Wedding Woes
Options

Viv's lucky to have LW

Dear Prudence, 
I’m in my late 20s and have been friends with my neighbor “Viv,” who’s 90, for almost six years. Viv lost her husband more than 10 years ago and lives alone. I come to visit with her about once a week as I work full time and go to school. Since she stopped driving a few years ago Viv tells me that her daughter and son-in-law (who live in our town) make a big deal out of taking her on simple errands and only contact her when they need something from her basement, which they use for storage. They also go on monthlong vacations and leave her to figure out taxi rides for appointments. She often worries that she’ll fall while she is home and that no one will find her for days. Her son who lives across the country brings up assisted living facilities each time he visits, as he is worried that she spends so much time alone. He says when she is ready he’ll come to make sure she gets settled and will take care of her house.

Last night when I visited, Viv told me again of her worries about being alone and said she would rather “go to sleep and not wake up” than deal with moving out of her beloved home of 65 years. What do I do? I love my friend and can understand that after 90 years of life, it can feel like a huge burden to go into assisted living and give up her independence. I do not believe she would intentionally harm herself, but I worry about the pain these feelings and loneliness cause her.
—Concerned Neighbor

Re: Viv's lucky to have LW

• Options
    Keep being a friend to her. 

If she's worried about falling and not having anyone, could you help her to get and use a cell phone if she doesn't have one. Program in your number, numbers of local resources (fire department, emergency services, her children, etc.), and help her find a way to easily keep it with her. 

If she's 90 I'm assuming she's on Medicare, and through that she should be able to schedule transportation to and from doctor appointments. They can be scheduled far in advance so she doesn't have to rely on her kids. 

Even though you're not her child, you're her friend. You can help her do these things, if that's what she wants. Start with asking her what would make her feel more comfortable in her home and go from there. 
  • Options
    Agree with PPs about trying to get info on some social services for seniors that she could then pass along to Viv. There are probably services out there that could help if she knew about them.

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence, 
    I’m in my late 20s and have been friends with my neighbor “Viv,” who’s 90, for almost six years. Viv lost her husband more than 10 years ago and lives alone. I come to visit with her about once a week as I work full time and go to school. Since she stopped driving a few years ago Viv tells me that her daughter and son-in-law (who live in our town) make a big deal out of taking her on simple errands and only contact her when they need something from her basement, which they use for storage. They also go on monthlong vacations and leave her to figure out taxi rides for appointments. She often worries that she’ll fall while she is home and that no one will find her for days. Her son who lives across the country brings up assisted living facilities each time he visits, as he is worried that she spends so much time alone. He says when she is ready he’ll come to make sure she gets settled and will take care of her house.

Last night when I visited, Viv told me again of her worries about being alone and said she would rather “go to sleep and not wake up” than deal with moving out of her beloved home of 65 years. What do I do? I love my friend and can understand that after 90 years of life, it can feel like a huge burden to go into assisted living and give up her independence. I do not believe she would intentionally harm herself, but I worry about the pain these feelings and loneliness cause her.
    —Concerned Neighbor

She should see if there's a seniors liase in their area that can reach out. Where I am, there are groups that stop in and do home visits and encourage independent living when the person is able (as it sounds with Viv) but with extra socialization. 
    We have those near us too :) they're great!

My nana's apartment isn't a senior's living {she's almost 90} but there are a lot. They also look out for each other.
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 Kudos to your SIL for stepping up! With my nana we try to help out, but my aunt has set up certain things for my nana that maybe your SIL may wanna look at {if she hasn't already} at least once nephew starts school
    - cleaning lady
    - errand/grocery lady {will also help with banking if needed}
    - meals on wheels 2x week {she claims they're large portions, so she gets extra meals}
  • Options
    Ditto getting some time of social services involved. It doesn’t sound like an APS report yet because Viv is still independent and reasonably able to care for herself. But it does sound like she needs some help. Even having a public health nurse visit to assess home hazards, provide education and put in consults for social services would be good. We finally convinced my grandma move into a retirement community a few years ago and it was the best thing for her. She’s thriving now, the place has a pool and she swims for an hour every morning. She’s 95. Viv is afraid of moving, but there’s a good chance her quality of life would improve. 

• Options
    Also, you can look into those personal body alarms.  My mother has started wearing one b/c she did fall in the back yard while gardening when no one else was home.  She wears it all the time now.
  • Options
    This could have been written by H's Grandma's neighbor. Basically the same situation. It took several actual falls with decently serious injuries for her to agree to assisted living. And really, assisted living was a compromise..she should be in a nursing home. She can barely walk and needs WAY more medical care than assisted living is equipped to offer. But I digress.

LW can continue to check in on her once a week and/or suggest she gets a LifeAlert (or something similar) button. But otherwise, she shouldn't carry this weight around. Or guilt if something happens to Viv. Viv is a big girl and has made the adult decision to stay home, despite the risks.

Side note: I get a little annoyed when people complain that their kids don't take care of them. You don't pop out kids so they can be your caregivers or check on you every single day. You have them so they can live their own lives (like traveling for a month at a time) and have jobs (which may mean living in another state). The days of having kids who marry local folks and live down the street are basically over. The world is a bigger place.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2018

Side note: I get a little annoyed when people complain that their kids don't take care of them. You don't pop out kids so they can be your caregivers or check on you every single day. You have them so they can live their own lives (like traveling for a month at a time) and have jobs (which may mean living in another state). The days of having kids who marry local folks and live down the street are basically over. The world is a bigger place.
    I agree that there is more to life than taking care of your aging parents.  However, I think it's more complicated than that.  I think everyone, kids or not, need to do their due diligence when it comes to aging and planning for the time when you can no longer be independent.  BUT, in a person like Viv's case...if the kids feel that assisted living is something that would help everyone out (Viv and them), they should be helping to foster that process.  It's not up to this neighbor to do it for them or Viv.  

It's so very complicated and emotional.  If you have a good history and relationship with your parents (and maybe even if you don't.  I don't have experiences with those circumstances because I am very close to my parents and have a good relationship with them), you should be invested in their end of life care and living situation.  These kind of conversations just don't seem to happen until they're necessary and then you're dealing with a person who may have limited and/or declining physical and mental capacities, but an awareness of what they are losing and how things used to be for them.  It makes trying to make these environment changes so much harder.  

If anything, this letter makes me think about the kinds of conversations I need to have and continue to have with my parents, sisters, DH, and FIL. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

I agree that there is more to life than taking care of your aging parents.  However, I think it's more complicated than that.  I think everyone, kids or not, need to do their due diligence when it comes to aging and planning for the time when you can no longer be independent.  BUT, in a person like Viv's case...if the kids feel that assisted living is something that would help everyone out (Viv and them), they should be helping to foster that process.  It's not up to this neighbor to do it for them or Viv.  

It's so very complicated and emotional.  If you have a good history and relationship with your parents (and maybe even if you don't.  I don't have experiences with those circumstances because I am very close to my parents and have a good relationship with them), you should be invested in their end of life care and living situation.  These kind of conversations just don't seem to happen until they're necessary and then you're dealing with a person who may have limited and/or declining physical and mental capacities, but an awareness of what they are losing and how things used to be for them.  It makes trying to make these environment changes so much harder.  

If anything, this letter makes me think about the kinds of conversations I need to have and continue to have with my parents, sisters, DH, and FIL. 
    In my experience (with all of my grandparents, my H's grandma, and H's parents - hypothetical at this point, but followed the same cadence), these conversations go like this:

"We are worried about you. We'd like you to consider assisted living or a nursing home."
    "Are you trying to stick me in a home?"
    "Not at all, but we're worried you might fall and there won't be anyone to help or know."
    "Well maybe you should come around more."
    "We can't. We (live out of state/have jobs that = travel/etc.). We'd really like you to consider it."
    "I love my house and don't want to leave."
    *round and around and around and around and around*

In every situation, this has gone on for YEARS until multiple incidents happen (usually falls) and a doctor (or some third party) tells them to get themselves into assisted living or a nursing home.

I agree with you - it's NOT up to LW and she shouldn't touch that convo with a 10 foot pole. But it sounds like the kids have brought it up to Viv and she hasn't done anything about it. At some point, the ball is in Viv's court and she has decided not to act. That's not on her kids.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I think there is a difference between taking care of them and checking in on your parents/being concerned for their welfare. I would agree that someone complaining their kids aren't being their caregivers is too much, but if I live nearby and can physically help out I'm going to. Doesn't mean it is an every day caregiver thing but I would want to also have a system in place for when I do go on vacation or something so my parents didn't feel lost/abandoned from whatever care I did provide. 

I always tell my brother he's going to have to take care of our parents since he lives the closest and they've given him so much free babysitting over the years that it will be his turn to babysit them :) 
  • Options

First off, I just love that Viv and the LW are friends, despite their 60-year age difference and coming from different generations.

While I can understand Viv's desire to stay in her home, it also sounds like she is lonely and an assisted living situation might actually be the answer she is looking for.  Or some of the other great ideas PPs mentioned for Viv to find friends/activities to look forward to.

The "months long" vacation hit a sad nerve for me.  My 90-year-old grandmother lives with my mom and stepdad.  My grandma is mentally sharp, but has a lot of physical limitations and needs someone to help her with things, at least once or twice day.  Usually mornings and evenings.  But, overall, her health is great and her doctor said he wouldn't be surprised if she lives to 100.

But it's so hard on my mom.  My stepfather retired a few years ago.  My mom has been retired even longer and is almost 70.  They love to travel and own an RV, but have had to really limit that because grandma needs help and would be lonely.  My mom is worried that, by the time my grandma passes on, her own health will be failing and she won't feel well enough to go hog wild with travel.

At any rate, another view point of some challenges Baby Boomers are facing as their parents start heading into their 80s and 90s. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvruns said:

I think there is a difference between taking care of them and checking in on your parents/being concerned for their welfare. I would agree that someone complaining their kids aren't being their caregivers is too much, but if I live nearby and can physically help out I'm going to. Doesn't mean it is an every day caregiver thing but I would want to also have a system in place for when I do go on vacation or something so my parents didn't feel lost/abandoned from whatever care I did provide. 

I always tell my brother he's going to have to take care of our parents since he lives the closest and they've given him so much free babysitting over the years that it will be his turn to babysit them :) 
    Sure and of course! But LW is getting one side of the story. I guarantee her kids have another story to tell.

H's grandma used to say that her kids abandoned her, that no one cared about her, and that she supposed she'd just die alone. She said this stuff to US - the kids of the people she's talking about. Lord knows what she said to neighbors/strangers. And it was simply not true - her kids regularly called, visited, and helped as much as possible but lived out of the state. 

I do think this generation of elderly (and I'm talking like 75 and up) grew up in a time where extended family was usually physically closer and available to the older members of the family. It was a lot more common that women didn't work and were available for things like care giving, being available to take relatives to appointments, helping out around the homes of their older relatives, etc. Now people move away for jobs, extended families aren't as geographically close, and most households have both adults working. It doesn't leave as much opportunity for help. And I think it results in this generation of elderly feeling more alone in addition to not having their expectations met. So when they tell people "my kids don't care about me or help me", that may be true....but it also might be simply that their (unrealistic) expectations may not be being met.

• Options

i agree with you on this.
    we now live halfway across the country from our parents. it's not feasible to drop everything and be at their beck and call. I don't mind helping them research different options (e.g. Meals on Wheels, retirement communities, nursing care, ride service, etc.) when it gets to a point where those things are needed/should be considered. I also feel like children need to be able to set boundaries as to what they are willing to do - e.g. if home nursing care is needed, i'll help them to hire someone and set up appointments, but i'm not going to quit my job and move across the country to care for them because they are too stubborn to hire a nurse or consider a retirement community. 

I'm happy that DK and I are on the same page with willing to help on our terms. When DK was a kid, FIL spent quite a bit of time taking care of DK's paternal grandparents. He would leave work and then drive to their house and stay there for much of the night to give his sister a break from care-giving activities. In talking to DK, I feel like his dad really took things to an extreme and ended up damaging his relationship with MIL and the 4 kids because he spent the better part of 3 years taking care of his parents, and wasn't really there for his family. it eventually resolved after they passed and he was home, but I think there's still some resentment.