Chit Chat

Buffet Timeline!?

We're having a buffet dinner and we're not fooling around with any games! The tables will be called quickly to get everyone moving!
How long did your dinner take?  I'm thinking to have the M/C's do the housekeeping and announcements just before 6:00pm and have the bridal party introduced at 6:00pm and tables called shortly after.
If we had the first dance set for 7:45, do you think that will be enough time or too long or too short? There will, most likely, be around 130 people.  We are only having two speeches and they will be done during dinner. Our Thank-you speech will be done right before the first dance so no one will bored and waiting during speeches. Basically, I want to get us moving and onto fun and dance.  

Re: Buffet Timeline!?

• We're having a buffet dinner and we're not fooling around with any games! The tables will be called quickly to get everyone moving!
    How long did your dinner take?  I'm thinking to have the M/C's do the housekeeping and announcements just before 6:00pm and have the bridal party introduced at 6:00pm and tables called shortly after.
    If we had the first dance set for 7:45, do you think that will be enough time or too long or too short? There will, most likely, be around 130 people.  We are only having two speeches and they will be done during dinner. Our Thank-you speech will be done right before the first dance so no one will bored and waiting during speeches. Basically, I want to get us moving and onto fun and dance.  
    So, I'm thinking that dinner takes as long as it takes - there's no need to try to estimate and schedule a time for the next stuff. Just do the first dance when people are mostly done with dinner, and if you don't want dinner to take that long, then make sure the people calling tables are on top of it. Your DJ should be able to figure that out without any trouble.
  • I never thought of that! Kind of just read the room? I like that idea. Because I don't want to rush anyone, but sitting at a table for hours waiting definitely sucks. 
    Maybe I will make 8:00pm the 'cut-off'  (and change accordingly if anything goes late!) and let the M/C's know and start the festivities then!

• You could also walk into the room, do your first dance, announce the WP and go straight to the buffet before you two go to the head table to get/keep things moving then your DJ can transition right into the dance when people are mostly done eating...  

The reality is, there is no right/wrong and a lot can be determined by your numbers and buffet lines. If you've got four lines and 300 guests, that's a significant difference in time to get through the buffet line than 2 lines and 75 guests.