Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Marriage Certificate?s

How long did it take you to get the certificate?  Was it mailed to you?  Did/can you pick up?  Can someone else pick up for you?

I am getting married 11-11 and hoping it will be ready by 11/23 so I can go to SS on 11/25 since I am off work and get my name changed before the end of the year. 

Thanks for your answers!

Re: Marriage Certificate?s

• Options
    edited December 2011
    DH and I registered in Boston. They didn't mail us a copy, so I had to go to city hall to get a copy.  (I'm not sure if they will let someone that's not you or your husband pick it up for you.)

ETA: I was married on 6/5/10 and the cert wasn't ready until 6/17. Since you're getting married in November, there might be less of a lag for you.

Of course, this might be different for other towns. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just know my town offices are closed on 11/25 (day after Thanksgiving) but SS will be open and I was hoping most would be shopping I wouldn't have a long wait at SS or RMV - wishful thinking I know :)

Worse case I tell my boss I will be late one morning and get it done.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, it depends on the town you register in. We got ours in Cambridge and had to send in a self addressed envelope for them to mail it to us, or we could have gone in in person to get it. I can't remember how long they said, though, because I know we waited longer since there was no rush (delayed honeymoon booked under maiden name so I waited until after to change it).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work for a Town Clerks Office and we tell people it's roughly two weeks---but it all depends on how quickly your officiant can get the certificate back to us.  Some officiants mail it the day you get married, so we have it done within a few days--marriage certificates are open records so anyone can pick up a copy for you--they just need both parties names and your date of marriage.  HTH! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought it was 2 weeks - but was hoping for just under so I could get the name change done on an already scheduled day off.

My honeymoon is booked under my maiden name so that isn't a worry.  I was just thinking of trying to get it done before the end of the year for when I file taxes and start the new year with my new name.

Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    goalieegoaliee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband and I filed our intentions in Rockport on a Monday, got married in Rockport on Thursday, brought our completed license back to the town hall right after the ceremony, and they had our certificate waiting for us.  PS- Rockport only costs $20.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards