Wedding Woes

Monday Funday

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited June 2018 in Wedding Woes
Oh...I'm a day off?

Weekend was blah.  Saturday I got my windshield replaced.  Sunday I saw "book club" and took advantage of an Omaha Steak 50% sale, which ended up being mucho expensive anyway.  And today I'm just avoiding work because it doesn't seem like a whole lotta fun right now.   as opposed to the times when it does.... Oh, I did sign up for two meet up groups.  One is a bigger general socialite club and the other is a smaller one that is for strong women....it says 'high earners' which I don't think I am, but if the event is right, I may put money down for it.  I have higher hopes for that one since the meet ups look smaller and less intimidating. 
edit: for words

How was everyone's weekend?

Re: Monday Funday

• I had a pretty good weekend! Friday I was off for the new A/C installation so I got a lot done around the house. Saturday my in-laws arrived and we actually had a really good time. MIL and I ended up sharing giant margaritas and getting pretty drunk together. LOL we had fun!

Yesterday was the walk for pancreatic cancer fundraising that I had a team for. It was an awesome day. We met our goal and made a lot of money for PanCAN, it was a beautiful day and we just had a good time. 

H is home today with MIL & stepFIL and they're going to meet me for lunch before flying home. 

Looking forward to a quiet week (WITH AIR CONDITIONING!) before I go to the lake next weekend.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I had a pretty good weekend! Friday I was off for the new A/C installation so I got a lot done around the house. Saturday my in-laws arrived and we actually had a really good time. MIL and I ended up sharing giant margaritas and getting pretty drunk together. LOL we had fun!

Yesterday was the walk for pancreatic cancer fundraising that I had a team for. It was an awesome day. We met our goal and made a lot of money for PanCAN, it was a beautiful day and we just had a good time. 

H is home today with MIL & stepFIL and they're going to meet me for lunch before flying home. 

Looking forward to a quiet week (WITH AIR CONDITIONING!) before I go to the lake next weekend.
    a/c is the key to a happy household.  We were out of it for over a week this year, and both H and i were grumpy.  Like, really really grumpy.

• Looking forward to a quiet week (WITH AIR CONDITIONING!) before I go to the lake next weekend.
    a/c is the key to a happy household.  We were out of it for over a week this year, and both H and i were grumpy.  Like, really really grumpy.
    Oh yeah. I'd been hoping I'd been becoming less of an inside snob but last week proved that to be incorrect. I was all whiny and pissy and shit. Growing up, we didn't have air until I was like 12 or 13 so I feel like I should be able to handle it better but nope! LOL 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    No A/C would make me grumpy too. Although paying for new A/C also makes me grumpy as we had new AC and furnace installed a couple months ago. 
  • It was a good weekend.  Friday night was just us hanging out with a yummy dinner and drinks.  We were supposed to go home to wine & tub movie, but we got into a bit of a tiff.  I suppose we'll always be navigating the balance between's K's need for snuggles and my need for some space.  Being right after Pride makes it worse for both of us, b/c they've missed me and I'm still feeling super introverted.

Saturday, K was off to a roller derby game.  I watched John Wick 2 (blah and I adore the first one) and Molly's Game (excellent movie), while drinking wine.  A friend and I went to tacos for dinner, then out to the show.  I was home by midnight and crashed out.  Yesterday I putted around the place, cleaning and organizing and generally trying to return life to normal.  I'm enjoying being dull for awhile.
  • We went to visit FI’s parents at the cabin this weekend with FSIL and FBIL. When we walked in I was so worried because it was like 85 degrees inside the cabin and I knew I’d never be able to sleep. Then FFIL brought out a window AC unit that the previous owners had left behind. It saved us. Overall we had a good weekend though. We saw Jurassic World on Friday. I was not impressed. 

I’m a little stressed out. A faculty member is coming to do a site visit and I don’t feel prepared. She asked yesterday afternoon so I basically had zero prep time. This week is the second hump I have to get over before I can relax for a second...before panicking about finals. But after this week I have the 4th of July and San Diego to look forward to. And then Yosemite! I can’t wait. 

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2018
    DirecTV Now is just not working out for us. Not sure what is up but we have a terrible time with shows/channels not showing up, the guide freezing all the time, things timing out etc. Good thing we didn't cancel real DirecTV yet. But H went to cancel and bc he prepaid 3 months and they were sending an AppleTV they won't refund. We haven't received the Apple TV and don't want it, so i 't understand. Apparently this is a big issue with the service based on my google search and people are having to complain to the FCC to get refunds. Ugh. 
  • Bad day yesterday.

It started off all right when I volunteered with some friends at the Houston Food Bank.

Later my parents invited me to their house for dinner and my mom kept making snide remarks to me about my current lack of employment and money. She tried talking to me about her favorite crafting shit, only to come back with "That's not something you need to waste your money on" when I said I was interested on something.

Then she kept bitching about how her great-nephew just got his first job: "If he can get hired, why can't you?" Gee, Mom, because he just graduated from high school and it's a starter job, whereas I have to pay for rent, groceries, insurance, utilities and gasoline?

Then she tells me to get a job "even if you don't like it just so you can keep looking." I've tried that too, but my former employers were so anal about time that they clocked you and allowed for lunch only during one specific hour of the day with no fucking flexibility whatsoever and I had no available time I could take off, and even got into trouble when an interview ran too long because a recruiter insisted on testing me.  (She had only one job to recommend me for and I never got to interview for it.) Another potential employer offered me a choice of interview times, none of which worked for me, and when I told them that my current employer did not allow the flexibility to interview at any of those times, the only response I got was that they'd "circle back." Never heard from them again. Then my mother keeps throwing around the word "try" and I decide to cut things short and go home.

I unfortunately probably need help to pay my rent again in a few days. I haven't heard anything from any company except "You are not a good fit" after taking their online assessments. 

My parents did invite me to their house for the Fourth of July, but I'm not going to go.

• Looking forward to a quiet week (WITH AIR CONDITIONING!) before I go to the lake next weekend.
    Oh yeah. I'd been hoping I'd been becoming less of an inside snob but last week proved that to be incorrect. I was all whiny and pissy and shit. Growing up, we didn't have air until I was like 12 or 13 so I feel like I should be able to handle it better but nope! LOL 

I didn't have a/c at all growing up, but that was in coastal CA.  Then my mom had it added years after I moved out, lol.  I don't remember it being too hot, usually.  Though we would blow fans.  She added it years after I moved out.

Speaking of temps., we had a heat advisory on Sun.  The "feels like" temp. was 105-109.  Every year I laugh at the "summer begins" date.  Because, by then, it has been well into the '90s every day for almost two months.

I hate it here, so much in the summer.  I become like a mole.  Avoiding the outside.  Darting from a/c to a/c, when I'm forced to briefly go outside. 

I need to be retired already, just so I can fly north for the summer.  A sunbird.  Like the opposite of a snowbird, lol.

As such, no, I didn't do anything this weekend except relax and feel curmudgeony.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I’m sorry Jen. I hope things come around soon. 

Weekend was good. Saturday I did a run and kids played outside all day. Saturday night dh and 6let went to a professional lacrosse game. The other 2 and picked up a pizza and hit the pool until bedtime. 

Sunday we took the kids hiking. They did 3 trails,saw lots of great stuff, and just had fun in nature. 

This is week is vacation bible school. The older 2 go from 9-2;30 and max goes 9–11. It’s a pain in the butt because a road is closed. Today someone said “how about I bring max home everyday?”  She answered a prayer I didn’t even ask!  
  • @Jen4948, I'm sorry to hear your mom is getting on your case.  I know that doesn't help when things have already been so hard.  Do you all have a Robert Half office in Houston?  They're a nationwide employment agency that has temp. and perm. placements, though it seems like most of their stuff is temp.-perm. or perm.  They primarily place only accounting/finance types of positions.  Though some offices will also have an IT and/or legal division.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Weekend was crazy!  Saturday morning we had my aunt's funeral.  It was a lovely send off for my 104 year old aunt!  She was loved by many and will be missed!

Sunday was the wedding.  It was H's former business partner's son.  The wedding was really nice.  The couple actually met at church performing for a 50s fundraiser where they sang Grease songs as Danny and Sandy.  So the pastor mentioned that in the homily where the Groom sang "I've got chills and their multiplin'" and the Bride sang "You better shape up cause I need a man!".  It was cute.  They played a bunch of different Grease songs at the reception and they kept singing them to each other.  They were absolutely adorable!  Two things stand out.  The dreaded gap of an hour between ceremony and reception.  And the MOH had a 3 page speech!  People slowly started sitting down while it was going on.  It was one of those speeches that are really only funny to the Bride and the MOH, maybe the bride's parents too.  And as the DJ went to call up the BM for his toast, he called out the MOH for her long ass toast!  "Everyone can have a seat for this one!  Oh look the BM only has one page written!"  The food was amazing!

• I'm sorry Jen.  I wish you had more supportive people, IRL. 

I like S+S's suggestion of looking into Robert Half.  I see their legal postings frequently.

Is there anything else you are interested in?  Maybe a change in career scenery would be good for you.  Is there anything else that you are interested in?

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    Thanks everyone.

I have looked into Robert Half and various other temp and recruiting firms around. I've applied for jobs they offer in various areas and I'm waiting to hear back.
  • Weekend was crazy!  Saturday morning we had my aunt's funeral.  It was a lovely send off for my 104 year old aunt!  She was loved by many and will be missed!

Sunday was the wedding.  It was H's former business partner's son.  The wedding was really nice.  The couple actually met at church performing for a 50s fundraiser where they sang Grease songs as Danny and Sandy.  So the pastor mentioned that in the homily where the Groom sang "I've got chills and their multiplin'" and the Bride sang "You better shape up cause I need a man!".  It was cute.  They played a bunch of different Grease songs at the reception and they kept singing them to each other.  They were absolutely adorable!  Two things stand out.  The dreaded gap of an hour between ceremony and reception.  And the MOH had a 3 page speech!  People slowly started sitting down while it was going on.  It was one of those speeches that are really only funny to the Bride and the MOH, maybe the bride's parents too.  And as the DJ went to call up the BM for his toast, he called out the MOH for her long ass toast!  "Everyone can have a seat for this one!  Oh look the BM only has one page written!"  The food was amazing!

Who does that?!? No one's that important.  MOH's 15 minutes are up now!

Weekend was good & busy.

Saturday DH met his parents at their new place and then they came over for lunch.  DH and FIL worked at the new digs shampooing carpets and changing locks and MIL napped at our place.   Her oral surgery went well but the pain killers made her drowsy so it was fine that she chilled out while DS napped and we had a movie on.   I was able to get work done.

Sunday I took the kids to church and DH went back to the new place to help unload the truck.    I stopped by with the kids but kept the visit short since two kids under the age of 8 don't exactly help when heavy items are coming off of a U Haul.

I weeded a flower bed and planted some impatiens so the backyard is looking better.   The weather here wasn't great (rainy Saturday and muggy yesterday) so in all it was a decent use of time. 

Hope you get it! The walk sounds great. I've always liked those.

There was a Pride celebration in Houston this weekend but I wasn't feeling well and couldn't go. A good friend of mine did though and it looks like, based on her Facebook photos, that she and friends of hers had a terrific time.
  • 6fsn said:
    I’m sorry Jen. I hope things come around soon. 

Weekend was good. Saturday I did a run and kids played outside all day. Saturday night dh and 6let went to a professional lacrosse game. The other 2 and picked up a pizza and hit the pool until bedtime. 

Sunday we took the kids hiking. They did 3 trails,saw lots of great stuff, and just had fun in nature. 

This is week is vacation bible school. The older 2 go from 9-2;30 and max goes 9–11. It’s a pain in the butt because a road is closed. Today someone said “how about I bring max home everyday?”  She answered a prayer I didn’t even ask!  

That's so awesome!
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018
    @VarunaTT, I wanted to see Molly's Game in theatres but missed the chance.  I will look into that.
    @Jen4948, that is so annoying.  It is very hard to find a job while having one, yes.  Especially if your'e new and don't have time off! 
    @short+sassy, sunbird.  Yes, I can stand North's summers and West coast/Southern winters and that would be perfect for me too.  I need to win the lottery and own two places for that very reason.  H likes the cold, so he doesn't like my master plan of avoiding snow and the cold.
    @oliveoilsmom, I saw a few weddings being posted on facebook yesterday. Amazing food is what makes it so memorable.  Food and the cake.  Maybe the dress, but I usually forget about that after the wedding is over.

• @VarunaTT, I wanted to see Molly's Game in theatres but missed the chance.  I will look into that.
    @Jen4948, that is so annoying.  It is very hard to find a job while having one, yes.  Especially if your'e new and don't have time off! 
    @short+sassy, sunbird.  Yes, I can stand North's summers and West coast/Southern winters and that would be perfect for me too.  I need to win the lottery and own two places for that very reason.  H likes the cold, so he doesn't like my master plan of avoiding snow and the cold.
    @oliveoilsmom, I saw a few weddings being posted on facebook yesterday. Amazing food is what makes it so memorable.  Food and the cake.  Maybe the dress, but I usually forget about that after the wedding is over.

My H is just the opposite!  He will start complaining about how cold it is when the weather is in the mid-high '60s.  And I'm looking at him like, "What is wrong with you?  The temp. is perfect."  But he doesn't mind heat into the high '80s.

I don't want to live in cold/snow.  But would visit it more often on vacation, if he liked it better.

Rochester, NY and PA keep calling my name for real estate investing.  The deals are so phenomenal.  I keep day dreaming for when I can afford a self-supporting opportunity...and then keep one of the units for my "summer place" :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948 said:
    I had a pretty good weekend! Friday I was off for the new A/C installation so I got a lot done around the house. Saturday my in-laws arrived and we actually had a really good time. MIL and I ended up sharing giant margaritas and getting pretty drunk together. LOL we had fun!

Hope you get it! The walk sounds great. I've always liked those.

There was a Pride celebration in Houston this weekend but I wasn't feeling well and couldn't go. A good friend of mine did though and it looks like, based on her Facebook photos, that she and friends of hers had a terrific time.
    Thanks, Jen! 

Sunday was Chicago's Pride too. We took the train downtown and I was a little worried about step-FIL but he didn't say anything weird. 

I'm sorry you had a shit weekend and I hope it gets better soon.