Wedding Woes
Options

You really didn't know until you started the job?

Dear Prudence,

This summer I left an unhappy but reliable job for a transitional teaching program. I’ve always been interested in teaching but haven’t pursued it until now. All summer I was excited and looking forward to being in the classroom. I’ve invested thousands of dollars, my time, and my friends’ and family’s support into this, and three days in, I want out! I came home after the first day and had a terrible panic attack. I almost had to pull over while driving home. The school and the kids are actually pretty nice. My anxiety wasn’t because of these external things but rather because I simply didn’t like teaching! It wasn’t a bad day, but it still left me with the undeniable feeling that I’ve made a big mistake. Could this feeling be real? It felt pretty real, and a few more days into things, even with better, smoother classes, the feeling has only grown. I feel ashamed, embarrassed, and worthless that I am even considering quitting after all of this, not to mention my feeling of obligation to the school and students. Help! I want permission to quit but I don’t know if I deserve it.

—Hello Teaching, Goodbye Teaching

Re: You really didn't know until you started the job?

• Options
    What??   I'm guessing this person never taught before?  Maybe give it time?? 

• Options
    banana468 said:

In every state I've ever lived in, student teaching for 6 months is required before you can start a full-time independent teaching job. Generally, if you have any bachelor's degree, you can transition to teaching by completing a couple education classes and 6 months of student teaching. She didn't mention this was student teaching, so I assume she already went through that. I would think you'd figure it out during that time that you hate it!
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

In every state I've ever lived in, student teaching for 6 months is required before you can start a full-time independent teaching job. Generally, if you have any bachelor's degree, you can transition to teaching by completing a couple education classes and 6 months of student teaching. She didn't mention this was student teaching, so I assume she already went through that. I would think you'd figure it out during that time that you hate it!
    I wonder if it's more of a 'teach for America' position or something in a private school? 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    banana468 said:

I wonder if it's more of a 'teach for America' position or something in a private school? 
    That's true I didn't think about TOA or something like that.  In that case I could totally understand feeling overwhelmed since those positions are often in more difficult districts, especially for a new teacher.  I agree that he or she should give it time though - I think 3 days in any new job is going to feel overwhelming and it's not nearly enough time to decide whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    I don't necessarily agree that student teaching would've clued her in that she didn't like teaching. H has worked at the same bank for close to 10 years, but only in the past few years has he realized that he doesn't like his job to the point that he has horrible anxiety and panic attacks. I agree that she needs to give it some more time but nonetheless, her feelings are valid.
  • Options
    Teaching isn’t a “fake it til you make it” career.  I mean most professions aren’t but teaching really isn’t.  Which is why I’m on the fence regarding programs like Teach for America, Teaching Fellows, etc. (My city has at least ten like this and the students in low performing schools really deserve better.) I’d advise LW to give it a bit more time though- the beginning really is the hardest!  He/she should reflect on the reasons they were “always into teaching”, and ask their supervisor for a better mentor.  A strong, passionate, veteran teacher is the most helpful thing LW could have at this time.
  • Options
    H always says that teaching is the worst the first year and it gets better after that.  But there's a reason (actually many) that more people quit in their first 5 years than any other time, and it's because it ain't for everyone.
  • Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2018
    Maybe I'm taking this in a completely wrong direction, but is it possible that LW has issues with public speaking/stage fright? Some people find it terrifying to speak/perform/present in front of others, and that's a huge part of what you're doing in the classroom. 

Anyway, regardless of the exact reason they're this unhappy, I agree that LW needs to give this more time, and perhaps find a more experienced teacher to mentor them. It can be very scary to start a new career, and with teaching, you don't necessarily get as much of a learning curve as a lot of other people would have starting out. LW shouldn't try to take this on alone or make a rash decision to leave.
  • Options
    I read this totally differently from everyone else. I thought this was her student teaching assignment and once she was there she realized teaching wasn't her thing. The reason I thought this was she just started the accelerated teaching program this summer. As a PP stated, every program I've heard of has student teaching as part of it after having completed some class work. If this is the case, LW has discovered teaching isn't  her thing but needs to finish the semester (which is how long most student teaching is). I have a friend who did this after doing a traditional 4 year bachelor's in education. This was 40+ years ago when you didn't do student teaching until your last year. She got into the classroom and realized that being there was not what she wanted to do for the rest of her life! Thankfully, now educations students are put in the classroom much earlier!
  • Options
    The first few weeks after I was quit a stable and reliable career I, regularly, panicked I made the wrong choice. What if the new job wasn’t rewarding? What if I couldn’t do it and got let go 6 months in? 

I do think LW should give it the semester to really get into a rhythm but I also don’t think panicking over a major life change means she has mental health issues.