Wedding Woes
Options

He's tired of your questions and cut you off.

Dear Prudence,
About three years ago I became friends with a guy in my grad program. (I’m a woman, and we’re both in our late 30s.) We’ve become close, and we talk about every aspect of our lives, including my dating life, but never his. In fact, he’s never mentioned any romantic prospects. I’ve long thought he might be gay, especially after I saw a couple of notifications pop up on his phone when he left it lying around that suggested he was interested in men. I know he goes to gay bars because he “likes the music.” We’ve even gone to some together, and he seems to know a lot of people there, although I’ve never seen him flirt or pick anyone up. I’ve brought up the topic in a general way, usually after we’ve had a few drinks, and he always laughs, deflects, and says he just “likes all people.”

We both come from somewhat conservative parts of the world, and I understand that this may be an issue with his parents, but we live in a big city and he’s an adult. In the last few months he’s become more moody, avoids me and other friends, and seems unhappy. He’s implied to one of his relatives that we had a romantic relationship in the past, which is not true. I want to help him, but I’m not sure how! Is there anything I can do or say?
—In the Closet

Re: He's tired of your questions and cut you off.

• Options
    Maybe he doesn't want to define his sexuality to you or anyone?

Also, if I knew someone was hinting I was romantically linked to them and wasn't, I WOULD SAY SOMETHING!
    Even the "hey I know you've mentioned to family about us together, but I don't feel comfortable with it"
  • Options

Maybe he's gay.  Maybe he's bi.  Maybe he's asexual.  Maybe he's (insert sexuality).

Does any of it even matter?!?!  Especially considering the circumstances.  And another "who cares" if he supposedly said something to a relative about the two of you.  Maybe it's just a rumor.  Maybe the relative misunderstood.

LW, your good friend appears to be going through a bad time in his life.  Focus on that.  If you haven't already, express your concern.  Ask him what's wrong.  If he deflects, let him know you're there for him if he ever needs to talk.  Stay in touch with a friendly text/e-mail sometimes, even if he doesn't respond back.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Who cares about his preferences? It seems odd that she's so fixated on it, she'd literally write a letter to Prudie. Back up, girlfriend.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Chill the eff out. Stop pestering him about something he has made clear he doesn't want to discuss.