Wedding Woes

If you keep it, you're asking for bad juju

Dear Prudence,

I just got out of a financial and romantic wreck. My boyfriend moved his mistress into my guest bedroom, telling me she was a co-worker who “needed a place to stay.” During this time, he sideswiped a fence while driving my car (his had stopped running), causing $2,000 in damage. When I found out the truth, I kicked them both out; she stole some clothing and electronics from me before leaving town. My ex refused to pay for the damage to my car and called me last week, accusing me of taking more than $10,000 in cash that his parents had given him to buy a new car. I told him he was out of his mind and hung up.

He also left a lousy old couch at my place and refused to come pick it up. I asked him if he was ever going to haul it away, and he told me to throw it out. While I was pushing it out to the curb, I found an envelope full of cash under one of the cushions. I haven’t told anyone what I found. I heard from mutual friends that my ex now thinks his other girlfriend stole the money. Part of me wants to wait a few months, then use the cash to fix my car and celebrate. I think that would be fair, given the pain and suffering they put me through—and they actually owe me more than that for the food and shelter I was conned into giving them. I really don’t want to have any further contact with him. The only thing giving me pause is that it is technically his parents’ money and they were always kind to me. I used to consider myself a kind and generous person, but all of this has made me very cynical. I can’t tell anyone I know about the money, so I am asking you.

—Payback

Re: If you keep it, you're asking for bad juju

• I'd be torn honestly. Keep it, bad juju. Give it back, ex could easily say LW took it.

There really is no winning.
  • Can she give them back $8,000? She shouldn't have to pay for the damn car! (hosting them was something she agreed to)

• I feel like she should keep 2k and give the rest back to Ex's parents with the invoice for the car repairs.  If she has an attorney who is a friend, I would ask them to make sure it won't come back to haunt her.  I would not consider keeping the remaining funds even if Ex thinks its a lost cause.  She should make herself whole and that is it.
  • I'd tell him that I found some money in a couch.   If he plans to want any of it back then he can also expect a civil lawsuit looking for payment to replace the shit he broke.  The out of pocket expenses will be deducted and he can expect the balance.

If he doesn't like the terms of that then fuck off. 
  • I'm not going to argue that it is the moral thing to do, but I would keep every last cent of that money and not have even a miniscule moment of guilt.  I'm pretty sure it is legally hers anyway.  Because he abandoned that piece of property.  It doesn't matter that he is a dumbs**t, who apparently can't even remember where he put $10K cash.  That cash was in the abandoned property, hence it was abandoned, as well.

I get her angle on the parents, who we will assume are innocents in this.  Though maybe they aren't.  Maybe they knew all along what was going on.

But, either way, it wouldn't matter from my angle.  His parents gave him that money.  It was a gift.  As a gift, it became his property.  So now it's my property, because he abandoned the couch.  Serves him right for what a ruthless POS he is, that he couldn't even be bothered to get his ratty couch out of my house.  On TOP of everything else he did.

Quite frankly, he'd be lucky if I didn't ALSO sue him for the $2K in car repairs.  Because I'm legally entitled to that also.

---------------------------------------------------------

This one made me start thinking a bit outside the box.  And the kinds of situations where it can actually pay to just be a decent person, instead of scumbag.

As a landlady, once my tenants leave one of my units or is evicted, they're out.  Anything left in the unit is legally mine.  If a tenant I evicted or did something else despicable, left a couch in the unit with $10K behind one of the cushions.  No way would I give that back.  Because they were sh***y and unfair to me, so Karma is a bitch.

However, if I had tenants who'd been great or even just decent, and left a couch in the unit with $10K in it.  That money would still legally be mine, but I'd return it to them.  Because they were good people, which makes it the moral thing to do, in my eyes.  Minus whatever my cost was to move out and haul their couch out to a landfill ;).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not going to argue that it is the moral thing to do, but I would keep every last cent of that money and not have even a miniscule moment of guilt.  I'm pretty sure it is legally hers anyway.  Because he abandoned that piece of property.  It doesn't matter that he is a dumbs**t, who apparently can't even remember where he put $10K cash.  That cash was in the abandoned property, hence it was abandoned, as well.

I get her angle on the parents, who we will assume are innocents in this.  Though maybe they aren't.  Maybe they knew all along what was going on.

But, either way, it wouldn't matter from my angle.  His parents gave him that money.  It was a gift.  As a gift, it became his property.  So now it's my property, because he abandoned the couch.  Serves him right for what a ruthless POS he is, that he couldn't even be bothered to get his ratty couch out of my house.  On TOP of everything else he did.

Quite frankly, he'd be lucky if I didn't ALSO sue him for the $2K in car repairs.  Because I'm legally entitled to that also.

---------------------------------------------------------

This one made me start thinking a bit outside the box.  And the kinds of situations where it can actually pay to just be a decent person, instead of scumbag.

As a landlady, once my tenants leave one of my units or is evicted, they're out.  Anything left in the unit is legally mine.  If a tenant I evicted or did something else despicable, left a couch in the unit with $10K behind one of the cushions.  No way would I give that back.  Because they were sh***y and unfair to me, so Karma is a bitch.

However, if I had tenants who'd been great or even just decent, and left a couch in the unit with $10K in it.  That money would still legally be mine, but I'd return it to them.  Because they were good people, which makes it the moral thing to do, in my eyes.  Minus whatever my cost was to move out and haul their couch out to a landfill ;).

My aunt just dealt with this with her condo unit.   The tenants were evicted.   Terms were that their stuff had to be out by a certain date.   They left a treadmill and TRIED TO BREAK IN WHILE MY AUNT WAS THERE to get it back.

Needless to say, those tenants needed to buy a new treadmill.
  • I vote to keep the money. He abandoned the couch, and was given ample opportunity to get it or search it. If he hadn't behaved like a raging asshole, i could see offering it back to him (minus the car expenses) but at this point, OP can chalk it up to repayment for her car damage, and as BS penalty for him. 
  • I’d keep the money.  The ex sounds like an idiot.  How can you not keep track of that much money?? I’d fix my car, replace my electronics and donate the rest.
  • edited November 2017
    Honestly, I would keep it too. 

ETA: and donate some to a local women's shelter. 
  • banana468 said:
    My aunt just dealt with this with her condo unit.   The tenants were evicted.   Terms were that their stuff had to be out by a certain date.   They left a treadmill and TRIED TO BREAK IN WHILE MY AUNT WAS THERE to get it back.

Needless to say, those tenants needed to buy a new treadmill.

Good for her!  I like owning rental property, but one of the negatives is you sometimes get a hard look at just how low-down members of our society can be.

It's the same thing with buying a house.  Anything left in the house after closing is mine.  I bought a duplex that had been inherited by four adult children.  It was in bad shape and no one had lived in one of the units for 10+ years.  It was apparently being used a big, ole' family storage unit.  One sister had everyone sign over their share to her and she was letting a brother live in the other unit, for free. 

Certainly no secret the house was being sold.  No one came for the property or mentioned it.  But once we closed and there was activity at the house as we starting fixing it up, Oh!  EVERYONE was coming out of the woodwork wanting their things!  Including the brother who could have easily moved his stuff at ANY time in the 5-6 weeks it took to close.  Whatever.

One room was primarily storage for construction stuff.  I was keeping all of that.  But, overall...under our supervision...we'd give people a timeframe when we would be there to take what they wanted.  It was also a short window of time, date-wise, because one of the first orders of business was clearing that house out.

My all-time favorite item...just for its sheer ridiculousness...was an arcade style Pac-Man game.  In the kitchen.  The kitchen! lmao.  But Miss Other Sister...who had moved to TX years ago...was very hot and bothered to get her arcade game back.  That her cousin was going to pick up for her.  And store at his house.  Just until she was back visiting NOLA...with a vehicle she could take it back with. 

LMAO, further.  You just keep telling yourself that lady.  I'm sure you'll pick it up "someday"//sarcasm.  Just like it has already sat here for the better part of a decade.  But that was her cousin's problem.  I was just glad he took that giant thing and we didn't have to deal with it.  I doubt it even worked, smh!  The unit it was sitting in had not had electricity in years.  People can be so bizarre.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ya'll raise a good point.  How the fuck do you just lose 10K in an envelope in the couch? Did it fall out of your pocket while you were playing video games?

• ya'll raise a good point.  How the fuck do you just lose 10K in an envelope in the couch? Did it fall out of your pocket while you were playing video games?
    Or making out with his mistress when LW was out of the house!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Or making out with his mistress when LW was out of the house!
    right?  Either way, you didn't feel the wad of money escape your pocket? No! You hid it in there.  You must have. That's on you now.