Wedding Woes
Options

Monday, Monday!

How was the weekend? How does the week look?

It was HOT this weekend and supposed to get to 87 today!  4 soccer games and not much else.  6let had blast on his bday weekend with his grandparents- OSU soccer, shopping, eating out, a GINORMOUS book store, monopoly, and a big bed to himself. His game Saturday was against the team 2 club that offered him a team 3 place (team 2 is better than team 3).  I was curious how this would go since these kids are supposedly better than him.  His team won 6-2 and he had a great game- made some great saves in goal and assisted on two points.  His team was even better than the score shows so it's a little confirmation that we made the right choice for him.

Normal sort of week here.  I waited too long to book a hair cut and I'm going to have to take Max with me Wednesday.  I need to get in though.  It's the first time in 6 years and the appointment is during the day.  I'll give him my phone and give her a nice tip:)

Re: Monday, Monday!

• Options
    Oh and I thought of the perfect Christmas present for DH, but I don't know that I'll be able to find it.  His grandfather made a chess set.  I'd love to find a coffee table chess table for it.  I may just need to find a board, but that might be tough too.  The King is like 1.5" wide.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Way to go, 6let! And that's a very sweet idea for your H, I hope you can find something. 

I had a good weekend. Errands and a party Saturday and I cleaned the house yesterday while H went fishing. I had like 100 apples so I thought, "Fuck it, I'll make applesauce and bake with it or something". It is SO GOOD. I ate like 3 bowls of it last night. And with a sugar substitute, it's 0 WW points! I'm so excited to eat it all fall long.

H keeps saying he's going to work out with me. Today is the day - we shall see!

ETA - LOL MJL - how do you feel? Ready to get him out? Due date was Saturday, right?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2018
    H and I have been dogsitting and house sitting all week. Yesterday was the first day I was in my own bed and it was amazing! They have a labradoodle and she sleeps in the bed with them. The dog was such a wild sleeper 😩 I barely slept all week. I’m happy that’s over.

The browns won their first Sunday and first division game in over 1,000 days!! I’m a happy girl! 

H and I went to the Eason Garlic fest yesterday - it was so much fun! We bought several varieties of garlic, one month till planting season (I hope we don’t eat it all before then) 

We’re ramping up production for the rest of the year because of Chinese New Year and work is kicking my ass. 33 days till our honeymoon!

• Options
    SSC- I feel fine, just ready. Thanks. :)

NBS- I hope this time before the honeymoon flies by. Where are you going again?
  • Options
    SSC- I feel fine, just ready. Thanks. :)

NBS- I hope this time before the honeymoon flies by. Where are you going again?
    We’re taking a cruise to Bermuda! I hope it flies by as well. I’m getting so excited!!! 
  • Options
    My ILs leave today. It’s been a decent visit, no complaints (unlike last time) but still ready to have my house back. Thought I was going to lose my mind with FIL sitting on the floor with his glasses on the ground and the dog walking right there sniffing around - and then sets them down next to his coffee cup which is onthe fireplace ledge where baby B toys are. Like cmon do you want your glasss broken (by a dog or toddler) and coffee spilled all over the floor? 
  • Options

I keep forgetting it is a "holiday" today, lol.  Because pretty much only schools and government agencies have it off.  Certainly not me!

It was such a busy weekend!  We ran a bunch of errands on Friday, including a mystery shop with a $250 fee.  That will essentially give me the lawn mower I bought (and need) for free.  On Sat., it was a marathon trip to Home Depot.  I kid you not, we were there for about 2 hours and the total set me back $1500.  Harsh, lol.  But expected.

Sat. was also the first time I'd seen the rental house, since the previous tenant vacated.  My H painted a much rosier picture to me of the reality, lol.  Here's an interesting difference between my H and I.  When we are evaluating buying a new property, he is so much more detailed and better than me at seeing "potential problems".  Like water damage on the ceiling, signs that the HVAC is on its last legs, etc.  And I'm like, "Oooh, pretty!  Looks in great condition."  But when tenants vacate, we are just the opposite.  He's the one saying, "Yeah, looks like they left it pretty decent."  And I'm saying, "Whaaatt?  Damage here, here, and here.  Look how filthy X, Y, and Z are."

We're debating about totally renovating the kitchen (sigh).  We had not been expecting to do that.  The cabinets are still usable, but in bad shape.  We hate to do it, at this point.  We'd rather wait until we are ready to sell the house.  But that might be at least a few years from now.  It is a small kitchen, at least.  And we're repainting the walls and replacing the floors around it anyway.  So it just makes sense to do it now.  But, ugh.  Lame.

Sun. was more relaxing.  We hung out all day and then I had a mystery shop at a fine dining steak restaurant.  Even though the reimbursement for the meal was a hefty $175!  I still went over it by $19, once the tip got added in.  The entrée costs weren't even that bad.  But when you add in appetizers, sides, and desserts.  Plus a martini, prepared tableside!  Which was pretty fun.  Yikes, the costs sure add up, lol.  On the bright side, the food was amazing and it was a fantastic experience.  So I'm hardly crying over the extra $19.  I was just surprised by the bill.

Today, Saints play Mon. night football at home.  Which is fun and exciting for a Saints fan, like myself.  But not so great to try and drive home, after work.  I usually drive almost right past the Superdome.  However, today, I will be taking a longer, alternative route to (hopefully) avoid most of that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We had a really great weekend! Friday my parents stopped over. Then we just caught up on some shows. 
    Saturday we went for an early 6 mile hike with the dogs. Did some retail therapy after that. Saturday night we went to check out the Mile Long Opera on the High Line. So, so awesome. 
    Yesterday I went to go see A Star is Born with my friend. GO SEE THIS. It was so good. 
  • Options

I keep forgetting it is a "holiday" today, lol.  Because pretty much only schools and government agencies have it off.  Certainly not me!

It was such a busy weekend!  We ran a bunch of errands on Friday, including a mystery shop with a $250 fee.  That will essentially give me the lawn mower I bought (and need) for free.  On Sat., it was a marathon trip to Home Depot.  I kid you not, we were there for about 2 hours and the total set me back $1500.  Harsh, lol.  But expected.

Sat. was also the first time I'd seen the rental house, since the previous tenant vacated.  My H painted a much rosier picture to me of the reality, lol.  Here's an interesting difference between my H and I.  When we are evaluating buying a new property, he is so much more detailed and better than me at seeing "potential problems".  Like water damage on the ceiling, signs that the HVAC is on its last legs, etc.  And I'm like, "Oooh, pretty!  Looks in great condition."  But when tenants vacate, we are just the opposite.  He's the one saying, "Yeah, looks like they left it pretty decent."  And I'm saying, "Whaaatt?  Damage here, here, and here.  Look how filthy X, Y, and Z are."

We're debating about totally renovating the kitchen (sigh).  We had not been expecting to do that.  The cabinets are still usable, but in bad shape.  We hate to do it, at this point.  We'd rather wait until we are ready to sell the house.  But that might be at least a few years from now.  It is a small kitchen, at least.  And we're repainting the walls and replacing the floors around it anyway.  So it just makes sense to do it now.  But, ugh.  Lame.

Sun. was more relaxing.  We hung out all day and then I had a mystery shop at a fine dining steak restaurant.  Even though the reimbursement for the meal was a hefty $175!  I still went over it by $19, once the tip got added in.  The entrée costs weren't even that bad.  But when you add in appetizers, sides, and desserts.  Plus a martini, prepared tableside!  Which was pretty fun.  Yikes, the costs sure add up, lol.  On the bright side, the food was amazing and it was a fantastic experience.  So I'm hardly crying over the extra $19.  I was just surprised by the bill.

Today, Saints play Mon. night football at home.  Which is fun and exciting for a Saints fan, like myself.  But not so great to try and drive home, after work.  I usually drive almost right past the Superdome.  However, today, I will be taking a longer, alternative route to (hopefully) avoid most of that.

I always feel bad for drivers on Monday night games. As though Chicago traffic isn't fucked enough during rush hour. 

Soldier Field is also right near several parks and right on the lake so the area around it is really pretty and popular for runners. Every Sunday walking in, there's always a ton of runners all annoyed that we're in their way. I get it, but there are 8 home games a year, so it's not like there's 60,000 people pouring in on a regular basis. Wouldn't you change your jog route or at least timing during those games?

Weren't you planning on selling that rental soon? What changed?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    This weekend was pretty good. We went out with FSIL and her FI on Saturday and then did a scary movie night which was fun. Sunday we worked on house projects. We finallyyyy fixed the fridge situation but unfortunately now we don’t have any room for a trashcan. Ugh. I need a giant kitchen. This postage stamp is not serving my needs. 

I have clinic today. Tomorrow I plan on studying. I can’t believe it’s almost the middle of the semester. I feel like Christmas is practically next week. 

• Options
    Weekend was easy and good, which was what I needed.  Friday I took half a day, just b/c I was not in the mind frame for work and just wanted out.  K and I met a friend for sushi/drinks, then went to Ulta for a palette I wanted and some other random errands.  Stayed in that night and caught up on Thursday night TV.  Saturday was their last roller derby game of the season.  I thought this meant no more practice.  I was wrong.  But K has agreed to only go on Tuesdays for the next month.  :D  Sunday was laundry and picking up the apartment.  We watched Oceans 8 and just generally vegged until K went to work.  Then I went to bed.
  • Options

I always feel bad for drivers on Monday night games. As though Chicago traffic isn't fucked enough during rush hour. 

Soldier Field is also right near several parks and right on the lake so the area around it is really pretty and popular for runners. Every Sunday walking in, there's always a ton of runners all annoyed that we're in their way. I get it, but there are 8 home games a year, so it's not like there's 60,000 people pouring in on a regular basis. Wouldn't you change your jog route or at least timing during those games?

Weren't you planning on selling that rental soon? What changed?

Right?  I mean, if I can change the roads I'm driving home on, it seems like it would be even easier to change a jogging path.

I remember where Soldier Field is from my recent visit.  It is right in the thick of things.  The Superdome is like that also.  It is at one end of the Downtown area.  Big office buildings right by it.

Good memory!  We were going to sell that rental.  And this is a much longer story than you probably realized, lol. 

My H really wants to start a landscaping/handyman business.  That was a surprise he popped on me somewhat recently, lol.  But we need some extra space to do that and he wants to use that house as a work space/base.  I was initially reticent.  Because, although it isn't an especially valuable house, it would still be a nice chunk to pay down my HELOC.  And probably enough for a down payment on a 4-plex.  We've looked at the market, the demand, and crunched numbers for the kind of services he will be providing.  There is a big need and I think we will do really well with it.

The icing on the cake is we have some friends who are looking to relocate and want to rent that house.  So we'll still be collecting a decent amount of rent for it, in the meantime.  They are fully aware my H will be in and out of it all the time (though during the day) and using two of the bedrooms, including the largest one which is actually a converted garage.  And, yes, I'm reticent about that arrangement also, lol.  But we all agreed a month-to-month makes the most sense.  Because, while everyone seems excited and onboard, we all realize it also an odd situation.  

Back to the beginning a bit.  This is a funny story.  I have to give my H a lot of credit.  He knew exactly the right tactics to persuade me.  Because my initial reaction was, "What are you crazy?  No way.  I'm not using the house for that.  I want to sell it and buy a 4-plex."  But I did acknowledge we could talk about the landscaping business and figure out another way.  He accepted that and said okay.  And didn't bring it up again for quite awhile.  But apparently, he was doing his research ;).  Because he knows I'm a "numbers gal".  When he brought the conversation up again, this time he came armed with his research, conservative numbers, and spreadsheets, lol.  Me: "What?  Whoa!  Why didn't you tell me sooner there was this much profit in landscaping?".  I was an easy sell after that, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I've been so busy with work I haven't been able to stop by!  I hope all is well with everyone!

Weekend was crazy and we are just gearing up for more crazy!  Friday, I left the office early so I could take DD for her first real haircut.  As predicted, I cut too much hair for her bangs!  So there will be a growing out period, but I got some length taken off the back too and she looks so adorable with her little bob! 

Saturday, H and I worked on sanding down some of the upstairs doors.  They have always stuck since we moved in, 4 years ago!  So we finally got them off the hinges and sanded them down.  They all fit and open/close without any extra effort!  We can even have a bathroom rug on the floor in the master bath now!  It's the little things! 

Sunday was meeting up with my sister to go over the food for my mom's party this Saturday.  I also brought over Olive to see how she does around the cats, so that she can stay with them in a few weekends when H and I go to a B&B for 2 nights.  Olive did great!  No chasing them at all!  H got some more work done around the house while I was out.  He is off today and doing even more work.

This week will be full of cleaning and prepping for my mom's party.  We have invited all of her first cousins, who she doesn't get to see too much, to my house to celebrate her 70th birthday (2 months later!).  Then the following day we will have a full family picture taken with my immediate family.  Hoping the weather holds out for that!

Not sure how much I can stop in this week, but hopefully I can get back here daily!

• Options
    I'm here.  Weekend was good. Very low-key. 

I'm over this heat.  I'm tired of boob sweat and swamp ass/crotch.  I want to wear boots, jeans, and sweaters and be outside without dissolving into a puddle of sweat.  /rant 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

I'm over this heat.  I'm tired of boob sweat and swamp ass/crotch.  I want to wear boots, jeans, and sweaters and be outside without dissolving into a puddle of sweat.  /rant 
    Yup. Same. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Yup. Same. 
    Same here.  Crisp air is so invigorating.  

FIL blew us off on Saturday. I was obviously halfway through cooking a nice dinner.  Took the kids pumpkin picking yesterday and to a local fall festival this morning.  Making a big Italian feast tonight (I’m a bad Liberal we celebrate Columbus Day  :#), and back to work tomorrow.  So just in a nice place. 
  • Options
    This heat can suck it!  It’s supposed to be 83 at m2’s game tonight. 
  • Options
    OMG this heat is the worst. I like summer activities (water sports, etc) but don't actually enjoy the heat. SIL's new partner was actually super great and I feel a little bad for being irritated about them coming over. MIL showed up 45 minutes early with almost everything I told her I was making. Brought her own serving platters and everything. I hadn't even showered yet and I was super annoyed. Monday was going great til the last hour when some drama hit the fan about a project. I'll spare you the details, but will just say that I wish it was sometimes appropriate to punch somebody (it never is, for any reason, I know).
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    OMG this heat is the worst. I like summer activities (water sports, etc) but don't actually enjoy the heat. SIL's new partner was actually super great and I feel a little bad for being irritated about them coming over. MIL showed up 45 minutes early with almost everything I told her I was making. Brought her own serving platters and everything. I hadn't even showered yet and I was super annoyed. Monday was going great til the last hour when some drama hit the fan about a project. I'll spare you the details, but will just say that I wish it was sometimes appropriate to punch somebody (it never is, for any reason, I know).
    Sometimes it is. I punched a guy once and that shitbag deserved it. 
    But yeah unfortunately inlaws aren't usually part of that.

MIl sounds like a....bit much but glad you like her partner! 
  • Options

I'm writing my mystery shopping report right now for the steakhouse we went to last night.

One of the items ordered was a martini, prepared tableside.  They had a special cart for it and everything.

It was pretty cool except...and I was suddenly lmao as I realized what I was writing..."...for a tableside show, the martini should have been shaken instead of stirred."

Not the Bond line quite verbatim, but close enough to be hilarious that I legit used it in real life!  Awesome. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    Sometimes it is. I punched a guy once and that shitbag deserved it. 
    But yeah unfortunately inlaws aren't usually part of that.

MIl sounds like a....bit much but glad you like her partner! 
    That's fair!!! My in-laws in general are really great people, but sometimes MIL a problem with letting their kids grow up or do things their own way. Very vocal about anyone's choices that are not what she would pick kind of person. Usually that doesn't bother me, bc I just don't engage but man, that just pissed me right off this weekend. Not to mention I had already spent like $100 on groceries for this get together and then she shows up with duplicates of most things AFTER she had asked earlier in the week what she could bring and I told her exactly what I was making.
  • Options

I'm writing my mystery shopping report right now for the steakhouse we went to last night.

One of the items ordered was a martini, prepared tableside.  They had a special cart for it and everything.

It was pretty cool except...and I was suddenly lmao as I realized what I was writing..."...for a tableside show, the martini should have been shaken instead of stirred."

Not the Bond line quite verbatim, but close enough to be hilarious that I legit used it in real life!  Awesome. 

No, no, no! Martinis should never be shaken. Bond is literally asking for a watered down martini. 

The former bartender in me gets so annoyed every time I hear someone order this. 
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2018

No, no, no! Martinis should never be shaken. Bond is literally asking for a watered down martini. 

The former bartender in me gets so annoyed every time I hear someone order this. 

I was not aware of that!  Though dirty gin martinis are one of my all-time fav cocktails.  But that would explain why they stirred it then, because it's a do everything perfectly, 4-star kind of place.  It just seemed a little anti-climatic.

Edited to add:  FTR, I never specifically request them shaken.  That's just what I've always seen done, until that dinner.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I was not aware of that!  Though dirty gin martinis are one of my all-time fav cocktails.  But that would explain why they stirred it then, because it's a do everything perfectly, 4-star kind of place.  It just seemed a little anti-climatic.

Edited to add:  FTR, I never specifically request them shaken.  That's just what I've always seen done, until that dinner.

Yup! Because when you shake a cocktail you’re break tiny ice chips into the drink. In a drink that is served on the rocks it doesn’t matter,  if if you’re ordering a martini straight up you’re adding ice into the drink, watering it down. So a good bartender will always stir a martini (and try not to roll their eyes when someone asks for it to be shaken). 
  • Options

Yup! Because when you shake a cocktail you’re break tiny ice chips into the drink. In a drink that is served on the rocks it doesn’t matter,  if if you’re ordering a martini straight up you’re adding ice into the drink, watering it down. So a good bartender will always stir a martini (and try not to roll their eyes when someone asks for it to be shaken). 
    I do always order it straight up!  Apparently I just haven't had very good bartenders, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I order it straight up because I like the thin crust of ice that forms on the outside and the very chilled vodka.  However, I order it dirty as hell, hold the actual olives too.  It's not sitting around long enough for me to worry about that vodka being watered down.  :D
  • Options
    Typical Tuesday - I have a handful of meetings, but nothing major. I’m on the activities committee and we work with a non-profit organization called Operation Warm that provides brand new winter coats to children in need. We selected the school we are going to give the coats to this year, now we’re just trying to figure out the logistics. 

I need to to go to Ulta as I’m out of primer

I’m boring today lol