Flowers

Flowers flowers and more flowers

Need some advice on how to not get overwhelmed by choosing flowers.

I have 3 flower appointments this week (!!) and I know nothing about flowers. I know colors I like but that's about it...

Do I need to know types of flowers or is that the florists job to educate me?

And do guest really care what type of flowers? or just that it looks pretty??

TIA

Re: Flowers flowers and more flowers

• Need some advice on how to not get overwhelmed by choosing flowers.

I have 3 flower appointments this week (!!) and I know nothing about flowers. I know colors I like but that's about it...

Do I need to know types of flowers or is that the florists job to educate me?

And do guest really care what type of flowers? or just that it looks pretty??

TIA

Guests do not care.

I gave my florist my budget, the number of arrangements needed, and some color inspiration. She was able to choose flowers that were in-season (and therefore cheaper) and arrange them in a way that looked nice. Since I knew nothing and didn't care, this was a great and stress-free way to go. They turned out great.

If you think you're going to care about what flowers are included, but you don't know what you're going to like yet, then yes, the florist should be able to give you some ideas. I really would start by asking what's in-season in the colors you like - those flowers will be freshest and cheapest. Pick one or two from among the types she shows you, if you care, but don't micromanage. What knowledgeable florists arrange to fill out a bouquet is generally going to look nicer than what someone thinks should be put together.
  • Guests do not care about flowers. 

Go into each floral appointment with the following numbers:
    1) YOUR BUDGET - this probably the first question they will ask you so that they don't show you a bunch of stuff that's out of your price range...and keep in mind there will be extra costs including vase rental, delivery, and possible set up, depending on what you get. Go low. 
    2) Number of bouquets (yours + BMs)
    3) Number of boutonnieres (groom + GMs + RB + ushers + FOB/FOG/other VIPs)
    4) Number of corsages (MOB + MOG + grandmas + FG + other VIPs)
    5) Approximate number of guest tables (centerpieces) 
    6) Number of arrangements for reception auxiliary tables (guest book table, cake table, favor table, etc.)
    7) Number of arrangements for the ceremony

For the bouquets, they will have a few silk models where you can pick a size.

For the boutonnieres and corsages, you can ask to see things in the shop and tell them generally "that size is what I'm looking for."

For the centerpieces and other arrangements, you will need to be specific about what you want in terms of sizing and arrangement style (in a standard vase, in a basket, in an Eiffel tower vase, etc.). They will also have vases you can rent so that you don't have to worry about glass at all. If you want to put the flowers in a specific vase, you should bring it with you so they know what they'll be working with. 

Mostly, they will ask you about quantity, sizing and flower type. In terms of flower type, you should google image "blush wedding bouquet" or "purple wedding bouquet" and bring your inspiration photos with you. If the florist is honest, they will tell you if they can make your inspiration photos happen in your budget or if you need to pick more cost effective flowers. Local and in-season will be cheapest. And keep in mind that, going with real flowers, you will not get colors to match exactly - it's nature, not a dye factory. So be flexible. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Agree with PPs. While flowers are beautiful, guests don't care. Giving a budget is important.

DD went into the florist appointment saying she wanted X colors with a full look for the bouquets and centerpieces. She had no particular flower requests since she wasn't knowledgeable about flowers. The florist pulled somethings together for a "look" explaining that she would use in season flowers. We were very pleased with the results.
  • The two details you NEED for these appointments 1) Your BUDGET!!!  (and say this is the "AFTER any delivery, and taxes are added in!" amount so you have an easier time sticking with it)... 2) What flowers you need bouquets, bouts, corsages, ceremony, reception, etc.  The question you need to be asking is what you get for the money.  You're hiring a professional to pull off a vision you have with a specific color scheme, let them do what they do best to achieve the look.  
  • I literally asked the florist for bouquets that were "in season, in budget and happy looking" and then let them work their magic. I received more compliments on the bouquets than any other part of the wedding. However, the only time I think I would notice flowers at a wedding would be if they were dead.

To quote Jane, 

"I dare say you have heard those charming lines of the poet,
    'Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
    And waste its fragrance on the desert air.'"

- Mrs. Elton, Emma
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • MesmrEwe said:
    The two details you NEED for these appointments 1) Your BUDGET!!!  (and say this is the "AFTER any delivery, and taxes are added in!" amount so you have an easier time sticking with it)... 2) What flowers you need bouquets, bouts, corsages, ceremony, reception, etc.  The question you need to be asking is what you get for the money.  You're hiring a professional to pull off a vision you have with a specific color scheme, let them do what they do best to achieve the look.  
    Totally! My mom did pretty much everything with the flowers. I sort of generally pointed out what I liked in pictures of individual flowers, but that's it. 

Think about if there's anything specific you like or dislike in terms of shapes. For example, I told my mom I wanted a tight clump of flowers for my bouquet. I didn't want something loose or a cascade, etc. She likes calla lilies (and suggested a single stem with a ribbon for the BMs), but I said I didn't and so I didn't have calla lilies. She asked stuff like if x was ok for boutonnieres, and I'm basically "sure."

Other than that, I basically had no input. 

• Guests do not care.

They really don't. 

• Yeah, actually guests do not care the type of flowers. 
  • Yeah, actually guests do not care the type of flowers. 
    I agree with you
  • @knottiedd5661b8f9a43a81 welcome to the Knot forums! Please check the date of a previous post before posting. This is from last November. Feel free to start a new topic on flowers if you have something to contribute.
  • ernursej said:

@shessocold can you close?

On it! Thanks!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards