Wedding Woes

Monday Monday

Good morning! How was everyone's weekend? Ours was pretty good. Wedding Saturday was so much fun. The DJ was fantastic and everyone was up dancing most of the night. Although I did see, for the first time, a baby pulled in a wagon by a child. There were audible gasps and people holding their breath hoping the ~ 1 month old didn't scream or roll over. 

Sunday we saw more houses. Nothing we loved. I think we're going to expand our area to include some other suburbs. It will be a longer commute for me, but might be worth it if we can find something with a bit of land. 

Re: Monday Monday

• Good morning! Glad it was a fun wedding and I hope you find something you love soon!

I had a great weekend. Did nothing Friday, ran errands Saturday and cleaned, made the corned beef and it was awesome.

Yesterday I went to the Blackhawks game and a little dinner thing before with 2 retired players. That was very cool. I believe I witnessed my first ever in-person hat trick, which was also cool.

But today sucks. I got like 3 hours of sleep, I have a headache and I'm hung over.

And still no baby! 3 days passed the due date. I hope he arrives soon because she's really nervous and anxious about being induced and/or a C-section.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Yay Monday - I guess.

Weekend was good - it wad beautiful yesterday so Hubs and I went for a 3 mile hike in a local state park.

This week is insane!  Today, I'm WFH in the am and then headed into the office for some meetings.  Tomorrow, I have to leave early to be at the Capital at 5 with H for a fundraiser for the existing House Dems.  Wednesday, I have a networking event for my job in the evening, and so it goes!

@charlotte989875 Good luck, but make sure any area you extend into you can live happily in.  I moved to a west suburb for H, and while I like it - I wouldn't have left the area I did live in without a purpose.
  • Thanks @ShesSoCold and @kimmiinthemitten; it's frustrating because there's just such low inventory right now. kimmiinthemitten said:
    Yay Monday - I guess.

Weekend was good - it wad beautiful yesterday so Hubs and I went for a 3 mile hike in a local state park.

This week is insane!  Today, I'm WFH in the am and then headed into the office for some meetings.  Tomorrow, I have to leave early to be at the Capital at 5 with H for a fundraiser for the existing House Dems.  Wednesday, I have a networking event for my job in the evening, and so it goes!

@charlotte989875 Good luck, but make sure any area you extend into you can live happily in.  I moved to a west suburb for H, and while I like it - I wouldn't have left the area I did live in without a purpose.
    I totally get that. The area we're extending to is actually where H spent middle & high school, and tons of his friends still live out that way. So we'd probably have a bigger community of friends out there. The only reason we didn't look there until now is that it's south of the city, in the snow belt, and both of my jobs are in the north part of the city, so it would definitely be a commute. But we could get more land out there, have a big group of friends, and both of my jobs are 2 or 3 year contracts, so who knows if I'll stay on after they're done. Trying to give ourselves more options since we really haven't been happy with what we've seen so far. 

• Your political life sounds pretty exciting @kimmiinthemitten; are you enjoying at least some of it?
  • @charlotte989875 Yes we are:).  H and I finally got into a groove and have adjusted pretty well.  The snark from his primary opponent hit an all time high last week, so I'm concerned about H dealing with that through August!  Really, it makes them look bad, but it's hard to read negative things about yourself even when they are blatantly untrue.  I don't know what good they think they're doing by bashing their opponent, the party and the local clubs, but not our problem:).

This weekend will be a lot of fun!  We are going to the March for our Lives in Detroit and then he has a fundraiser that night followed up by a speech opportunity Monday and if I do say so myself, I wrote a damn good speech for him!  The club is mainly women so he asked me to write the first draft and then we sent it to an experienced speech writer who had minimal edits!
  • I went to Top Taco NOLA on Thursday.  WHAT.A.RIP-OFF!!  My H and I were really disappointed.  SO not worth it.  For the general admission tickets, the event was from 7PM-10PM.  We got in line to get in around 7:10.  Finally got in at 7:30.  Lines were about 30 minutes long for every booth.  To get (usually) one taco.  Half the booths started closing up at 8:30 because they were out of food.  All the food booths were closed by 9:00, an hour early, because they were out of food.  And for that fiasco, the normal tickets were $69/per, though my H and I got them for $34/per with a Groupon.

The only thing that made it even "break even" worth it for us, happened by accident, lol.  We just got food from the first booth we went to and were looking for a bar table to just set the plates down on and eat.  We saw one under this tented area and ducked in.  There were three taco booths in there and a few cocktail booths.  No lines!  And the area was less crowded.  We thought, since it was off to the side, maybe fewer people saw it.  Still seemed weird, but we weren't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.  We hung out for awhile.  We especially liked the tacos at one of the places in there and got seconds thirds.  As we were heading back towards the entrance/exit to leave again, we noticed a guard.  Who was checking for special wristbands, :O.  Apparently we had wandered into a VIP area!  Sorrynotsorry.  We would have left the event still hungry, if it hadn't been for that.

I took Friday off and lounged around.  Saturday we ran errands.  Sunday was more lounging around.

Today should be pretty good.  I have a decent amount of work, but nothing overwhelming.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That stinks the taco event was a bust. Sort of sounds like one of the beer fests I used to go to. You had to line up to get in 30 min ahead if you didn't have early entrance tickets because otherwise you'd wait in line forever to get in and then every tent would have a wait. Now I never waited 30 min that would be awful. Glad you found your way to the restricted area haha
  • S+S - That sounds like the Taco Gods were shining down on you that you happened into the VIP tent for free!  That stinks about the rest of it.  I bet people were up in arms, especially if they paid full price.  They had a cheesesteak festival in Philly a few years ago and people were ranting and raving after the first one because there were some big pitfalls.  But they fixed their mistakes and changed for the better.  I may go to it this year!

I also wanted to ask you about the Irish+Italian parade in NOLA.  People on the Instant Pot fb pages were showing the fruits/veggies they scored from the Irish+Italian parade.  Just wondering if you know the origins about why they throw the produce!

Charlotte - You guys will find your place!

Kimmi - Hope Mr. Mittens speech goes well next week and good on you for your talented speech that had minimal changes!

SSC - Glad you had fun at the hockey game!

Our weekend was so relaxing and just plain fun!  I came home Friday and H had the most gorgeous bouquet of flowers for me!  One of the best he has ever gotten for me!

Saturday we were able to sleep in a bit.  We did somethings around the house, but nothing crazy.  We then got gussied up for our big night out.  We went to Church first (so we didn't have to deal with DD or wake up early on Sunday!), then down to AC for dinner and Lewis Black.  Dinner was amazing!  We had the bacon appetizer, the porterhouse for two, and the drunken banana dessert.  So much food, but so very good!  We both agreed it was one of the best dinners we have ever eaten!  Lewis Black was hilarious.  His parents are 99 and 100, so I hope he keeps touring for another 20 years!  He has the longevity in his genes!  After the show, we stayed to gamble a bit.  I ended up winning $50, so I won back H's money and paid for a portion of dinner!

Sunday DD let us sleep in until 9!  I love that little girl and her ability to sleep overnight!  My brother stopped by to pick up my niece, so she could babysit for him!  Then we got up for breakfast.  Around noon, DD was ready for a nap, so we put her down.  H & I had nap time too!  We woke up around 3, then lounged around until it was ready for bed. 

• @OliveOilsMom, I'm glad you and your H had such a great dinner and show on Sat.!

You're talking about the Irish-Italian parade, which was yesterday (Sunday) in Metairie, LA (suburb city next to NOLA).  But there was also a St. Patrick's Day parade in NOLA on Sat. and another one in Metairie the weekend before (3/10).

Beads, cabbages, other veggies, fruit, moon pies, plus other stuff is thrown at all of those.  The Irish-Italian parade will also have the occasional cans of tomato paste and boxes of spaghetti handed out. 

Why does this tradition of float riders giving people grocery items exist?  I'm not really sure.  As far as I know, that's always been done and the "idea" is you can take your parade goodies, throw in the corned beef, and your St. Paddy's day meal is done.

However, I will take a good guess.  Stuff (historically beads and doubloons) has always been given out to parade watchers for Mardi Gras parades.  Which have a much longer history than all of these March parades.

So, when the various March parades popped up, I'm assuming some/all the groups in the floats decided it would be funny to throw out the supplemental ingredients for corned beef and cabbage to parade goers.

And a new tradition was born!  I've recommended to people before who want to experience a Mardi Gras-like parade, but are nervous to come during the chaos of actual Mardi Gras, to come visit for one of the St. Paddy day parades and/or Irish-Italian parade.  It's all the fun of catching stuff from a float, but with (relatively speaking) smaller crowds.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That sounds like a fantastic weekend @OliveOilsMom; especially the food and the napping!
  • I am picturing people with black eyes or bruises from bad catching of a head of cabbage or can of tomato paste
  • kvruns said:
    I am picturing people with black eyes or bruises from bad catching of a head of cabbage or can of tomato paste

Larger and "hard" items like that are typically handed or a "short and gentle toss" to people.

There used to not really be any rules but, about 15ish years ago, there started being more frequent incidents of parade goers being injured from float riders chucking heavy objects.  For both Mardi Gras and the March parades.

Rules/codes of conduct were passed down to the various riding groups and krewes.  Even before, it wasn't the majority of riders.  And, nowadays, you almost never see it.  There are police EVERYWHERE.  Mainly to keep the parade goers in check.  But they will also yank a rider off a float, with a quickness!, if they are purposely throwing things too hard and/or "at" people, instead of "to" people.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got a random burst of energy this weekend and got a ton of deep cleaning done. Outside windows, curtains, blinds, ceiling fans...just random stuff that always sits at the bottom of the list. 

I cleaned and organized my office at work so I won't be stressing out about people not being able to find things if they need it and I'm all of sudden on leave. 

Now we just need to decide on a name for this damn kid....!
    Damn. That's seriously impressive.
  • I got a random burst of energy this weekend and got a ton of deep cleaning done. Outside windows, curtains, blinds, ceiling fans...just random stuff that always sits at the bottom of the list. 

I remember that end of pregnancy energy burst.  I got so much done.  I had the full-on nesting thing going on. 

Now you need a long walk at the mall, either a milkshake and burger or pizza and cake, and the best nap of your pregnancy to force Babybelle out.  :) 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I got a random burst of energy this weekend and got a ton of deep cleaning done. Outside windows, curtains, blinds, ceiling fans...just random stuff that always sits at the bottom of the list. 

I remember that end of pregnancy energy burst.  I got so much done.  I had the full-on nesting thing going on. 

Now you need a long walk at the mall, either a milkshake and burger or pizza and cake, and the best nap of your pregnancy to force Babybelle out.  :) 
    And all the sex. Pretty sure that's recommended too. And even if it's not, it can't hurt to try. ;)
    *********************************************************************************

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Saturday- I cooked and cleaned

Sunday- PARTY!! My brother and family showed up at 11:45 and they left at 6.  It was fun, but everyone was exhausted.  My "co-teacher" called off again today.  We've had 18 sessions and she's missed 5.  I'm not happy. 

On the plus side my neighbor took Max at 10 am and HE'S STILL THERE.  I've worked, done laundry, prepped for tonight, done dishes, prepped lunches this week, worked out, then did a quick run after he left (2 miles in 18:02!). 

We start outdoor practices this week.  We're supposed to get 3" of snow Tuesday and 1-3 on Saturday.  We have a tournament Saturday/Sunday!!

• I took Friday off and between that and a high maintenance account, today has been crazy!

That said, St. Patrick's Day was fantastic, I have a boatload of leftovers and  I'm thrilled that my kids had a good time with their cousins.  

• Just when I think I can't be more horrified with what people actually put up on Go Fund Me.

I read this on NextDoor.  A local business in my neighborhood posted that they are having trouble and trying to keep the doors open.  They talked a little about the great things in the neighborhood.  What kind of shop they are.  Encouraged people to come and visit.  All fine and great, so far.

But then they also ask people to donate to their GoFundMe account!  Handy link included.  GTFO.  Is this for real?  They are not a charity.  They are a for-profit business.  I can't even with this, smh. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just when I think I can't be more horrified with what people actually put up on Go Fund Me.

I read this on NextDoor.  A local business in my neighborhood posted that they are having trouble and trying to keep the doors open.  They talked a little about the great things in the neighborhood.  What kind of shop they are.  Encouraged people to come and visit.  All fine and great, so far.

But then they also ask people to donate to their GoFundMe account!  Handy link included.  GTFO.  Is this for real?  They are not a charity.  They are a for-profit business.  I can't even with this, smh. 

People like that give GFM a bad name. If you're soliciting strangers' donations to keep your for-profit business afloat, it's probably going to fail. Maybe I'd feel differently if their GFM laid out their new marketing campaign, or improvements to their storefront, or upgrades to their equipment, or whatever the donations were going to. But yea...

Admittedly, I get unnecessarily judgy about GFMs. 99.9% of the shit that's on there could be resolved with fiscal responsibility, financial research/planning, and frugal lifestyles. 
    *********************************************************************************

People like that give GFM a bad name. If you're soliciting strangers' donations to keep your for-profit business afloat, it's probably going to fail. Maybe I'd feel differently if their GFM laid out their new marketing campaign, or improvements to their storefront, or upgrades to their equipment, or whatever the donations were going to. But yea...

Admittedly, I get unnecessarily judgy about GFMs. 99.9% of the shit that's on there could be resolved with fiscal responsibility, financial research/planning, and frugal lifestyles. 
    Agreed!  Generally speaking, the only GFMs I can get behind are for charitable organizations and unexpected/extraordinary medical expenses or a death.  And even the death category, I could have a slight side-eye to, depending on the circumstances. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Right there with you.  And I am judgy about people who share GFM pages for every Tom, Dick, and Harry that they are friends with on FB.  A close friend of DH's family does this shit and I get very eye-rolly (and then I move on).  ;) 
  • I'm also super judgy with the GFMs. One of the worst I've seen, I actually saw people donate to.

We have a rich guy in our town with a million + house. He owns a landscaping company and I think a lighting company.

Every year, he does this giant obnoxious light show with a radio station and everything. People love it, but it's a pain in the ass. The house is on a 2 lane country road, surrounded by other 2 lane country roads. The traffic for the house has been fucking up our little town for years. Last year or the year before, the village told them they'd have to pay for cops to organize the cars, the signs telling people where to go, etc. They set up a GFM for it for like $10,000. And people paid it.

I judge that they set it up. But I judge more the people who gave their money to some rich ass rather than someone who actually needs it.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Agreed!  Generally speaking, the only GFMs I can get behind are for charitable organizations and unexpected/extraordinary medical expenses or a death.  And even the death category, I could have a slight side-eye to, depending on the circumstances. 
    I have an issue with GFM in that with a bit of planning, for most people they aught to be unnecessary. I completely side eye them up here as for health care reasons they are unnecessary, for the rest, put money aside every month like a responsible adult for insurance. 
  • I have zero issues with GFM as long as it isn’t a fraud- if you are using the money for what you say you are, I see no reason to get worked up about it.