Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invite Question

What are the the absolutely required elements of a wedding invitation? It's been a while since I've actually gotten one in the mail. 

My fiance is designing our invites (he's a graphic designer) and I need to make sure I have him design all the required elements. So far all I've figured out is actual invite and an RSVP card. Anything I'm missing?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Invite Question

• No. Some people add things like a directions card. Sometimes a reception card if the reception is in a different location. Some people add a rehearsal dinner invitation for some people, although that information can also be delivered informally. 
  • We just had the invite card and RSVP card too (with SAS envelope). If you do more cards (like for directions, or the reception if at different location, or even another insert with extra stuff for people who don't read websites), remember that you're risking upping your postage needs too. 

• Invite, reply card, reply card envelope and invite envelope. That is it. You can include other insert cards like destination information, directions, additional invites to other elements if rehearsal dinner or brunch the next morning. 
  • Thanks all! 

I knew the rule about the gifts and registries being a no-no... But can someone explain why? I have a giant MOH-zilla (whole other story) that is dang near insistent that I include registry info in the invite. 

I have a wedding website and was thinking of including that information on a separate card, but nothing else. Just the website. Is that ok? That way my guests have the option of a Paperless RSVP. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The registry link or those little departments store cards may be included in shower invitations, since the shower is hosted by someone other than the couple and the point of that party is to shower the couple with gifts.

The wedding is hosted by either the couple or close family member and therefore asking for gifts is inappropriate. It's fine to print the wedding website address on the rsvp card, especially if there is an option to respond, get directions, hotel info, as well as the registry info. In other words, the main focus of the website shouldn't be gifts.

• I agree with @MairePoppy. If you have an info card or RSVP card you can include the wedding website there assuming you have information other than registry info on the website. Registry information on the invitation is an absolute NO I don't care what your MOH-zilla says.
  • Ok awesome. Thank you all.

The wedding website has A TON of info on it, including the hotel block info, things to do in the area, RSVP options and the cheesy random factoids about FI and I. 

I'm not sure why MOH-zilla is trying to plan my wedding for me... Her mom planned her wedding and they were divorced 16 months later. (again, long story)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks all! 

I knew the rule about the gifts and registries being a no-no... But can someone explain why? I have a giant MOH-zilla (whole other story) that is dang near insistent that I include registry info in the invite. 

I have a wedding website and was thinking of including that information on a separate card, but nothing else. Just the website. Is that ok? That way my guests have the option of a Paperless RSVP. 
    The invitation is coming from you Putting the registry on the invitation is asking for gifts. Yes, most guests give gifts, but you don't ask for them. It's the equivalent of sending a holiday card to family members and including your wish list. Yeah, grandma is probably going to send something, but you don't tell her what you want until she asks. 

Just nod and ignore your MOH, or bean dip her. "Thanks for the info, we'll look into it. Have you tried this dip?"