Wedding Woes
Options

Today Will Be a Difficult Day for Some of You

NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited September 2018 in Wedding Woes
If you have not been following politics, 5 women have now come forward alleging that a candidate for the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh, has sexually assaulted them. Today, one of the survivors will speak publically and tell her story to the world. 

Today is going to be a difficult day for survivors of sexual abuse and sexual assault. If any of you have experienced this trauma - I don't know any of you personally (I don't think), but know that I am supporting from afar. 

Here's a link from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center about self -care after a sexual assault: https://www.nsvrc.org/blogs/complexities-self-care-after-sexual-assault

Here's the link to the number for the National Sexual Assault Hotline: https://www.rainn.org/about-national-sexual-assault-telephone-hotline

Stay strong Knotties

Re: Today Will Be a Difficult Day for Some of You

• Options
    Thanks for this. 

Its just going to be a shit day for so so many people. I’m still so angry about it all. 
  • Options

It's hard to understand how this can even be happening.  But then, I feel like our country went off the rails when they elected a President who admitted to sexually assaulting women.  So Republicans know they won't lose their core base by appointing a Supreme Court Justice who is a rapist.  That's just "minor details".

I'm trying to philosophically see the silver lining.  It has been the dark days like these that has activated the #MeToo movement.  That has brought the ugly, hidden secret of just how rampant sexual assault is in our society to the light.  To the forefront of conversations.  And with it, hopefully the moving forward of changing attitudes and policies.  For more help and understanding for victims and, even better, fewer victims. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have the hearing on in my office. I have not been sexually assaulted, and this is hard for me to listen to.

This is me.  I don't have it on in my office, but I went downstairs to the deli to pick up some breakfast.  The owner had his tv on and I could hear Dr. Ford testifying.  It is heartbreaking and hard to hear for anyone.

I think it is also a good example that someone does not need to specifically be raped, to have a horrifying and traumatic experience that can still haunt them all these years later. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have the hearing on in my office. I have not been sexually assaulted, and this is hard for me to listen to.
    Same. Can't even imagine what this is doing to anyone who has been assaulted.
  • Options
    Most of us know what it's like. 

Now is when we need to vote people in that look like the United States of America. We need diversity and inclusion. Not people who sit in gilded towers. 
  • Options
    I watched some of it and my mind wandered to think of all the women (and men) that I've cared for that have been sexually assaulted. I have personally looked after 124 individuals. It is not okay.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I came across this list of kids books, to help the young boys in our lives. I love all the incredible, female empowering, STEAM focused media that has been coming out directed at young girls and this is seems like a good companion list. (I have not personally read any of these so as far as I know they are shit ;)

http://www.booksforlittles.com/toxic-masculinity/