Wedding Reception Forum

Drinking glass to hold candle?

I'm having a super small intimate wedding at a restaurant. We don't have a wedding planner, no big decorations, just floral centerpieces which we'll be making and bringing. I wanted to add floating candles in vases though but hubby doesn't want to bring extra stuff since we're carrying all of it on our own plus our 3 small kids. He suggested we use the restaurant glasses lol. His reasoning is  A.)we only need about 6 glasses/vases and B.) the floating candle fits into it and that way we don't have to carry anything to and from - especially because we're packing bags and going away after, we won't have much space left in the far.  Hubby (& best man) is asking if this is genius or not LOL 

Re: Drinking glass to hold candle?

• Please, no rude comments. I know he's half joking but is also slightly serious lol
  • Would the restaurant let you do that? My first thought is that the drinking glass is probably not much wider than the floating candle, and i think typically those look better with a little more room to float around.

What about a pillar flameless candle? Those wouldn't be a hassle to carry in, and setting them up would only involve switching them on vs. filling the glass with water and lighting the floating candle. I just got some flameless candles at Bed Bath & Beyond a few months ago, and they had a 6 or 8 pack in varying sizes for like $30. They look pretty real and even have a waxy outside so they feel real if anyone touches them. Plus then you could use them at home after the wedding.
  • I'm having a super small intimate wedding at a restaurant. We don't have a wedding planner, no big decorations, just floral centerpieces which we'll be making and bringing. I wanted to add floating candles in vases though but hubby doesn't want to bring extra stuff since we're carrying all of it on our own plus our 3 small kids. He suggested we use the restaurant glasses lol. His reasoning is  A.)we only need about 6 glasses/vases and B.) the floating candle fits into it and that way we don't have to carry anything to and from - especially because we're packing bags and going away after, we won't have much space left in the far.  Hubby (& best man) is asking if this is genius or not LOL 
    If this is really important to you, go ahead.  I think centerpieces at a restaurant are not necessary, and it does sounds like a lot of trouble to transport.  I would focus on some other part of your wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Would the restaurant let you do that? My first thought is that the drinking glass is probably not much wider than the floating candle, and i think typically those look better with a little more room to float around. 

What about a pillar flameless candle? Those wouldn't be a hassle to carry in, and setting them up would only involve switching them on vs. filling the glass with water and lighting the floating candle. I just got some flameless candles at Bed Bath & Beyond a few months ago, and they had a 6 or 8 pack in varying sizes for like $30. They look pretty real and even have a waxy outside so they feel real if anyone touches them. Plus then you could use them at home after the wedding.
    -----box box box box box box box box box box box box box-----

Just a heads up, OP - not all glass is the same. Your typical drinking glass is not designed to withstand heat from a flame, so this could cause the glass to shatter. So PPs point that the restaurant might not even let you do this with their glassware is extremely valid - not only from a safety standpoint, but also they may not want their glassware getting wax dripped on them. 

I love the idea above of a pillar flameless candle. Especially since you don't want the hassle of bringing vases when you'll be traveling immediately after. 
  • Does the restaurant have something you could use? 

I got got married and had my reception in a restaurant. I ended up not having floral arrangements and no one missed them. The food was the star and well fed guests don’t really care about table decor. The restaurant had little candles out that are regularly on the tables and it’s looked fine. More room for food. 
  • I've tried this before at home and the candle scorched and cracked the glass. I would be very careful if you tried this.