Wedding Woes

Prudie's sarcastic response pisses me off.

Dear Prudence,
We have a house in a rural area where for years we had only one option for broadband internet that was slow and unreliable. Not long ago, the local phone monopoly ran fiber to our area, but we and our immediate neighbors were shut out because one neighbor would not grant an easement to run 20 feet of cable under a strip of his land that borders the road. We all pleaded with him and offered to compensate him, to no avail. (He’s been unreasonable about other property issues in the past.) My husband and I managed to set up a private network for our neighbors, at considerable expense, without the easement. Shortly thereafter, the old broadband option shut down. Now the cantankerous neighbor has asked if he can hook up to our private network. I say no way. My husband says the guy’s a harmless old coot, and there’s no point in punishing him. Another neighbor suggested we should let him on if he agrees to pay us the entire cost of setting up the network, since it was his intransigence that made us incur the cost. Your thoughts?
—Wireless In The Woods

Re: Prudie's sarcastic response pisses me off.

• Oh, this is The Absolute Dream for someone who nurses grudges or entertains fantasies of revenge. This is The Count of Monte Cristo for petty neighborhood retribution. What delightful power you must be feeling! It would be awfully big of you to allow him to share your network, and it would enable you to feel deliciously magnanimous for days on end. It would also be perfectly reasonable of you to say “No,” since he’d declined to join with all of you previously, and leave it at that.

The only option I think you shouldn’t indulge in is “Sure … if you’re willing to pay all of our setup costs, since it was your fault we had to do this in the first place.” As satisfying as that might be in your fantasies, there’s no real chance he’d take you up on it. I think you know that, which means the only reason you’d say it is for the satisfaction of making him feel embarrassed. He doesn’t sound like the type to feel embarrassed, so you wouldn’t get the satisfaction. Either let him join or don’t, but don’t waste your own time by making an offer you know is going to get refused.

• I disagree with Prudie; I think he should buy into the network, set-up costs and recurring payments, if he wants to use it. I don't think he should fund the entire thing, but he should pay a fair share. 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2018
    I guess I'm not understanding what's sarcastic about it?

I disagree with Prudie. I think it'd be perfectly valid to sit down with him and say, "look, we tried to do this for cheap, but we couldn't because of you. You can join, but only for $x." X being, depending on how they're feeling, being the total cost divided by the number of neighbors plus him or the total cost minus the cost if he'd allowed them over his land. 

And if he says no, like Prudie thinks he will, who cares? If they just flat out say no or he says no to paying, they're still in the exact same situation. Maybe with a slightly more fraud neighbor relationship, which it sounds like they already have, so again, who cares?
  • Yeah, I'm with you, mrsconn. That first paragraph makes me stabby.

Call me petty, but it would be a cold day in hell that I'd let that guy in on my network. NOPE.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Yeah, Prudie's answer sucks.

I'm not sure I would go the route of making him pay for the whole network set-up, but he would definitely need to pay MORE for his share than any of the other neighbors did.

Because, exactly.  If he hadn't been such a jerk and happy to screw over the whole neighborhood to begin with, this situation wouldn't have happened.

What goes around, comes around.  If he won't play nice, they won't play nice.  I supposed vengeance is a part of that.  But it is also a hallmark of how society works.  As in, people don't get rewarded for thwarting the group.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Her first paragraph is just confusing.  What is she trying to achieve there?

• Ro041 said:
    Her first paragraph is just confusing.  What is she trying to achieve there?

I think it is meant to be read with heavy sarcasm.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited May 2018
    I'd probably lean towards forgiveness and hope for change, but LW says that the person has been an issue in the past.  I wouldn't let them in.  Homeowner can pay the damn money to set up the private network copy for themselves that they denied to the entire rest of the neighborhood over a damn buried cable.

I would probably offer to help the homeowner though.  "Nope, you can't get in on mine, but let me show you how to do it.  And how much it will be.  and now don't you WISH YOU HAD GIVEN IT UP FOR A BURIED CABLE?!"  Yep, I'd relish it.
  • ei34ei34 member
    Yeah Prudie’s sarcasm annoys me as much as the cranky neighbor.  I’d let him into the network but he’d have to reimburse me for the cost of installation,
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    @short+sassy - yeah, but like, why?  It's not like that level of weird sarcasm is appropriate in this situation....it's just all so confusing and kind of makes it impossible to give her other points any credit.

• Ro041Ro041 member
    Also, who told the neighborhood jerk about the network anyway?

• Honestly, if there's been other issues with this guy in the past, I wouldn't let him on, even if he offered to pay for the whole thing. The network you have now is working, the expense has been spent. Why mess up a good thing and why be more involved with dramatic neighbor than you need to be?

"Sorry X, we've already got the network all set up and we're not making any changes."
  • Um, why shouldn’t the asshole neighbor have to buy in just like everyone else? There was a fucking FREE option for everyone and he fucked it up. I can only imagine how much money it cost to set up a private line (actually I can—this is in FI’s line of work). He needs to contribute. I’d be tempted to tell him it’s a larger portion too so the neighbors could recoup some of the costs. And then if he didn’t want to spend the money, oh well dude, you have no one to blame but yourself. Enjoy your slow shitty internet. 

• Does Prudie live in a more metropolitan area where she doesn't GET that this was a big cost LW had to eat??

Maybe where Prudie lives money grows on trees and neighbors only tell about fog poop on the lawn 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    I think it is fine to ask him to buy in his share of the set up costs, but not the whole thing. What I wonder though is let's say he kicked the bucket and a new person moves in. Would they charge new person set up fees to join? At what point do those using it deal with the initial costs and then just pay the ongoing fee? 
  • Not petty at all - I'd suggest he call the mega-monopoly about getting that line installed that he originally rejected because the network is already set up and it'll be too much to get him added.  His past behavior indicates that when there's a problem with the private network he's going to be a PITA to deal with and it'll be on them to deal with him yet again, NOPE!
  • Not petty at all - I'd suggest he call the mega-monopoly about getting that line installed that he originally rejected because the network is already set up and it'll be too much to get him added.  His past behavior indicates that when there's a problem with the private network he's going to be a PITA to deal with and it'll be on them to deal with him yet again, NOPE!
  • I'm with you gals, I think Prudie missed the mark with his response on this one.

He also missed the mark on a wedding related question about a MOB rescinding the "Plus one" invitation for her niece. . . who really has a longterm BF and not a Plus One.

Prudie kinda sucks.
    Lately I think that Prudie's advice somewhere mark-adjacent.  He doesn't know etiquette and on this doesn't think of the concept that this isn't about being nice - it's business.
  • I would let the neighbour know that you are frustrated that he wouldn't play ball initially and now that he is impacted, wants to join. I would try and be neighbourly by saying he could join but then talking with rest of neighbours to decide a fair rate. He won't live forever and perhaps putting some effort into being nice might be rewarded with better neighbours in the future.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Prudie's sarcasm bothers me too. It's uncalled for. She could have said any of the options of "Yes, I think you should give him another chance" or "No, I don't think you owe him entry into your network. You can tell him no or charge him for his fair share of the costs" without all the snark in that first paragraph.