Wedding Woes

LW and her sister sound like they're super dramatic.

Dear Prudence,
My two sisters and I each have one daughter and several sons. The girls grew up together—more like sisters than cousins. That relationship has been especially important to my daughter, “May,” who can be shy and doesn’t have loads of friends. She adores her cousins. The older cousin, “April,” has a very jealous nature. She’s well-known for it, and everyone, including April, laughs it off as a quirky, charming flaw. Both my nieces are lovely, but my daughter is beautiful. She’s also a professional athlete. April has always been insecure about this. She doesn’t like to take photos beside my daughter and has thrown tantrums when she sees group photos of them on social media. In recent years, she’s avoided being seen in public with May.

April is getting married in the autumn. We were disappointed but not surprised when she didn’t choose my daughter as a bridesmaid. She asked her other younger cousin, “June,” and two friends instead. We want April to have the happiest, most stress-free day possible. The problem is that April and her mother have felt the need to concoct a story about why she isn’t having May as her bridesmaid. When people who didn’t know them growing up ask, they simply say that April and May have never been that close. To family and friends, they say the girls had a huge falling out a few years ago and have never really made up. That’s completely untrue. They’ve never exchanged a cross word. June and her mother told us about this but are both quite timid and don’t want to call April out on it. May is devastated. She feels she is being written out of their shared history and like she has lost her two sisters. May doesn’t want me to say anything to my sister and April, but I feel really angry about it. I think it’s time we stopped pandering to April’s petty insecurities. Is this worth bringing up, or should I just drop it?
—Poor Cinderella

Re: LW and her sister sound like they're super dramatic.

• I can understand why the LW and May are upset but, wow, they really need to let it go.

And then secretly relish, passive-aggressively calling them liars if something is said directly to them.  Like (with a confused look), "April said that she and May had a falling out a few years ago?  Hmmm, that's so odd.  Nothing like that has every happened between them."

Exactly, If my daughter was asking me to play nice then I wouldn't say anything until someone said something directly to me, but then I wouldn't lie.

In my family I would have called my sister and my niece out long ago on their bullshit and told my niece to get a damn grip.  Therapy Boo, it's a thing.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• kerbohl said:
    The girl has such severe body issues that she refuses to stand next to her attractive cousin?  And they let her go to adulthood without anyone saying something to her to reassure her that beauty doesn't matter?  And also point out that she's being very judgey to her cousin based on her looks?  My mom's side of the family look like models, and I look like my dad's side. If I didn't want to be photographed with my model-like cousins, I'm sure my mom would pull me aside and reassure me that I look fine the way I am.  At this point, I second therapy.

Oh man I didn't even think of that! You're so right!

My best friend growing up was gorgeous. She could have been a child model. Huge blue eyes, long very blonde hair, petite, everything I wasn't. I'm pretty sure I was 5'6", 130 lbs. and had glasses and acne by the time I was 9. I was so insecure then (and still am) but you're absolutely right - my mom would have done something if it had gotten to the point where I would exclude her and/or not want to the photographed with her because of my insecurities.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My guess is they're from a type of situation where Weddings are a social/society type event of the who's who (not judging, just that's another in the series of girls on girls and boys on boys - even sides, matchy matchy, etc.) that BMs picked based on criteria not closeness of relationships.  It's the "Dumper vs. dumpee" where one person perceives and considers the relationship closer than the other person does then is shocked when they discover nope - not that close at all.  It's a part of becoming an adult to recognize "she's just not that into you!"...  

What we'd all likely say here... 1) Mom - stay out of it!  2) May - consider it a blessing/savings on all ends to not be a BM, go pick out a great toaster from their registry after you have the invitation to the wedding in-hand, and if you want to spend that money that you would to be a BM, buy yourself a weekend vacation with your Mom where you go have a cupcake & beverage to let it go!  Enjoy being a guest at your cousins wedding! (presuming you're invited!)
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2018
    kerbohl said:
    The girl has such severe body issues that she refuses to stand next to her attractive cousin?  And they let her go to adulthood without anyone saying something to her to reassure her that beauty doesn't matter?  And also point out that she's being very judgey to her cousin based on her looks?  My mom's side of the family look like models, and I look like my dad's side. If I didn't want to be photographed with my model-like cousins, I'm sure my mom would pull me aside and reassure me that I look fine the way I am.  At this point, I second therapy.

My best friend growing up was gorgeous. She could have been a child model. Huge blue eyes, long very blonde hair, petite, everything I wasn't. I'm pretty sure I was 5'6", 130 lbs. and had glasses and acne by the time I was 9. I was so insecure then (and still am) but you're absolutely right - my mom would have done something if it had gotten to the point where I would exclude her and/or not want to the photographed with her because of my insecurities.

All very true.  Except it is the other daughter (the cousin) who supposedly has these severe beauty image issues.

So, although it might be 100% true, a conversation of the LW to her sister that is essentially "your daughter needs therapy because she won't be in pictures with my SO much more beautiful daughter" is probably not going to come across well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    kerbohl said:

All very true.  Except it is the other daughter (the cousin) who supposedly has these severe beauty image issues.

So, although it might be 100% true, a conversation of the LW to her sister that is essentially "your daughter needs therapy because she won't be in pictures with my SO much more beautiful daughter" is probably not going to come across well.

I meant that the mother of the cousin who had these problems should have pulled her aside - the other mother at this point shouldn't be involved.  Yes, saying "your daughter needs therapy" probably wouldn't get anywhere.  But the mother of the cousin must have noticed this, and at the very least might have thought something was up when she didn't want her as a bridesmaid now. Why didn't she say anything?  Is she okay with her daughter thinking she isn't as beautiful as her cousin?

• kerbohl said:
    kerbohl said:

I meant that the mother of the cousin who had these problems should have pulled her aside - the other mother at this point shouldn't be involved.  Yes, saying "your daughter needs therapy" probably wouldn't get anywhere.  But the mother of the cousin must have noticed this, and at the very least might have thought something was up when she didn't want her as a bridesmaid now. Why didn't she say anything?  Is she okay with her daughter thinking she isn't as beautiful as her cousin?
    Shit rolls downhill.

I'd guess the LW's sister has body image/general/jealousy issues as well, which is why she has allowed her daughter to grow up to act this way.

Some people really are just more attractive than others, that's life.  I am not as attractive as a lot of women, but that's ok.  And attractiveness is largely subjective anyways.

The LW's daughter truly may be more attractive than her cousin.  But her cousin should have grown to accept that, realize her own attractiveness, and moved on.

When this crap started when they were kids and everyone was as close as LW claims, then LW should have pulled her own sister aside and had a conversation about it, in the sense that she was observing some concerning patterns of behavior and thoughts coming from her niece and she was concerned for her.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Why did she signed the letter, "Poor Cinderella"?  That is just....odd to me and it seriously makes no sense.

I am just wondering what Mom wants done in this situation.  Would confronting her sister to say that they should stop pandering to Bride to Be's insecurities fix anything?  There's no way in H-E-double-L.  The ship for addressing the underlying issues passed long ago. Now everyone gets to be adults and her beautiful athletic daughter can decide how close she wants to remain with her adult cousin.

• I'm sure it's hard for LW to see her daughter hurting, but May is an adult and needs to be allowed to take the lead on how to handle this situation. LW cannot do it for her. If May has decided not to say anything to April and has asked LW to keep quiet as well, then LW needs to respect that. If May is as upset as her mother thinks, I bet she's going to need some time to decide if she wants to let it go and stay close with her cousin or start keeping her distance (though I can't help wondering if April and May are really as close as LW thinks). 

The reality is that nobody gets to choose the bridesmaids except the bride, even if their reasons for including or excluding certain people don't sound so good to the rest of us. As sad as it is that April's insecurity has gone unchecked for so long, I don't think this is the time to try and fix it. No matter how concerned any of her family members may be, and how confused they are by her excluding May from her WP, there is no way April won't see it as their trying to control her wedding. And that will ultimately make things worse.
  • I'm sure it's hard for LW to see her daughter hurting, but May is an adult and needs to be allowed to take the lead on how to handle this situation. LW cannot do it for her. If May has decided not to say anything to April and has asked LW to keep quiet as well, then LW needs to respect that. If May is as upset as her mother thinks, I bet she's going to need some time to decide if she wants to let it go and stay close with her cousin or start keeping her distance (though I can't help wondering if April and May are really as close as LW thinks). 

The reality is that nobody gets to choose the bridesmaids except the bride, even if their reasons for including or excluding certain people don't sound so good to the rest of us. As sad as it is that April's insecurity has gone unchecked for so long, I don't think this is the time to try and fix it. No matter how concerned any of her family members may be, and how confused they are by her excluding May from her WP, there is no way April won't see it as their trying to control her wedding. And that will ultimately make things worse.

Agreed!  I think it's pretty common for cousins to sometimes be much closer as children than they are as adults.

I also think some of the problem is May's insecurity.  The LW talks about that May is shy and doesn't have "loads of friends".  I could see where that might make May put a stronger importance/attachment to the friendship with April, than April does.

We're also only getting the LW's potentially skewed POV.  At least for BM choices, it may not have anything to do with "jealousy".  April probably just has closer friendships with the people she chose.  Though I do realize that more of the hurt is coming from April and her mom supposedly telling fake stories.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Am I the only one who thinks there might be more to the April-May story that LW doesn't know? Maybe May didn't tell her mom, since she's a drama llama?

May is an adult, or close enough. Let her handle her own relationships and stay out of it, LW!
  • Am I the only one who thinks there might be more to the April-May story that LW doesn't know? Maybe May didn't tell her mom, since she's a drama llama?

May is an adult, or close enough. Let her handle her own relationships and stay out of it, LW!
    All of this.  Also, I wonder if they're really that close, as another poster asked (and if LW's fawning over her daughters beauty has something to do with it).