Wedding Etiquette Forum

Proper wording for newspaper engagement announcement

Hi everyone,
I understand that it isn't necessary for most people to put an engagement announcement in the newspapers; however, it's fairly common practice in my local paper and will be useful practically for us to have later. My family have offered to place an announcement, but wanted me to figure out what it should say.

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to help with the wording? Most of the ones I've seen have the two sets of parents  announcing and then a vague reference to the upcoming date. ("Jane and John of Town A are delighted to announce the engagement of their daughter, June, to Jim, son of Jill and Jack of Town B. The wedding will be in October 2018")
Both my parents and her parents are divorced and three of the four are re-partnered. Both of my parents live in the town where the paper will run, but her parents live in two different states.

Does anyone have any suggestions for phrasing? It would be much appreciated!

Re: Proper wording for newspaper engagement announcement

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    Hi everyone,
    I understand that it isn't necessary for most people to put an engagement announcement in the newspapers; however, it's fairly common practice in my local paper and will be useful practically for us to have later. My family have offered to place an announcement, but wanted me to figure out what it should say.

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to help with the wording? Most of the ones I've seen have the two sets of parents  announcing and then a vague reference to the upcoming date. ("Jane and John of Town A are delighted to announce the engagement of their daughter, June, to Jim, son of Jill and Jack of Town B. The wedding will be in October 2018")
    Both my parents and her parents are divorced and three of the four are re-partnered. Both of my parents live in the town where the paper will run, but her parents live in two different states.

Does anyone have any suggestions for phrasing? It would be much appreciated!
      Is this a same sex marriage?  OK, new wording needed.

Ms. Jane Yourmother and Mr. John Yourfather of town, state, announce the engagement of their daughter, You, to Ms. Partner's Name, daughter of Ms. Susan Hermother of town, state, and Mr. James Herfather of town, state.  A June wedding is planned.

Is this what you had in mind?  The parents who pay for the announcement are the ones who are listed first, since they are making the announcement.  New parent spouses do not need to be included in he announcement.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you so much for your kind help! That's exactly what I needed.
  • Why not register here with a more recognizable name?  Stick around.  We will be happy to help you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'm sure this varies by newspaper, but I know my hometown one will only do an engagement announcement or a marriage announcement.  Not both.

If an engagement announcement is more important to the two of you, then great.  But if you all want both, check the newspaper's policy on that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm sure this varies by newspaper, but I know my hometown one will only do an engagement announcement or a marriage announcement.  Not both.

If an engagement announcement is more important to the two of you, then great.  But if you all want both, check the newspaper's policy on that.

That’s so weird. 

That’s so weird. 

It's not something I've thought much about or looked into.  I didn't know it was weird/unusual, lol.  It's info from my mom, so it's possible she's wrong or that policy is outdated.  But she did ask when I got married 4 years ago if I wanted an announcement and reminded me the paper would allow an engagement or a wedding, but not both.  I didn't want an announcement anyway, so it was a moot point.

It's a cute little newspaper for the sleepy beach town I grew up in.  Maybe it's easier for larger papers to do both?  Not sure the reasoning.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Oh, thank you! I didn't think of that at all. Having the engagement announcement is more important to me personally because the wedding will be better documented, but I can definitely see that being an issue for some people!