Attire & Accessories Forum

I like my dress I don’t love it. Is this normal?

First off I’m a size 16 I went shopping at two plus size wedding dress stores. I didn’t want to go somewhere and see dress they didn’t have in my size. I ended up getting something different then what I originally wanted. I think part me was so overwhelmed with dress shopping I wanted it to be done and I was like this is nice it looks pretty I’m done. When I look at pictures I like my dress but I’m not in love with it. Did you have second thoughts after putting a deposit down?

Re: I like my dress I don’t love it. Is this normal?

• Honestly, I think the idea of falling in love with a dress is overrated. Some women do, sure, but it's fine to not to do so! The real question is: Do you feel beautiful in your dress? Does it flatter your shape and skin tone? Is it comfortable to wear or do you always feel like you have to tug on something to make it fit right? Can you sit, dance, and eat in it without feeling too constrained?

My daughter bought the fifth dress she tried. It's lovely and flattering, but I'm sure there were 20 other dresses out there that would also have been great. In the end, you just have to pick something without worrying about what you might have missed out on.

I really agree with this.  As long as you like the dress and feel beautiful, confident, and (relatively) comfortable in it, I'm sure it is a great dress for you.

It may not be the absolute, perfect one you could have found.  But what ever is, lol?  You'll feel gorgeous on your wedding day.  Your FI's eyes will light up when he first sees you.  Your guests will smile because you're a beautiful bride who is shining with happiness.

If you can't quite envision that, perhaps it isn't the right dress for you and it wouldn't hurt to go shopping again.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It may just be semantics- I liked a few of the dresses I tried.  I loved the one I bought. I wasn’t “in love” with it, I didn’t cry when I put it on, my mother preferred a different dress, etc.  There wasn’t a magical moment, I don’t think there typically is in real life.
    Ditto PP that the most important thing is that you feel happy, comfortable, and good about yourself in your dress.  If you do, I’d stick with it.  I’d you don’t...you wouldn’t be the first person to return a dress.  (Does your store accept returns?  I wouldn’t return your current dress unless you find a dress that does make you feel happy, confident etc.)  Good luck!
  • Honestly, I think the idea of falling in love with a dress is overrated. Some women do, sure, but it's fine to not to do so! The real question is: Do you feel beautiful in your dress? Does it flatter your shape and skin tone? Is it comfortable to wear or do you always feel like you have to tug on something to make it fit right? Can you sit, dance, and eat in it without feeling too constrained?

My daughter bought the fifth dress she tried. It's lovely and flattering, but I'm sure there were 20 other dresses out there that would also have been great. In the end, you just have to pick something without worrying about what you might have missed out on.
    Well said. I loved my dress, but I can't say I fell in love with it the second I saw it or got emotional about it. It was just that it was a really beautiful dress that looked great and was very "me." I did try on a few more after it but found I kept coming back to it, and that's how I knew it was the one I wanted. There was no big magical moment. Once I bought it, I moved on and stopped wondering what else was out there that I could have tried on. 

Also, keep in mind that not all women get super excited over clothes in general. If you're not someone who regularly goes OMG I LOVE THIS over more everyday attire, you might not get that way about a wedding dress either. Nothing wrong with that. 

• What @downtondiva said. If you don't regularly "OMG I LOVE THIS" over clothes, you likely won't feel that way about you wedding dress. I don't know if I looooooved my dress; I actually tried it on a couple times before making a decision. But it was the one I kept coming back to, fit nicely, and was comfortable. In my regular life, I give less than a shit about my clothes, so I wasn't expecting to cry over finding my wedding dress.

If you feel good in your dress, it's comfortable, and you're happy with it, yay! If you're having questions or doubts, would the shop let you try it on again to make sure? Would it make a difference to you if someone else came along, or maybe if a certain person didn't come? For me, it was helpful to have my mom there, less helpful to have MIL. When I went back to the store, only my mom came. 
  • Focus on the rest of the details... Headpiece/veil/shoes/flowers/jewelry, etc. instead.  The jewelry, shoes, and sometimes potentially the headpiece are all things you'll possibly wear again, focus on those.  

This popularized over the top reaction stuff is just that, the flip side though is you're better off to purchase a different dress than one you don't like and only purchased to "get it over with" if it is something that is going to interrupt your experience the day-of your wedding.  Ultimately it's up to you to decide.  It's a lot easier to do now than it would be after alterations or worse, if it's a strong enough feeling that you aren't going to enjoy looking at your wedding pictures after the fact.  

Most of all, trust your instincts and go with it.  I agree with ahoy - go try it on again with someone whose opinion and feedback you respect and has a similar fashion sense to you.