Wedding Woes
Options

You've never discussed it or sought therapy, but he's magically 'changed'?

Q. Trying to leave it in the past: Two and a half years ago, my partner of seven years sexually assaulted me. We were sharing a room with other people, and he wanted to have sex. After I refused and attempted to go back to sleep, he continued to masturbate against me, purposefully where people could see if they were to wake. After this went on for a considerable amount of time, in shame I led him to the bathroom to have sex with him just so he would stop. I felt disgusted, and was deeply troubled for the rest of the trip. We were, however, moving into our first home, and I loved (and still love) him deeply, so I put it down to his mental health and self-esteem issues, which at the time were particularly bad.

In the last six months, this incident has begun to haunt me. I think about it at least once a day, and it’s gotten worse since the current stories of sexual assault began appearing in the news every day. Talking to him isn’t an option—it will destroy us. He isn’t that man anymore, and has never ever done anything like that again. I fear reminding him will make him regress back to the state he was in at the time of the incident. I’m wondering if therapy could help me to resolve my feelings.

I love my partner, we are truly best friends, and our relationship is fantastic in so many ways. I hope to marry him and know he feels the same way. But I need closure from this historical incident, and to leave it in the past where his behavior stayed.

Re: You've never discussed it or sought therapy, but he's magically 'changed'?

• Options
    If someone I was with - cared about them or not - did that to me, idk if I could not do anything.
    It sounds odd, but it's kind of degrading with LW's spouse did.

It makes sense why LW would get feelings about it again - given the media - and maybe they didn't seek counseling because they didn't see it as an issue then, but I hope they do now.

Also .... where on earth does mental health and self-esteem come into this? I just don't personally see how that could equate to what they did to LW, am I missing something?
  • Options

Also .... where on earth does mental health and self-esteem come into this? I just don't personally see how that could equate to what they did to LW, am I missing something?

SIB: If someone's in a bad place, they can temporarily displace those feelings of self-disgust onto someone else by being shitty. It's not good, we know it's not, most of us won't defend it ever, but it does happen. Hopefully for most people it's not up to this level - I mean, I'm generally just shitty and grumbly and irritating - but mental health is tricky, and sometimes? You just want someone else to feel as bad as you do. 
  • Options
    baconsmom said:

SIB: If someone's in a bad place, they can temporarily displace those feelings of self-disgust onto someone else by being shitty. It's not good, we know it's not, most of us won't defend it ever, but it does happen. Hopefully for most people it's not up to this level - I mean, I'm generally just shitty and grumbly and irritating - but mental health is tricky, and sometimes? You just want someone else to feel as bad as you do. 
    Fair enough, I never made that correlation honestly.
    I've seen people in shitty mental health places, but they were typically more harmful towards themselves than others {myself included}

Also, I may have seen "mental health" and thought of depression/anxiety mixed with self-esteem issues vs what could actually be going on
  • Options
    Counseling should absolutely be the first stop. They will help you work through your feelings and whether bringing up to him is something you want to do. But also 2.5 years wasn't that long ago, give yourself time to work through it. 
  • Options
    "Talking to him isn’t an option—it will destroy us."

Uh, what? You are literally haunted every day because your partner sexually assaulted you but you can't even bring it up without breaking up? Choices: 1) stay in the relationship and continue to be haunted every day 2) talk to him and a counselor and see if you can work through it.....or 3 leave. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Counseling should absolutely be the first stop. They will help you work through your feelings and whether bringing up to him is something you want to do. But also 2.5 years wasn't that long ago, give yourself time to work through it. 

I'm clicking with @mrsconn23's title.

What "epiphany" has happened in the last 2.5 years that the LW's b/f "isn't that man anymore"?

SO WHAT if he hasn't repeated that behavior?  I'm assuming he didn't sexually assault her for the first 4.5 years they were together either.  But then he did.

She doesn't mention what his reaction was after that happened.  Did he profusely apologize?  Understand how grossly wrong and disgusting what he did was?  Maybe...maybe, if he did that of his own volition at the time, they can have a chance with counseling.

I know I'm going way outside the letter on this, but a horrible thought I have is wondering if the LW just always tells him yes now.  Whether consciously or sub-consciously, maybe a part of her thinks "if she says yes, it isn't an assault".  As such, it sadly wouldn't be a behavioral change on his part at all.

-------------------------------------------------------

My example from another advice letter of what can happen when even long-term partners can't respect boundaries:

In the letter, the woman couldn't have anal sex due to a previous experience that had gone badly, medically speaking.  Her and her next b/f were experimentive sexually, open to try most things, which was great with her also.  But she'd told him from the start that anal sex would always be off the table for health reasons.  He didn't like that and would badger her about it, but that was the deal for obvious reasons.

Three years into their relationship, they were doing their usual light bondage and sex fun.  But then he anally raped her while she was tied up and blindfolded.  She had to be rushed to the hospital and into surgery.  She broke up with him.  He attempted suicide and landed in the hospital himself.  And then his family badgered her to "get back together with him", "he didn't mean to hurt you", "he loves you so much and is so sorry".  She was adamant about not getting back together with him (thank goodness), but was starting to second guess herself and wondering if she should stay in touch as friends, at least until he recovered from his mental illness.

Wedding Countdown Ticker