Moms and Maids

Hair & makeup for bridesmaids - who pays??

edited January 2018 in Moms and Maids
I hired a hair and makeup artist for my wedding and am not sure what to do. I know different people do different things but what tends to be the norm? 

Do the bridesmaids pay for their own hair and makeup? Or do I? 

What have been your experiences??
Thanks! 

Re: Hair & makeup for bridesmaids - who pays??

• I hired a hair and makeup artist for my wedding and am not sure what to do. I know different people do different things but what tends to be the norm? 

Thabks! 
    If you’re requiring that they use your professional hair and MUA, you pay.  If you’re just offering them to use the services and it’s their choice, they’d pay.

My experience was I hired a hair stylist and MUA to come to my parents’ house, where I was getting ready.  I offered (but didn’t require) my mother, sisters (co-MOHs) and my BM the services as well.  Mom and sisters took me up on them, BM passed and styled herself.  Both professionals requested the final numbers a week in advance so they knew what time to come/could set up their day.  I found it helpful to request the money for each service in advance, so that I had the cash in the envelopes ready to roll; no awkward shuffling around in wallets at go-time.
  • You hired them, you pay. 

• I answered you on Etiquette. 

• edited June 2018
    You hired them, you pay. 

Even if it isn't something you are requiring, but simply just offering?

In my situation, my future SIL found the girl and 'hired' her (since she is local to the area we are having the wedding in, I am not). I am offering the service to my girls as a choice not requiring it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You hired them, you pay. 

Even if it isn't something you are requiring, but simply just offering?

In my situation, my future SIL found the girl and 'hired' her (since she is local to the area we are having the wedding in, I am not). I am offering the service to my girls as a choice not requiring it.

No, if it's optional, you can let your bm know that if anyone want pro hair and makeup, hair is $X and makeup is $X.

• eileenrob said:
    I hired a hair and makeup artist for my wedding and am not sure what to do. I know different people do different things but what tends to be the norm? 

Thabks! 
    If you’re requiring that they use your professional hair and MUA, you pay.  If you’re just offering them to use the services and it’s their choice, they’d pay.

My experience was I hired a hair stylist and MUA to come to my parents’ house, where I was getting ready.  I offered (but didn’t require) my mother, sisters (co-MOHs) and my BM the services as well.  Mom and sisters took me up on them, BM passed and styled herself.  Both professionals requested the final numbers a week in advance so they knew what time to come/could set up their day.  I found it helpful to request the money for each service in advance, so that I had the cash in the envelopes ready to roll; no awkward shuffling around in wallets at go-time.
    That's how I thought it worked, but my MOH got pissy about it and said it was rude to offer it if I wasn't paying. She said if some people got it and others couldn't afford it they'd feel bad, and that if I wasn't going to pay I should just recommend a salon.

In the end I decided to pay for the bridesmaids' hair and just not offer makeup, because I really don't think it's necessary for them to have professional makeup and my mom wasn't sure the salon she booked had enough makeup artists anyway. So the makeup will be for just myself and my mom.