Wedding Woes

Wake up! It's Friday

Whatcha doing this weekend?

DH is burning some vacation time this afternoon, but I don't know what he's planning on doing.  We're taking the kids out to dinner and to Cirque de Soleil tonight.

Tomorrow futsal then I don't know what.  We were supposed to go out with friends while my parents took the kids for the night.  My uncle was taken to the emergency room last night because of an abscess that went from his scrotum to rectum (tmi?).  He's in surgery now.  He's not married so my mom is his main caregiver.  Obviously we're keeping the kids tomorrow.

Re: Wake up! It's Friday

• We’re snowed in today for the first time all winter. We got crazy lake effect snow all night and it’s still going. H and I are both working from home. I’m in the upstairs guest room & he’s downstairs. The poor dog has no idea what is going on. 

I was supposed to mert some friends for drinks in the city tonight but I’m going to bail. I didn’t go in for work I’m definitely not driving in tonight.

Im also annoyed at a coworker so it’s good I’m WFH. We have a pretty strict file folder system here for how we store code because a lot of our models & processes reference multiple different codes and datasets. She developed a model but doesn’t know where the data is. I’m in charge of running a process that relies on that data and she doesn’t know where it is. So I’m just waiting. At least I’m waiting at home with coffee and the cat. 
  • I’m sorry about your uncle @6fsn

Work today. I think I might try to go to the gym after if I’m not too tired. Tomorrow we are going to visit FI’s parent’s for FMIL’s birthday. His sister keeps going back and forth on going up early with us. She has the day off and I think it’s ridiculous to wait for her FI to get off work six-seven hours later to drive up together. It’s a thirty minute drive. He’ll be fine on his own for half an hour. FMIL gets so happy when we are up visiting, and I know they get disappointed when we come up late and leave early the next day. It’s FMIL’s birthday, the codependency can chill for a few hours. 

• DH is off work today because tomorrow is his bday and we're having people over.  So he's cleaning.  Plus he had time off to burn before April.  :) 

Tonight we're heading to Costco to get party food and other stuff.  Tomorrow, DH is going shooting with a group of guys.  I'll stay back and do party prep stuff.  Sunday, we're going to my parent's house to celebrate both our bdays.  

Poor DefConn is probably going to be the only kid around tomorrow night.  I asked our friend if he has his kids this weekend (because DefConn asked) and he said he didn't.  Luckily, he'll have plenty of adults that will want to entertain him (or be entertained by him). ;) 

• Tonight is my company holiday dinner (December & January are so busy, we have it this time of year). Tomorrow is game night at my friend's house. Nothing else planned. H has the man cold, so I'm sure I'll be taking care of him all weekend. 
  • I'm sorry about your uncle 6 - I hope surgery and some strong meds can take care of everything!

I'm leaving early today to catch a train into the city because we got tickets for a concert tonight and we're meeting a couple of my cousins for drinks beforehand.   We've been trying to be more intentional about getting into the city this year - we live in the burbs and sometimes get a little too cozy not leaving our house and then get sad we don't do more, lol.  I was not expecting our first trip downtown together this year to be negative degrees though!!!!

The rest of the weekend is chilling at home.  The only 2 things I want to get done are painting a dresser and taking down Christmas decorations (FINALLY)

• Fingers crossed for your uncle 6.  I felt my non-existent balls retract at the thought of that type of infection.  Sounds horribly painful.
  • mrsmitten said:
    Fingers crossed for your uncle 6, that sounds awful.

@banana468 I plan on purging over the next couple of weeks as well.  H and I are both clothing hoarders - it's borderline embarassing.

@charlotte989875 enjoy working from home!  H is still at MILs so I just finished shoveling our newly dropped 4" - not complaining!

Ironically, I have to work all weekend.  Friend/boss gave me an out, but I sold tomorrow's party and bridal shows are a ton of work for 2 people, let alone 3.  I have a client meeting today, but that's all I'm doing in lieu of my weekend.

I applied for a few jobs last night, including one that's a long shot.  But I wrote a witty and inviting cover letter and I would do great in the position.  It's a community outreach job for a local university, so it will be probably be filled internally, but fuck it, I'm applying for jobs that speak to me not just jobs that match my resume.
    Good for you! Apply broadly to what sparks your interest and see what happens! 

Its funny , i used to WFH all the time when I was a professor but now it’s been probably over a year since I have. I’ve gotten a lot more disciplined in that time. Or I like what I’m doing a lot more? But I’m more productive today than I used to be at home. 
  • 6 - sorry to hear about your uncle. Your plans for tonight sound fun

Banana - I had no idea peds offices did ear piercing but I suppose it sounds like a good thing

Kimmi - did you get the contract with info about how they want to keep you on the hook for a couple months or would that just be given on your last day
  • 6 - I was liking your post until I saw about your uncle!  Glad he is out of surgery and hope he heals quickly!

MrsMitten - Apply for anything you like!  You never know what will happen!

H & I have a date night planned for tomorrow.  We will go to church without DD, then onto dinner and then something else.  We still haven't figured out the something else yet.  I was thinking an escape room, but the one that I liked is now not available for the time we need.  The others are kinda expensive since they charge by the room and not by person.  Ax throwing sounds fun, but you can't make reservations for parties of 2.  They just stick you in whenever there is room.  And bowling can be really expensive on Saturday nights!  And all movies look boring!  So any suggestions WW?  LOL!

Sunday I am meeting a friend for breakfast as Dunkin Donuts.  I was hoping we would do a diner, but she has anxiety (its much bigger than that - but is the easiest way to explain) around her not being able to see the people who prepare her food.  So she suggested Starbucks or Dunkin.  I gave blood, so I have coupons for free Dunkin!  Then later the ILs are coming over and we will have a dinner for SILs birthday.

• 6 - I was liking your post until I saw about your uncle!  Glad he is out of surgery and hope he heals quickly!

MrsMitten - Apply for anything you like!  You never know what will happen!

H & I have a date night planned for tomorrow.  We will go to church without DD, then onto dinner and then something else.  We still haven't figured out the something else yet.  I was thinking an escape room, but the one that I liked is now not available for the time we need.  The others are kinda expensive since they charge by the room and not by person.  Ax throwing sounds fun, but you can't make reservations for parties of 2.  They just stick you in whenever there is room.  And bowling can be really expensive on Saturday nights!  And all movies look boring!  So any suggestions WW?  LOL!

Sunday I am meeting a friend for breakfast as Dunkin Donuts.  I was hoping we would do a diner, but she has anxiety (its much bigger than that - but is the easiest way to explain) around her not being able to see the people who prepare her food.  So she suggested Starbucks or Dunkin.  I gave blood, so I have coupons for free Dunkin!  Then later the ILs are coming over and we will have a dinner for SILs birthday.

Any places with live music you could pop into? We have a great bar in Buffalo that has old arcade games we like going to, do you have anything like that?
  • kvruns said:
    6 - sorry to hear about your uncle. Your plans for tonight sound fun

Banana - I had no idea peds offices did ear piercing but I suppose it sounds like a good thing

Kimmi - did you get the contract with info about how they want to keep you on the hook for a couple months or would that just be given on your last day
    I knew some did but that they stopped after some kids aged out.

At this point I like that if something happens we can go in and have them look at it.

It was either that or the piercing place an hour away which was good but at least $50 plus tip more expensive plus a ride away.

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    Healing vibes to your uncle @6fsn!
    Good for you @mrsmitten for applying to roles that are speaking to you. Hope an organization you like notices your talents soon.
    @banana468 the ped is a great person to do it!  Some of my friends’ pediatricians did it I was envious that mine doesn’t.  I took my daughters to a reputable jeweler, he was terrific..smart to not go to Claire’s.  And I like the 42 jersey!  Huge Mets fan here but Mariano was truly one of the best, his induction was so well deserved.
    @climbingwife ugh good luck on man-cold-nurse-duty...my favorite role lol
    @OliveOilsMom any cooking/baking classes near you guys?  H and I aren’t into the ax throwing/escape room stuff (okay I’m not) and I can’t get H to do a paint night but we always have fun at pizza/gelato/edible cookie dough nights.  Although honestly dinner + drinks is my fave.

I was mobbed at work up until 10 minutes ago...just playing some catch up on paper work and emails/voice msgs from now until 2. 
    ETA- pretty quiet weekend planned. Hoping to declutter a bit and a touch of school stuff (the kids’ school not mine) on Sunday but overall lowkey
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    What about local theatre OliveOilsMom?  
    6sfn- wow undercover dea?  That sounds like such an exciting job though.  Oh the stories!
    mitten -GL with the job applications.  What if this was a blessing in diguise? 

Actually busy at work today.  Doesn’t feel like a Friday.  We got our w2’s at work so i already plugged that in.  Waiting on my property tax forms now.  I have stocks but I lost ~$5.00 in my investments.  Something tells me I don’t have to wait for those forms, right? They said they would come in on or around Feb 15th!  Pfffffft.

i asked my friend if she wanted to do dinner (see?  It’s all we do!) and a movie Sunday if she has a sitter but I forgot I had gold star credit to see “lady in black” and I think this is our last opportunity to see it!
    eta words

• Thanks for the ideas! 

We have an arcade place, but its in Philly and trying to stay on this side of the bridge for this outing.  The arcade place will be moving to Jersey, but the building hasn't even been started so its probably a year+ out at this time.

I was thinking of one of the paint/stain places, but most of them started at 6:30 and we would be really hitting that close with travel times. 

I will look into any cooking type classes or local theatre!

• @eileenrob I remember crying watching Mariano's last game and then DH looking at me wondering WTF was wrong with me.   I have a figure of him on my desk.   The GOAT! 

• Sending healing vibes to your uncle, @6fsn. That sounds horribly painful!

Another productive day at work, then DW and I went to dinner and our usual Friday night meeting.

Tomorrow I’m shipping some of our old housemate’s stuff to her, then going to my book club discussion and meeting with my sponsor. Tomorrow night, we’re staying in and hopefully having some BCBC.

Sunday we’re going to brunch and then going to do some writing at Starbucks (cliched, I know). I also need to do laundry and go grocery shopping.