Massachusetts-Boston

Nondenominational church?

Hi all, I always pictured getting married in a cathedral but my fiance is not Catholic. Anyone know a classic looking nondenominational church in the Boston-Newton area? Thanks!

Re: Nondenominational church?

• flantasticflantastic The Midwest member
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Hi all, I always pictured getting married in a cathedral but my fiance is not Catholic. Anyone know a classic looking nondenominational church in the Boston-Newton area? Thanks!
    I can't help you with this specific question - nor can most people, this is an international board - but if you yourself are Catholic, you can still get married in the Catholic Church (and in a Catholic church or cathedral). There's nothing stopping you. Talk to your priest.
    STARMOON44CMGragain
  • You shouldn’t choose a church for its looks. 
    CMGragain
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 25 Answers
    edited November 2017
    Are you planning on continuing to practice your Catholic faith?  If so, you need to be married in a Catholic church.  Talk to your priest!

I am curious.  Why a cathedral?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • MobKazMobKaz Chicago suburbs member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    CMGragain said:
    Are you planning on continuing to practice your Catholic faith?  If so, you need to be married in a Catholic church.  Talk to your priest!

I am curious.  Why a cathedral?
    I could be 100% wrong, but it sounds like a church is being treated more as a pretty venue rather than a house of worship.

OP, you can marry in a cathedral, but if it is not your home parish, be prepared for the potential to shell out some big bucks. 
  • I moved this to the Boston board to hopefully get you some local feedback.

You can still get married in a Catholic church if your FI is not Catholic. Just meet with the church and get more info. My H is Catholic and I am not. We looked into it and it was a lot of hoops to jump through, but if he cared about continuing to practice the Catholic faith and partake in sacraments going forward, this is a must.
    *********************************************************************************

• Honestly, I'd be surprised if you could find a non-denominational cathedral or something similar to a cathedral. There are plenty of nondenom churches out there, but I've never heard of any in big fancy buildings like that. 

• A cathedral is the seat of the Bishop.  Episcopalians have them, too, but won't look favorably on someone who just wants to use their building as a pretty venue.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • MobKazMobKaz Chicago suburbs member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    edited November 2017
    I moved this to the Boston board to hopefully get you some local feedback.

You can still get married in a Catholic church if your FI is not Catholic. Just meet with the church and get more info. My H is Catholic and I am not. We looked into it and it was a lot of hoops to jump through, but if he cared about continuing to practice the Catholic faith and partake in sacraments going forward, this is a must.
    I'm curious to know to what "hoops" you are referring. 

My DD and her non-Catholic husband married in a full nuptial mass.  Other than fulfill the customary and typical requirements, there was nothing else additional/unusual required. 

If what you mean is that you are a non baptized person versus non Catholic, than yes, there would be additional issues/hurdles you would face.