Wedding Woes

Tuesday!

I have the girliest, first-worldiest problem ever.

It's spring/summer so I get pedicures every 4 weeks. But now I get no-chip manicures every two weeks. Do I get the same nail color twice? Do I just take them off after 2 weeks and leave my nails naked for two weeks? WHAT TO DOOOO?!

How everyone else doing?

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Tuesday!

• Good Morning!
    I usually tend to get the same three colors in a gel manicure on a rotating basis. Last year I was really big on this OPI gel color Let's Be Friends (a super pale pink) and I would get that color back to back. No shame in that game. I usually switch up my pedicure color though. 

I have a bunch of stuff to crank on today for my deadline that is due tomorrow. And it's my Thursday! 

When I picked up Babypants yesterday it was super nice out so we went for a quick 25-minute walk which she really enjoyed. Today is looking like it will be the same, so hopefully I can leave on time so we can go for another walk.

• I have the girliest, first-worldiest problem ever.

It's spring/summer so I get pedicures every 4 weeks. But now I get no-chip manicures every two weeks. Do I get the same nail color twice? Do I just take them off after 2 weeks and leave my nails naked for two weeks? WHAT TO DOOOO?!

How everyone else doing?

I’m confused. Are you worried about your fingers and toes matching? I never do that. I like to go really bold on my toes and something complimentary on my fingers. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2018

I have the girliest, first-worldiest problem ever.

How everyone else doing?

yeah, pedicures last longer. I'd go one time no chip/pedi and then the next just a no chip  next time no chip/pedi and so on.  I have been told you do want them to "breathe" every 3 or 4 no chip's though.  Do you need them redone after 2 weeks? Mine last 3, but I'm cheap so I like to make it last as long as I can.

• I’m confused. Are you worried about your fingers and toes matching? I never do that. I like to go really bold on my toes and something complimentary on my fingers. 
    yeah, pedicures last longer. I'd go one time no chip/pedi and then the next just a no chip  next time no chip/pedi and so on.  I have been told you do want them to "breathe" every 3 or 4 no chip's though.  Do you need them after 2 weeks? Mine last 3, and I'm cheap so I like to make it last as long as I can.

Starmoon - Yeah. I like them to match.

Pam - My nails grow quickly and after 2 weeks, they're pretty grown out. I might soak them off myself and leave them alone for those two weeks. Seems like a cheap and reasonable solution..

I was more just kind of laughing at myself that my mani/pedi schedule was a "problem".

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I have the girliest, first-worldiest problem ever.

How everyone else doing?

I’m confused. Are you worried about your fingers and toes matching? I never do that. I like to go really bold on my toes and something complimentary on my fingers. 
    This is me as well. And I usually alternate blue-based shades with red-based shades so I don't get a stain on my toenails from too many reds or too many blues in a row. 
  • I’m confused. Are you worried about your fingers and toes matching? I never do that. I like to go really bold on my toes and something complimentary on my fingers. 
    yeah, pedicures last longer. I'd go one time no chip/pedi and then the next just a no chip  next time no chip/pedi and so on.  I have been told you do want them to "breathe" every 3 or 4 no chip's though.  Do you need them after 2 weeks? Mine last 3, and I'm cheap so I like to make it last as long as I can.

Starmoon - Yeah. I like them to match.

Pam - My nails grow quickly and after 2 weeks, they're pretty grown out. I might soak them off myself and leave them alone for those two weeks. Seems like a cheap and reasonable solution..

I was more just kind of laughing at myself that my mani/pedi schedule was a "problem".

then I'm jealous because mine take foooooorever.  But if you get a light shade, you're more prone to not notice nail growth.  Mine happen to chip because I'm so rough with them, but I still wait the 3 weeks.

• 6fsn said:

I've had one manicure and 3 pedicures in the last decade.  I can't even begin to comment.

It's rainy and dreary today so I'm betting soccer practices get cancelled.  M2 has her ortho appointment today.  I'm praying she gets good news.

My SFIL wants to take DH and 6let to a baseball game.  My head understands why Max wouldn't be invited, but my heart is sad about it.  Plus Max I'm going to be the one that has to deal with Max.  When they pick a date I might have to book a night with my mom.

Anniversary funny- I ended up getting DH 2 bottles of wine with 13 on the label.  I ended up putting them in a Christmas bag.  He got me a bottle of vodka and put it in a Christmas bag.  I'm glad we were both sort of fails.

Who’s Max? And why can’t Max go to? I’m sad for Max and I have no understanding who this person (beloved family pet?) even is!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    6fsn said:

I've had one manicure and 3 pedicures in the last decade.  I can't even begin to comment.

It's rainy and dreary today so I'm betting soccer practices get cancelled.  M2 has her ortho appointment today.  I'm praying she gets good news.

My SFIL wants to take DH and 6let to a baseball game.  My head understands why Max wouldn't be invited, but my heart is sad about it.  Plus Max I'm going to be the one that has to deal with Max.  When they pick a date I might have to book a night with my mom.

Anniversary funny- I ended up getting DH 2 bottles of wine with 13 on the label.  I ended up putting them in a Christmas bag.  He got me a bottle of vodka and put it in a Christmas bag.  I'm glad we were both sort of fails.

Who’s Max? And why can’t Max go to? I’m sad for Max and I have no understanding who this person (beloved family pet?) even is!
    Max is my third kid. He’s only 5. If it was a AAA game it’s one thing, but it would be a major league game with a pricier ticket. He could go, but for a lot of sfil reasons it’s better he not. He’d end up having more fun with my parents anyway. 
  • Hey everyone.  I've had a cold the last two days and am feeling so draggy.  On the good side, it isn't affecting my nose too much.  But my throat is sore and I keep coughing.

Other than that, everything is going well.  I'm leaving an hour early today to go pick up more cable boxes.  The new tenant in my personal duplex is going to split the cable/internet bill with us, so the boxes are for the tvs on his side.  I am very excited to start splitting that bill!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn said:
    6fsn said:

Max is my third kid. He’s only 5. If it was a AAA game it’s one thing, but it would be a major league game with a pricier ticket. He could go, but for a lot of sfil reasons it’s better he not. He’d end up having more fun with my parents anyway. 
    Ahhh gotcha. Yeah that’s a bummer 
  • I’m getting a mani pedi today too and I’m so excited. I usually get them done every two weeks but I held out because it’s FSIL’s birthday and she wanted to get them done together. I regret holding out a little bit because yesterday basically all of my nails broke, and one of them broke painfully far down.   :s  I usually match my nails and toes. I just like the symmetry of it I guess? And if you find a color that rocks, get it twice. 

Last night I cooked a steak, shrimp, and scallops dinner with green beans and a strawberry poppyseed salad and it was so good. FI saw how stressed I’ve been about the current state of the house so he went out and cleared a space in the garage so we can move one of the couches out. I can’t wait until the couch is out of here. 

I hope you feel better @short+sassy!

• Mani/pedis: I get a dark colour on my hands because I have baby nails and I can get away with crazy colours. I always go bright and bold on my feet. I stay in the blues, greens, purples, for nail colours. If I stray into reds or pinks, they are usually bright, no pastel unless it's robin's egg blue, or mint green. 

I'm dealing with someone trying to throw my department under the bus at work. However, I'm in accounting and we have paperwork to back up our paperwork, so if tries to push further, I'm pulling her under with me.
  • I'm finally crashing from the race and I'm exhausted. I have zero energy and even less motivation. I'm just trying to make it through the day. 

You're all reminding me I desperately need to schedule a pedi, but I won't until after the marathon. My feet are gross, but callouses help the running so they'll stay gross until the end of May. I'll pain my toes myself, but that's it until after the big race.  
  • Also I'm ravenously hungry, but too tired to do anything about it. 
  • I get manicures before big events or big vacations.  Other than that, my fingernails are never painted.  But a gel mani does grow out to the point of being noticed at about 2 weeks.  I can definitely stretch a pedi.   I don't match my fingers and toes if I get a mani/pedi. 

Feel better @short+sassy

I'm in a mood and DH knows it.  He keeps asking me what's up, but it's better off I sort it out in my head.  

I am super duper hangry and I need to drop a return at UPS and run to the store for a couple odds and ends.  I have no idea what to pick up for lunch.  
  • Sparkle - It's so nice getting outside for walks with DD, isn't it?  We have been taking family walks too and its really nice!

MrsConn - Just don't buy out the store!  I have a terrible problem when I food shop hungry or even hangry - that I want to buy and eat everything!

Stupid council voted unanimously for an 8% tax increase last night.  This was after listening to residents till about 1 AM two meetings in a row tell them how much it would hurt them financially.  Good to know that the council listens.  And we have another 3 years until the next election.  H and I have been more casually talking about moving due to the tax increases.  This will be 21% since we moved in 4 years ago.  If it wasn't for the assessment change I got us our first year in the house, we would be close to if not above $10k for our property taxes with the current increase.  Yay Jersey! ::eye roll::

Tonight is yoga at work, we moved it from Wednesday this week.  I didn't have a lunch to bring, so I need to get something for $10 or less.  I have too many options!  I just know it will be something other than pizza because we had that for dinner and I'm not feeling it now.

• Sparkle - It's so nice getting outside for walks with DD, isn't it?  We have been taking family walks too and its really nice!

MrsConn - Just don't buy out the store!  I have a terrible problem when I food shop hungry or even hangry - that I want to buy and eat everything!

Stupid council voted unanimously for an 8% tax increase last night.  This was after listening to residents till about 1 AM two meetings in a row tell them how much it would hurt them financially.  Good to know that the council listens.  And we have another 3 years until the next election.  H and I have been more casually talking about moving due to the tax increases.  This will be 21% since we moved in 4 years ago.  If it wasn't for the assessment change I got us our first year in the house, we would be close to if not above $10k for our property taxes with the current increase.  Yay Jersey! ::eye roll::

Tonight is yoga at work, we moved it from Wednesday this week.  I didn't have a lunch to bring, so I need to get something for $10 or less.  I have too many options!  I just know it will be something other than pizza because we had that for dinner and I'm not feeling it now.

Wow, that's crazy. I thought NY taxes were bad...
  • @OliveOilsMom 21% property tax increase in 4 years? What is the increase funding? 

Re: mani/pedi, I've had one manicure in my life and I hated it. I don't like polish on my fingernails at all. I do like it on my feet and wish I got more pedicures other than a couple times a year for vacations
  • Yes 21%.  In 2015 our first full year there was a 1% increase (totally normal), then in 2016 it was a 12% increase, then in 2017 it was 0% because it was an election year.  Now its 8% for 2018.  There budget is totally whack.  We just bonded printers and other small electronics that will be out of date by the time it is paid off.  We had a $5.2 million surplus last year, so why did we need to bond small items and have an 8% increase?  If you ask council, they take your question to assume that they are on the take and pocketing the money!

A similar township in square miles but has 10k more people has a lower budget than we do.  Its unreal.  We have solar fields all over, but apparently they don't help with the bills.  We have a large outlet mall that is starting to pay property taxes (they have a staggered abatement), but yet we still need to raise taxes again.  Our township liability insurance went up 154%, but we can't shop for new insurance?  I'm sure if any resident had either car or homeowners insurance go up 154% - we would be shopping around! 

We have some very intelligent residents from both sides of the aisle and not on council trying to figure out the spending and they can't. 

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited April 2018

Yes 21%.  In 2015 our first full year there was a 1% increase (totally normal), then in 2016 it was a 12% increase, then in 2017 it was 0% because it was an election year.  Now its 8% for 2018.  There budget is totally whack.  We just bonded printers and other small electronics that will be out of date by the time it is paid off.  We had a $5.2 million surplus last year, so why did we need to bond small items and have an 8% increase?  If you ask council, they take your question to assume that they are on the take and pocketing the money!

A similar township in square miles but has 10k more people has a lower budget than we do.  Its unreal.  We have solar fields all over, but apparently they don't help with the bills.  We have a large outlet mall that is starting to pay property taxes (they have a staggered abatement), but yet we still need to raise taxes again.  Our township liability insurance went up 154%, but we can't shop for new insurance?  I'm sure if any resident had either car or homeowners insurance go up 154% - we would be shopping around! 

We have some very intelligent residents from both sides of the aisle and not on council trying to figure out the spending and they can't. 

Probably because they are.  That is completely insane.  Since the vote was unanimous, it will be easy to know who to vote against in the next election.

Edited to add:  I have my own neighborhood woes.  I got a letter in the mail from some guy who is buying a building that is one block over from me.  It has previously been a daycare center on the bottom and a residential home on the 2nd floor.

This yahoo wants to turn it into a hostel that can hold up to 18 guests.  No parking lot on the property at all.  Not even a driveway.  My block is so mellow and quiet.  I only have street parking, which is nbd.  There are almost always plenty of spots available.  But if this plan goes through, I could see my parking becoming a problem.

For him, it would involve a zoning change.  Hence the letter.  He is looking for the "support of his neighbors"...fat chance, jerk...and is having a meeting about this project on May 5th.

Interesting date (side eye). There is a HUGE annual event called Jazz Fest going on that weekend.  Nobody is going to go to his meeting and, unless people can walk there, nobody could park anywhere near that place anyway during this event.  It's like he is trying to hide what he is doing.  I don't know this for sure, but I suspect part of trying to change the zoning is alerting surrounding neighbors and holding a meeting for them.  So sleazy.

Previously, my neighborhood rallied around stopping a liquor store from reopening across the street from a park.  A few dozen people, including my H, went to the hearing at City Hall and we stopped them!

Hopefully, there will be similar support and we can stop this guy also.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello!

Work is finally done for the season.   Who knows when the summer job starts, I'm guessing sometime in late May?  

I did get a good bonus, which was nice.  Over the weekend I went to Moab with some co-workers.  It was a good time.     One coworker/hiking buddy talked me into doing a 5k in a few weeks.  I hate running and haven't in a long time.  I was pretty happy to run 3.5 miles yesterday without stopping.  Even ran 11 min mile.   Not bad right?

DH is doing good.  He is back to work (6 hours).  They are closed so it's just busy work.  They ramp up next month.    He is over not being able to chew though.    He was to start purees on Monday.  He jumped the gun and started when I was gone.  Then he decided to try soft foods, which he isn't to have for another 4 weeks.   It wasn't going as well as he had hoped.   Yesterday I was able to reel him back in and get back on schedule.  I just hope he is eating properly while at work.

@short+sassy - gotta love Jazz Fest.  I have 2 friends who are working a crawfish booth down there.  It's one of their first time in NOLA.  I hope he survives   :tongue:

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited April 2018
    lyndausvi said:

DH is doing good.  He is back to work (6 hours).  They are closed so it's just busy work.  They ramp up next month.    He is over not being able to chew though.    He was to start purees on Monday.  He jumped the gun and started when I was gone.  Then he decided to try soft foods, which he isn't to have for another 4 weeks.   It wasn't going as well as he had hoped.   Yesterday I was able to reel him back in and get back on schedule.  I just hope he is eating properly while at work.

GL to the hubs. I will admit, the first 6 weeks of this thing sucks. And pureed was harder for me than the liquid diet (but I was also bed ridden the first two weeks....)  Also, I couldn't do 4 weeks of pureed. I was basically eating canned chicken and tuna and was so sick of it!  I knew some doctors had a 2 week liquid and 2 week pureed so 3.5 weeks in, I said fuck it and did soft foods.  I tested things, and everything seemed to go down OK.  So don't get too too hard on him at the end of the 4 weeks :) 

• lyndausvi said:
    Hello!

Work is finally done for the season.   Who knows when the summer job starts, I'm guessing sometime in late May?  

I did get a good bonus, which was nice.  Over the weekend I went to Moab with some co-workers.  It was a good time.     One coworker/hiking buddy talked me into doing a 5k in a few weeks.  I hate running and haven't in a long time.  I was pretty happy to run 3.5 miles yesterday without stopping.  Even ran 11 min mile.   Not bad right?

@short+sassy - gotta love Jazz Fest.  I have 2 friends who are working a crawfish booth down there.  It's one of their first time in NOLA.  I hope he survives   :tongue:

Glad to hear the season went well for you.  Continued good wishes to your DH.  Hopefully he doesn't try to push things too fast and gets himself sick.

I actually live super close to Jazz Fest.  I can hear one of the stages from my front porch!  I've heard food vendors make a killing at JF.  Good luck to your friends.  I hope they survive working long days and drinking long nights, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy honest, non-snarky questions. 

With a hostel, I'd infer that anyone who needs or desires to stay in a hostel probably wouldn't have a car...? I associate hostels with young adults traveling, not exactly a set renting cars while they travel. Are you more concerned with transients or noise?

And, with zoning, why is a liquor store across from a park such a concern? In my neighborhood, there's a Mariano's one city block from a K-8 school. Binny's wanted to locate itself directly across from the school. Binny's is much cheaper than Mariano's and the alderman struck it down, claiming that 100% of the ward didn't agree to it (and by the way, that guy later started to run for governor- like his 100% logic would ever work at that level, but that's another story). In my opinion someone probably gave him a buttload of money to prevent the direct competition with Mariano's. In cities, stuff has to go somewhere, and getting to a park or elementary school requires walking past tons of businesses anyway so I've never quite understood the big deal here. 

Fun fact, Amsterdam's red light district is next to a cathedral and even has a daycare right in the middle. People over there don't seem to be as NIMBY-ish as Americans. 

• @short+sassy honest, non-snarky questions. 

With a hostel, I'd infer that anyone who needs or desires to stay in a hostel probably wouldn't have a car...? I associate hostels with young adults traveling, not exactly a set renting cars while they travel. Are you more concerned with transients or noise?

And, with zoning, why is a liquor store across from a park such a concern? In my neighborhood, there's a Mariano's one city block from a K-8 school. Binny's wanted to locate itself directly across from the school. Binny's is much cheaper than Mariano's and the alderman struck it down, claiming that 100% of the ward didn't agree to it (and by the way, that guy later started to run for governor- like his 100% logic would ever work at that level, but that's another story). In my opinion someone probably gave him a buttload of money to prevent the direct competition with Mariano's. In cities, stuff has to go somewhere, and getting to a park or elementary school requires walking past tons of businesses anyway so I've never quite understood the big deal here. 

Fun fact, Amsterdam's red light district is next to a cathedral and even has a daycare right in the middle. People over there don't seem to be as NIMBY-ish as Americans. 

My main concern is the parking.  Some of the rooms would be shared bathrooms and some would have their own private bathroom.  It might be less cars than a typical motel, ie backpacking kids hitching/biking/riding the bus into town, but I think it would still be a lot of cars coming in for a property that was not meant for that.  I'm not close enough to this property for extra noise to bother me.  Though, other residential homes would be.  It's on a main street with a lot of businesses, but the entire surrounding area is residential and there aren't any hotels/motels here.

Where I live, places selling liquor can't be within so many yards of schools or parks.  That particular store was originally allowed to do so because they were "grandfathered" in.  I can't speak for other areas, but they were actually a huge problem in ours.  It's a fairly safe, quiet residential neighborhood.  But not around that store.  People would buy liquor.  Go across the street to the park, hang out, and get wasted.  Drug deals were going on at that corner.

But, because they didn't maintain their building very well, the back half of the property was blown down in a major storm.  The owners totally razed the building and rebuilt.  For those months after the store closed, I couldn't believe how fast things improved.  Literally, overnight, all the crime problems at that corner and stumbling drunks disappeared.  People started taking their kids to the playground again, which is who that park is for in the first place!

They wanted to open back up under their same "grandfathered" liquor license.  And that was what the neighborhood successfully fought against.  Keeping their liquor license in a place where any "new" business would never be allowed anymore to get one.  They could have reopened and just not sold liquor, but they chose not to.  This was a 2-3 years ago and that new building is still just sitting there vacant.  Not sure why they haven't sold it or leased it to a different business.  Seems like a big waste of money.  But not my circus, lol.

As an aside, it's a really sweet park!  It takes up an entire block.  Has a basketball court, a community pool, and a playground.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:

GL to the hubs. I will admit, the first 6 weeks of this thing sucks. And pureed was harder for me than the liquid diet (but I was also bed ridden the first two weeks....)  Also, I couldn't do 4 weeks of pureed. I was basically eating canned chicken and tuna and was so sick of it!  I knew some doctors had a 2 week liquid and 2 week pureed so 3.5 weeks in, I said fuck it and did soft foods.  I tested things, and everything seemed to go down OK.  So don't get too too hard on him at the end of the 4 weeks :) 
    DH is 2.5 weeks post op.  So I think it's a little fast.   Especially since afterwards he was complaining about how his stomach hurt.

He dialed it back yesterday and he is feeling better.  Got enough water and protein in.  Hoping today will be the same.  Then maybe by the weekend or early next week he can start soft foods (which would be 3-3.5 weeks post op.)

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    DH is 2.5 weeks post op.  So I think it's a little fast.   Especially since afterwards he was complaining about how his stomach hurt.

He dialed it back yesterday and he is feeling better.  Got enough water and protein in.  Hoping today will be the same.  Then maybe by the weekend or early next week he can start soft foods (which would be 3-3.5 weeks post op.)
    How was DH after his operation? I met someone who had surgery on a Monday, back to school on Wednesday and doing social events on Friday. I was shocked. I was literally bed ridden for 2 weeks and didn't even THINK of leaving the house.  And I never thought of myself to be a wimp.

• lyndausvi said:

How was DH after his operation? I met someone who had surgery on a Monday, back to school on Wednesday and doing social events on Friday. I was shocked. I was literally bed ridden for 2 weeks and didn't even THINK of leaving the house.  And I never thought of myself to be a wimp.
    He had to stay in Denver for a week, but I had to go back to finish up the season at work. So he was by himself for those 5 days.

He was walking the mall and other shops and doing some online classes.  He did take naps and was tired.  But mostly I think he was bored.    He went back to work 11 days post-op.