Chit Chat
Options

Vacation- Hawaii

Hi everyone!  

I am lucky enough to have to go to Hawaii for work in late October/early November (and of course, I am dragging H with me!).  We're flying into Maui, staying a few days, then heading over to Kauai for a few days.  

I'm pretty stumped about Kauai though- I keep wavering where to stay- South side?  North side?  What hotel?  From what I gather,  they are completely different scenery-wise, weather-wise, etc.  Right now, I'm leaning more towards the North side, but I'm nervous that late Oct/early Nov is the beginning of "winter" there, and thus the beginning of rainy season...

Has anyone ever been?  Would love to hear your thoughts/recommendations!  Hit me with anything you got- Maui, Kauai- would love to hear it all.  Thank you! :)

Re: Vacation- Hawaii

• Options

I have been to Kauai twice and we are planning a return visit for January 2019!  Kauai is the least developed of the islands, it is also the only one that does not have a road that goes all the way around itself.

Both times we stayed in Princeville, but that is because we are timeshare owners and that is where the resorts are.  It can be rainy, but its a tropical area, so it could rain off and on even in the summertime.  If its ever raining in the North side, you can always drive around and generally once you hit Kapaa, the weather is totally different!  In the South, Poipu is the other big area for resorts.  It is generally really sunny here.  If you are only going to have a few days, I would say go with either Kapaa, Lihue, or Poipu areas. 

As for things to do: Kauai Backcountry Adventures tubing is a MUST!  It is our favorite activity and we plan to go again in January.  You tube through old irrigation tunnels that were dug by hand to water the sugar crops. 

You should do a luau somewhere.  I've heard good things about the Old Lahaina one in Maui, but you will probably need to book it ahead of time.  We did the Luau Kalamaka in Kauai, which was really great.  It is at an old Hawaiian plantation that now distills rum! 

You should also take either a boat or helicopter tour of the Napali coast.  It is the only way to see it, since there are no roads that side of the island.  I recommend Captain Andy's Dinner cruise.

Renting a car is a must on Kauai as their public transportation is not good.  One drive you should take is the Waimea Canyon drive.  It is a Technicolor version of the grand canyon, just smaller in size!  If you do the helicopter ride, you will probably also fly over this.

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for hotels.  I recommend going to Hanalei for the afternoon and then hit up the St. Regis Hotel in Princeville on your way back to your hotel for the sunset.  You will have to pay for valet, but its not much.  They have great drinks and always do a toast to the sunset each night.  It's a beautiful hotel with an amazing view!

Lastly, on both islands - eat ALL the shave ice you can find!!!!!  I especially recommend Uhlani's in Maui.  The main location is in Lahaina, but I think they have other storefronts.  Also, drink POG!  It is a Passion Fruit, Orange and Guava juice that is amazing! 

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    DH and I were in Maui in August- loved it! Have not been to Kauai but have heard amazing things about it. If we ever go back to Hawaii, we will go to Kauai.

The airport in Maui is fairly central. The East side of the island is the tropical area, thus more likely to have rain, and the ocean is more turbulent on that side. It is less touristy, where Hana is considered traditional Hawaii. Unspoiled beauty. The West side is more dry and desert-like, less rain, beautiful calm beaches for swimming and snorkeling, thus more touristy, lots of places to stay. We booked a condo through VRBO in Lahaina. Pool at the condo and right on the ocean. But there are beaches upon beaches upon beaches, so anywhere along the cost where you stay is good. The Lahaina "downtown" is very touristy, but there are some cool historical buildings you can tour for free or a small fee. Definitely rent a vehicle.

Food/ Beverages: Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop, in Lahaina- go for lunch, really good sandwiches and amazing mini/personal pies! SanSei Sushi- BEST sushi we've ever had! Quite pricey, and requires a reservation (or you'll be waiting a long time like we did) but soooo good! Da Fish Shack in Hana- it is literally this trailer on the side of the road on Hana Hwy with the BEST fish tacos! If you're into spirits, take a tour of Hali'imaile Distillery where they made vodka and rum from pineapples. Mauigrown Coffee Co is also in Lahaina and is a working coffee plantation where you can buy individual cups and bags of coffee- good stuff!

Things to see: If you're on the west side of the island, driving north along the coast up to where the paved highway ends is a fairly quick drive where you can stop a few places in a couple of hours, like the Nakalele blow hole. Do a sunrise tour of Haleakala- so awesome! We did a bike tour with Bike Maui where they drive you up to the summit to watch the sunrise over the crater, then you hop on a bike and ride down. Definitely drive the Road to Hana- this will take ALLL day (some people chose to spend an overnight at a B&B, we did it in 12hrs) and hike the Pipiwai Trail to see the Waimoku Falls and the Oheo Gulch Pools. There are also red and black sand beaches just outside of Hana that you can get to from the Hana Hwy. There are also snorkeling tours you can do where they take you out to a reef, but we did not do that as I get super motion sick (I got sick a few times driving around the island and in the waves anyway). Seeing a luau is also a great experience- the Old Lahaina one is highly recommended but does require reservations.

I think most of the islands have a helicopter tour you can take were you can view waterfalls and such unreachable by land. Pricey of course, but if that is in your budget, it would be an awesome experience! DH found out about one on Maui just before we were leaving that takes you to the "Wall of Tears" (several converging waterfalls) that can only be seen by helicopter, he really would've enjoyed doing that.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Thank you both SO much!  Amazing help.  Will be showing this to H later, and then we're going to get our butts in gear with planning.

Thanks again!  <3
  • Options
    Kauai is my favorite island. I would highly recommend the following:

- Waimea Canyon
    - Queens Bath
    - Hanakapiai Falls (if you're into hiking and scenary - it's a long, difficult hike and the waterfall is COLD)
    - Tunnel's Beach (for snorkeling)
    - Hanalei Beach (for lounging and scenery)
    - JoJo's Shave Ice - get the macadamia nut ice cream with coconut shave ice...it will change your life.
    - Kauai Coffee Plantation (just stop by for coffee, not really a destination)
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I've never been to Kauai but my husband has and he prefers Poipu area 
  • Options
    Thank you @southernbelle0915 and @kvruns !!  Much appreciated!

Seems like the southern part of Kauai (Poipu) is the winner here, even though I was leaning towards the north shore... hmmm... lots to think about!  Thank you :smile: