Wedding Woes

Thursday!

Anything exciting?

H is super excited about NIN, which is nice since I totally bombed his Christmas gift. 

If anyone watches The Kitchen on Food Network, I made a pasta with shrimp and corn and pesto that GZ made the other week and it was AWESOME. Totally recommend. H is eating the leftovers cold for lunch.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Thursday!

• No, @shessocold, but I should! I need new ideas. I have a freezer full of omaha meat and now I just need to find recipes to use them in.

I had a walmart order set for Monday, and didn't put tampons on it.  Got my period early, ran out, and now I have to walk into a store for them! womp. womp.  Why is my life so hard?

I was at the condo last night, and H bought a complete cable package for the place, while I'm to cheap and went basic on the house cable. We discovered "showtime beyond". It has really cheesy & stupid comedy, horror and sci fi movies.  I loved the two movies we saw back to back so now I may actually pull out the wallet and pay for this at the house. 

• edited July 2018
    Pam, I highly recommend Cooking Light. I have a few cookbooks and, after like a year of H stealing them from his allergists office, I just got a subscription to the magazine. There's really easy, really interesting food and I've never made a bad thing from them.

They have several cookbooks that are only a few ingredients, low fuss and made quickly. ETA - And they are always in the cheap section of Barnes & Noble for like $5. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • KA-BOOM!  That would be the sound of my August's entertainment budget getting ready to explode into smithereens.  Because, my TK friends, August is Restaurant Month (Coolinary) in New Orleans.

Dozens of (mostly) 3 and 4 star restaurants, all over town, offer good value Prix-Fixe lunch, dinner, and/or brunch offerings.  I was perusing the Coolinary website last night to check out which restaurants are participating.  Most of them also had their Prix Fixe offerings listed.

I could have had my month's dance card full before I had gotten out of the C's, lol.  As it was, I already called Commander's Palace and made a brunch reservation for August 19th.  They book up fast, no matter the time of year.  They are one of NOLA's most famous restaurants.  Emeril Lagasse had his first head chef job there.  I've been to all the other legendary restaurants in the city but have, somehow, never been to this one.  I'm excited to finally rectify that error, lol.

Coolinary month is such a great way to experience new restaurants and old favorites at a nice discount.  Typically a 3-course meal for the price of just an entrée.  So doesn't that mean I'm actually saving money?  ((I'm nodding yes)).

All right.  Back to more mundane things.  I dropped the new (used) truck off at Firestone for basic maintenance stuff this morning.  Front end alignment, balancing tires, and an oil change.  They're walking distance to my work, so at least that makes it really handy.

After I get off work and walk back to get my truck, I'm driving home to pick up my H and then we're off again.  There is a local real estate group we are members of and they are having their main, monthly meeting tonight.  We really enjoy going.  We find the material interesting and learn a lot.  It's also a great place for networking.  But it makes for a looonnnggg night.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm here.  Sorry.  Buried in work stuff.  

Going to look at Prudie here in a min. 
  • Whatever this cold/sinus/allergy thing is, I'm closing in on 2 weeks with it and I'm DONE.  It needs to go.

In other news, this made me finally make myself get a new primary care physician.  My doctor that I've had since I was 13 retired last year and I've just been reluctant to move forward.  But I have, so the appointment is in December b/c we have such a shortage of primary/internists in this damn city.

I have no other interesting news.  I have to give a speech tonight and it's going to be interesting with this voice that I have right now.
  • KA-BOOM!  That would be the sound of my August's entertainment budget getting ready to explode into smithereens.  Because, my TK friends, August is Restaurant Month (Coolinary) in New Orleans.

Dozens of (mostly) 3 and 4 star restaurants, all over town, offer good value Prix-Fixe lunch, dinner, and/or brunch offerings.  I was perusing the Coolinary website last night to check out which restaurants are participating.  Most of them also had their Prix Fixe offerings listed.

You made me google Coolinary Chicago, and nope.  We don't have that. I think it's just NOLA.  Dammit! But maybe that's a good thing since I have $0.00 right now.

You made me google Coolinary Chicago, and nope.  We don't have that. I think it's just NOLA.  Dammit! But maybe that's a good thing since I have $0.00 right now.

I found some other areas who have restaurant weeks.  But I think only NOLA calls it Coolinary...with two o's.  Which is a nod to why it is in August for us.  August is the most miserable month of the year here, because of the heat.  It's also the lowest month for tourism.  So, from a restaurant standpoint, it's a good event to advertise "get out of the heat and into the cool".  And they'll fill tables that would normally be empty ;).

Other areas seems to call it Culinary week(s) and/or Restaurant week(s).  Most places seem to have it for only a week or two.  And it isn't necessarily in August.

I found Restaurant Week for Chicago, but it already happened.  For you all, it's apparently around late Jan./early Feb.  They don't appear to have dates yet for 2019, but this was it's 11th year.  Here's a link:

https://www.choosechicago.com/restaurants/chicago-restaurant-week/

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    December V?!  That’s craziness. Dh hasn’t had a primary since we moved here. He’s going to be sol when he needs one. He does at least get annual
     blood work. 

Ssdd here- workout, work, swim lessons, cut the grass, lunch, pool time, soccer skills bed. 
     So darn ready for vacation!!!  My brother called yesterday to get my shopping list to stock the place before we get there.   Y’all we literally just need to roll up to a condo on the beach with some bathing suits. He’s providing everything down to the beach towels!!  Even better he’s rearranged some stuff to be able to spend 2 nights with us down there. 

I found some other areas who have restaurant weeks.  But I think only NOLA calls it Coolinary...with two o's.  Which is a nod to why it is in August for us.  August is the most miserable month of the year here, because of the heat.  It's also the lowest month for tourism.  So, from a restaurant standpoint, it's a good event to advertise "get out of the heat and into the cool".  And they'll fill tables that would normally be empty ;).

Other areas seems to call it Culinary week(s) and/or Restaurant week(s).  Most places seem to have it for only a week or two.  And it isn't necessarily in August.

I found Restaurant Week for Chicago, but it already happened.  For you all, it's apparently around late Jan./early Feb.  They don't appear to have dates yet for 2019, but this was it's 11th year.  Here's a link:

Yeah ours is restaurant week. We have at least two separate ones - in the city's downtown and in one of our "hip" little county municipalities. (There may be another somewhere else in the county that I never go/wouldn't be aware of.)
  • I found some other areas who have restaurant weeks.  But I think only NOLA calls it Coolinary...with two o's.  Which is a nod to why it is in August for us.  August is the most miserable month of the year here, because of the heat.  It's also the lowest month for tourism.  So, from a restaurant standpoint, it's a good event to advertise "get out of the heat and into the cool".  And they'll fill tables that would normally be empty ;).

SIB

Thanks! Maybe that's why I never paid attention/interest in it.  It's Chicago Chicago and not Chicagoland.  Nothing good reaches the suburbs! 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    Two more things: I volunteered to be the admin for 6let’s soccer team. I don’t really know what that means, but I get a $300 discount. I’m a sucker for a discount. Max has now lost 2 teeth. The first was in a movie theater and it’s going for good. The second was in the van and I can’t find it anywhere. He has lost, lost 2 teeth. Good thing I did t want to keep them.
  • I found some other areas who have restaurant weeks.  But I think only NOLA calls it Coolinary...with two o's.  Which is a nod to why it is in August for us.  August is the most miserable month of the year here, because of the heat.  It's also the lowest month for tourism.  So, from a restaurant standpoint, it's a good event to advertise "get out of the heat and into the cool".  And they'll fill tables that would normally be empty ;).

SIB

Thanks! Maybe that's why I never paid attention/interest in it.  It's Chicago Chicago and not Chicagoland.  Nothing good reaches the suburbs! 

http://www.findrestaurantweeks.com/il/ Maybe there's hope, depending on where in suburbia you are ;)

SIB

http://www.findrestaurantweeks.com/il/ Maybe there's hope, depending on where in suburbia you are ;)
    Ooooh thank you!! There's a few really close to me!! 
  • S+S we have a similar thing in this area.  We call it restaurant week.  They have them in different areas and at different times of year.  During the summer month ones, they usually focus on the local produce of the area.  One right now is a red, white & blue themed one.  Another local town that has many restaurants did a bacon themed one earlier this year.

Yoga last night was wonderful.  I need to figure out a time to get a 2nd class in again.  I miss and really need that 2nd class, but I also don't want to miss out on time with DD.  So I think I will need to get a bit creative in this endeavor!

We have a concrete guy coming out tonight to give an estimate to compare against our first.  So we can move forward on that project soon.

• 6fsn said:
    December V?!
    I could probably get in with someone else sooner, if I'd be willing to see someone at a different clinic (I'm not) or not require them to be an internal medicine doctor (I'm not).  Additionally, going to this one, let's me still see my old NP in between doctor visits and I really liked my old NP, so I'll just suck it up.

SIB

At least for Coolinary, it's the same here.  I think there were 5 restaurants outside of New Orleans proper.  And even those were in totally different places.

Heck, even for specifically the city of New Orleans, almost all the restaurants are only in the French Quarter/Downtown area and the Uptown area.  Whole swathes of the city have nothing, lol.

However, the suburbs are well represented in Groupon type deals. And discount books, like those Entertainment ones, have way more stuff in the suburbs.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used to treat Chicago's Restaurant Week like my own personal Superbowl, haha. Love it. I'd go to 4 or 5 nice restaurants in one week.  

However, it takes some research work to plan reservations. I don't know what's happened to it, but the restaurants are not serious enough about making the "deal" work. If I look at your menu, and the items selected for prix fix for $33 (or $44 at the really nice places) barely add up to $33/$44 if ordered off the regular menu, it's NOT a deal.

Case in point, several years ago I went to Ditka's. Da Pork Chop alone is like $30, and during Restaurant Week you could get that and lobster bisque and dessert for $33. That was great! But then I went to RPM Italian and their prix fix was not a deal. I wrote a polite Yelp review later about that and the restaurant actually contacted me and ultimately gave me a $50 gift card! That was really great of them (and their food is quite awesome too so I was happy to return). And fun factoid, RPM is co-owned by Guiliana Rancic. 

So anyway, now I maybe do one restaurant during RW and it takes me a long time to decide where to spend my money. 

• I used to treat Chicago's Restaurant Week like my own personal Superbowl, haha. Love it. I'd go to 4 or 5 nice restaurants in one week.  

However, it takes some research work to plan reservations. I don't know what's happened to it, but the restaurants are not serious enough about making the "deal" work. If I look at your menu, and the items selected for prix fix for $33 (or $44 at the really nice places) barely add up to $33/$44 if ordered off the regular menu, it's NOT a deal.

Case in point, several years ago I went to Ditka's. Da Pork Chop alone is like $30, and during Restaurant Week you could get that and lobster bisque and dessert for $33. That was great! But then I went to RPM Italian and their prix fix was not a deal. I wrote a polite Yelp review later about that and the restaurant actually contacted me and ultimately gave me a $50 gift card! That was really great of them (and their food is quite awesome too so I was happy to return). And fun factoid, RPM is co-owned by Guiliana Rancic. 

So anyway, now I maybe do one restaurant during RW and it takes me a long time to decide where to spend my money. 

I do the same thing!  But I've rarely seen where it isn't that much of a good deal.  That's awesome they gave you a gift card!  And, hopefully, gave a little more thought to their prix fix offer/pricing for the next year.  Whether restaurant week or not, a prix fix menu should always be a decently better value than items ordered individually.  Otherwise, what's the point?

Ditka was a coach for the Saints from '97-'99.  He opened a Ditka's restaurant while he was here.  It lasted longer than his coaching term, lol.  But not by much.

What I do have happen more often is, if I or my H wouldn't like the choices for one of the courses...even if it's just the appetizer or dessert course...then it's usually not worth it for us.  Especially when there are already more restaurant choices than we have time for, lol.

A "hardship" for me is one of the most famous desserts to ever come out of this city is bread pudding.  I'm not much of a sweets eater anyway and I do not like bread pudding.  But don't tell anyone who lives here I said that.  They might kick me out, lol.  It is on so many of the dessert courses.  Sometimes it is the only choice.  Sorrynotsorry, if that's the only one, next! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I do the same thing!  But I've rarely seen where it isn't that much of a good deal.  That's awesome they gave you a gift card!  And, hopefully, gave a little more thought to their prix fix offer/pricing for the next year.  Whether restaurant week or not, a prix fix menu should always be a decently better value than items ordered individually.  Otherwise, what's the point?

Ditka was a coach for the Saints from '97-'99.  He opened a Ditka's restaurant while he was here.  It lasted longer than his coaching term, lol.  But not by much.

What I do have happen more often is, if I or my H wouldn't like the choices for one of the courses...even if it's just the appetizer or dessert course...then it's usually not worth it for us.  Especially when there are already more restaurant choices than we have time for, lol.

A "hardship" for me is one of the most famous desserts to ever come out of this city is bread pudding.  I'm not much of a sweets eater anyway and I do not like bread pudding.  But don't tell anyone who lives here I said that.  They might kick me out, lol.  It is on so many of the dessert courses.  Sometimes it is the only choice.  Sorrynotsorry, if that's the only one, next! 

yeah, I don't like it either. H does...but I think he only likes it because it's usually made with a rum sauce.

• I do the same thing!  But I've rarely seen where it isn't that much of a good deal.  That's awesome they gave you a gift card!  And, hopefully, gave a little more thought to their prix fix offer/pricing for the next year.  Whether restaurant week or not, a prix fix menu should always be a decently better value than items ordered individually.  Otherwise, what's the point?

yeah, I don't like it either. H does...but I think he only likes it because it's usually made with a rum sauce.
    It seems like on Chopped, the judges look down a little on chefs that make bread pudding for the dessert round.  I'm guessing, because it can be used as a base that almost anything can be thrown into, it lacks creativity for them.  And I can't help but have a little, gleeful smile when they get a look on their face like "oh. another bread pudding. yawn.", lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    In Indy we have Devour downtown which was for downtown Indianapolis but then it grew into Northside nights (so the northern part of the city/burbs) and then now I feel like all of the metro area has some sort of restaurant week offering at some point. 

I'm busy getting stuff ready for a kid's consignment sale. I'd been selling some on FB for my bro but I hit a plateau and got tired of people no-showing so I'm going the consignment sale route. Hope it goes well for all the work. Between FB selling, garage sale earlier this year (baby stuff, my clothes and house stuff) and now the consignment sale I'm done with selling crap this year. 
  • kvruns said:
    In Indy we have Devour downtown which was for downtown Indianapolis but then it grew into Northside nights (so the northern part of the city/burbs) and then now I feel like all of the metro area has some sort of restaurant week offering at some point. 

They've combined them all into one event now.  I think it's 'Devour Indy' and encompasses all sides of town. 

I've been disappointed the last few times we've eaten downtown. We've actually had better meals in Broadripple (if we're looking for something new) than anywhere else in town.  Fountain Square also has some interesting places.  But right downtown is 'meh'.  I was super disappointed in Burger Study (St. Elmo's burger restaurant)...lots of $$ for a so-so meal.  

My $0.02 anyway.  ;) 
  • I do the same thing!  But I've rarely seen where it isn't that much of a good deal.  That's awesome they gave you a gift card!  And, hopefully, gave a little more thought to their prix fix offer/pricing for the next year.  Whether restaurant week or not, a prix fix menu should always be a decently better value than items ordered individually.  Otherwise, what's the point?

It seems like on Chopped, the judges look down a little on chefs that make bread pudding for the dessert round.  I'm guessing, because it can be used as a base that almost anything can be thrown into, it lacks creativity for them.  And I can't help but have a little, gleeful smile when they get a look on their face like "oh. another bread pudding. yawn.", lol.
    And unless you’re baking the bread yourself it’s really phoning it in
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    I make a mean bread pudding and now I want some. 
  • Hah, I was thinking about making a sugar-free bread pudding for grandpa using sugar free creamer! But I think I'm going with an ice cream cake since I found 100 recipes for sugar free brownies and there's some really good sugar free ice creams out there.