip ons.  His were just worn out!  He lets me buy him more expensive shoes, but he has to literally wear them out before he lets me buy him new pairs.  Before he did all his shoe shopping at Payless, which isn't bad, but there are better choices out there!

Speaking of shoes, if anyone is need, please look at Zappos.  They are paying for all of the funerals for the 58 people killed in Vegas, which is just an amazing thing to do!  They are a Vegas based company, so I will be paying it forward to them very soon!  Hope you can too!

Last work week before vacation!  Woot woot!

I do need some fall/winter boots.  Heading over there now!  All that food sound wonderful!  yummy!

• Happy Monday.   Although everyday is a day off for me right now.

Weekend was okay.  I had a stomach bug on Friday and took it easy on Saturday and just watched football.   Yesterday I pretty domestic.  Cleaned, made a chicken stew and homemade french bread.   It was so good.  I can't wait to have more today.     Watch more football.

The club is closed today so DH should be home, but for some reason he went into work.  Tonight we are taking the staff bowling.

My mom is having yet another procedure today.   This time they need to drain an infection she has on her spleen.    Poor woman can not catch a break.   Hopefully she will be better by the time we see her early next month.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I have a nasty cold, which keeps getting worse.  
    Saturday was 'boo at the zoo' for the local zoo....but it rained so apparently everyone came to see me @ my work instead, whee!
    So I went from having a cold to 'unable to talk', because I spent the entire day trying to talk over kids.
    And then repeat on Sunday, with more whispering from me.

Today is my day off, so I"m chilling and doing nothing, because, feel like crap still.  
  • This was the shortest long weekend ever. Kids were off school Friday so we left at 8 to go to my parent's fair. Rode rides, ate junk food, watched some horse racing, saw an old friend (who somehow managed to get even more weird). Then we spent the night with them. 

Saturday we we left their house at 845 and spent the next 8 hrs driving around Columbus for soccer.  I met Dh at the first field at 10, took one child to a bday party while he took the other two. We met up again at field 2 then split up so I could take one child to field 3 where Dh met me later. Luckily soccer field 4 was at the same complex so we only had to move chairs. Got home at 5 

Sunday church, soccer tryout 2-3:30 for 1, practice 4-5 for 2, and basketball tryout from 5:30-7 for 1.  

I am wiped out!  One more week of soccer...until February. 
  • We had a great weekend away with family but came home to a leaking roof/ceiling. Long story short it's a good thing we have a queen size sponge in our bedroom otherwise the leaking could have caused far more damage in our condo. So I've filed a homeowners insurance claim for our mattress and bed and hope it works out. 
    We skipped the pumpkin patch too due to the weather but had no idea it was so bad in our city until we got back- the Chicago River actually flooded downtown, pretty nuts. 

• @oliveoilsmom that is such a great thing Zappos is doing. . . . I hadn't read that yet!   That would make me more inclined to make a purchase from them. 

Charity.....we were just talking about it the other night.  The same way I don't like charity favors at weddings, I don't like doing 50/50 raffles at events.  This may be an unpopular opinion, but don't guilt me into giving the money I won back to the charity.  I support a number of charitable organizations but like to do it on my own terms.  I get annoyed when people tell me what and how to donate.

We had a fun weekend, it was nice enough to go on a friend's boat yesterday, which was a good time.  Dinner with friends both nights, so we went to bed early last night, DH and I both needed it!

Today we had a little breakfast at work for Boss's Day.  The 2 most difficult people in the office decided to organize it.  One demanded I pay my $10 contribution after I already gave it to the other woman.  I almost lost it on her. . . . she is just a very difficult personality.  The other sent me a text last night to remind me to bring in the fruit salad I said I would make.  I'm 34, I can take care of myself.  These two women though. . . . for one, everything is a crisis.  Literally everything stresses her out.  Everyone jokes that we need to put Xanax in her coffee.  The other is beyond full of herself and loves to hear herself speak.  She will interrupt a conversation in a heartbeat to talk about herself.  She also uses way to many words, which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.  Example:

where a normal person would maybe say "We had friends over for dinner last night.  Friend brought dessert, a delicious pie" this woman would probably say "so, I had friends over for dinner last night.  I invited 2 friends over.  Last time we had 3 people over.  Friend brought dessert,  I had asked her to bring something.  She offered to bring dessert, so I told her dessert would be ok to bring.  She picked what dessert to bring, because I had told her that dessert would be ok. Then she came for dinner, and she brought the dessert with her, because I had told her to bring something and she chose dessert.  You know, last time we had friends over we had 3 guests, but this time we only had 2 because we only invited 2.  It was a nice dinner anyway, and friend brought pie for dessert because I let her choose what to bring."

It makes me want to shake her so badly.  Why isn't it acceptable to shake coworkers?!

• Back from Charleston last night. Wedding was lots of fun despite the faux pas. Had all my kids together and saw family. Weather was great. I love Charleston. Had some wonderful food. Tonight is my book club so I'm looking forward to lots of laughing, wine and eating (some more).

This coming weekend DS1 is getting married so we are heading out Friday for that.
  • @kaos16 "I don't like doing 50/50 raffles at events.  This may be an unpopular opinion, but don't guilt me into giving the money I won back to the charity."  Wait, that is a thing? I guess I've never won one but I didn't realize part of it was then to donate it back to the charity

@CharmedPam leaving your feet hanging off the bed hoping a ghost grabs them? you're crazy in my eyes LOL 
  • kvruns said:
    @kaos16 "I don't like doing 50/50 raffles at events.  This may be an unpopular opinion, but don't guilt me into giving the money I won back to the charity."  Wait, that is a thing? I guess I've never won one but I didn't realize part of it was then to donate it back to the charity

@CharmedPam leaving your feet hanging off the bed hoping a ghost grabs them? you're crazy in my eyes LOL 
    I think it depends on the charity.  Charitable events is the "unwritten" rule to give back your half even though the other half goes towards it anyway.  But, like, say you win at a sporting event 50/50 raffle - you should keep it?  But I get it, I'd want to keep it too.  I NEVER win at anything!

@kvruns, yeah I know.  Maybe I do it because I know nothing will happen. I'm unlucky (lucky?) in that nothing major even happens to me when I do these things. I have a friend meeting me in Savannah and she's like "Im going to be SO scared".  I told her, nah, she'll be fine. I"m an unmagnet!

@Ilovebeachmusic, glad it was a good time.  I've never been there.  What were the faux pas?

@thisismynickname2, yeah we got HIT hard this weekend. I had about 20 minutes of monsoon rain to drive through Saturday morning, but clear skies the more south I drove.  CRAZY!

• @kvruns, around here you're always "encouraged" to give it back.  I don't know if that is the norm everywhere.
  • kaos16 said:
    @kvruns, around here you're always "encouraged" to give it back.  I don't know if that is the norm everywhere.
    So there are places where you're encouraged to spend money to win a prize and your reward for winning the prize is losing the prize? 

• I've only ever encountered 50/50 drawings at sporting events - like kids' little league or a HS game or something
  • edited October 2017
    @CharmedPam They didn't have enough seating and no seating chart. Their cocktail food was one dip and some chips - they did have a full open bar though. The venue was two leveled which made it extremely difficult for the handicapped guests (there were a couple). Pre-wedding they had registry info on their invitations. It was fun though.

Charleston is a great food city! If you ever go there I can give you some recommendations. Lots of history there and they have a ghost walk.

ETA more info
  • @CharmedPam- I loved Claddagh!  In fact that's were we went the night before Max was born.  The one by us closed so we haven't been to another in darn near 5 years.  Oops
  • There was a show once where someone won a 50/50 type prize and the charity was trying to collect the prize back (as was the custom for that fundraiser), but the winner wanted to keep it for themselves!  I am drawing a blank on what show it was - but I'm pretty sure it was a comedy.

Its not a thing around here to give your half of the 50/50 prize back.  I wouldn't enter if that was a thing!  My church has a similar premise, but the 50% of winnings is divided into 6 different winners. As far as I've known, no winner has ever donated their portion back to the church.

@ILoveBeachMusic - Has there been an update on the plans for the RD?  Were you able to get DD to attend the dinner as well or is it still just parents and the B&G?

• @OliveOilsMom they changed their minds and siblings (plus SOs) are invited to the dinner the evening before. It isn't a rehearsal dinner because no rehearsal. To say I am happy about this change of events is an understatement.
  • @ilovebeachmusic, glad they changed their plans to accommodate everyone! oh, I was in a wedding in May and they had like 1/3 of the chairs out that they should have had. It confused a lot of the guests...people didn't feel like sitting down out of guilt!  Like why should I be so special to sit and not you kinda thing? 

@6fsn, I'm glad it was brought up because I just emailed my friend and was like "are we doing the bluejackets/hawk game this year.  also out pit stop to Claddagh after...?"  We found it by accident. It's in the financial district (right?) and a lot of places were closed on Sunday because it was so business traffic heavy.  But low and behold this place was open, so we gave it a whirl. 

• @CharmedPam they call it the arena district. I oh so rarely go down there. The one in my burb closed.