Registry and Gift Forum

Registering at Multiple Places

My fiance (I don't know all the abbreviations yet) and I did our registering over the weekend at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. My mom said she thinks we should also register at Target in case people want to buy us things but can't afford BB&B's prices. My question is, if we do register at both places, is it rude to request gift receipts along with the gifts? I'm worried about ending up with two of things when we only need one and not being able to return them so our guests waste their money. Or, if we put that we're registered at two places, will people just assume they need to provide gift receipts?

Sorry if this is actually an etiquette question- I couldn't decide where I should post it.

Re: Registering at Multiple Places

• My fiance (I don't know all the abbreviations yet) and I did our registering over the weekend at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. My mom said she thinks we should also register at Target in case people want to buy us things but can't afford BB&B's prices. My question is, if we do register at both places, is it rude to request gift receipts along with the gifts? I'm worried about ending up with two of things when we only need one and not being able to return them so our guests waste their money. Or, if we put that we're registered at two places, will people just assume they need to provide gift receipts?

Sorry if this is actually an etiquette question- I couldn't decide where I should post it.

In my experience, Target was generally in the same price range as BB&B. If you do register somewhere else, don't register for the same items. But I really don't see how this is necessary. You'd have to register at like 7 different places "just in case" this one is having a sale or something is cheaper? Nope.

FWIW, if I want to buy a gift from the registry but find it cheaper elsewhere, I always definitely include a gift receipt in case there's duplicates.

I was pretty much thinking the same things, but I figured my mom has more experience in the wedding area than me so I was second-guessing myself. Thank you!
  • MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I haven't returned anything from my wedding, but when we had our son, we were able to return items on the registry to Target and BRU (I figure that BB&B would be similar) without a receipt without issue, so I wouldn't stress too much about it even if you happen to receive multiples of items. But yeah, just register for towels and BB&B and a comforter at Target (for example) if you really want to avoid the possibility.
  • If  you are registered somewhere, you don't normally need a receipt to exchange something. Often times the store will give you a gift card. I just exchanged somethings for DD at Buybuybaby without a receipt. Had no problem whatsoever.
  • I'm not sure if they improved but 10 years ago I avoided Target because their return policy was pretty strict regarding the price you'd get if you made a return for a registry item and they did a poor job managing duplicates.   I hope that has been an improvement but again, I'm a decade removed.

I will say that unless your'e registering for store-brand items I don't find that Target will price items lower than BB&B most of the time.   Your name brand products are going to be around the same cost but if you like their store brand plates vs. BB&B  or their towels, think about it.

BB&B and that coupon can be really enticing for a shopper too!

I will say that if you're diligent at registry management I don't think it's all that bad to have some duplicates.   We had our China on the BB&B and the Macy's registry and just reduced as we saw place settings get purchased.   Essentially if you want more than one of one item anyway I don't see the harm in doubling up.    
  • I just wouldn’t register for the same things at different stores. 
  • We had registries at 3 stores: BBB, Kohl's & Williams Sonoma. We picked BBB & Kohl's because of their return/exchange policies and because they always have coupons. We actually did put similar items on multiple registries, but only got a couple "duplicates," (same type of item but not same exact) which both BBB & Williams Sonoma gave us store credit for without any issues. One of the reasons we didn't choose Target was because I had heard similar things to @banana468 about their return policy from friends who recently had gotten married.
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I'm just going to stick with BB&B. If anyone wants to give us something but can't find anything on the registry they want to buy, they can always do cash or gift cards. Plus, I was thinking the same thing about all the coupons they offer being helpful.