Wedding Woes
Options

Trying to find my tribe

Dear Prudence,

I’m a bisexual white woman married to a bisexual black man. We have two young daughters. I don’t enjoy spending time in “mommy groups” because it feels like a constant competition to be “ideal” mothers. Also, a lot of these moms seem to put their whole identity into motherhood, and I don’t. I feel like a novelty in these groups; sometimes members will latch onto me as the most interesting person they know, and it’s exhausting. I recently worked a kid’s birthday party (I’m an entertainer) where all of the parents were LGBT couples who seemed to be part of a meetup group. Prudie, I want to go to there! They were all so laid back, easy to talk to, and had interests in common with me. Many also had biracial children. They were giving each other braiding tips in a way that the straight, white mommy groups around here just don’t! I want to be part of a group like that so bad, but I’m hyperaware that as a bi woman married to a man, I would probably not even be welcome. As much as I try to be out, I know I benefit from the privilege of being perceived as straight. My husband and I met at the LGBT support group in college, but when it was formed, there was a great debate as to whether bisexual people should even have been allowed to join. My husband says I should just let it go and try to make friends with the moms I don’t really like if I’m lonely, because I apparently haven’t given them enough of a chance. Whatever that means. Is it so wrong that I want a space where I feel allowed to be weird and queer and not a perfect parent?

—Meetup Anxiety

Re: Trying to find my tribe

• Options
    LW could try to look up the group and see if they have guidelines. 
  • Options
    I think LW should give it a go.  Most of the formal LGBTQ group are super aware of bi-erasure and conscious of it.  Especially since the point of this is parenting, I think it would be an easier merge-in.

It can be hard to forgive and forget the stings of bi-erasure from within the queer community, b/c they really hurt.  But LW shouldn't give up the chance to find a great support group either.
  • Options
    If you like this group reach out and see how it feels. You really don’t know if they’ll be welcoming unless you test it out. 

But I also feel LW sounds a little judgy about the other Moms. Maybe they are all boring and just care about being good Moms. But the “I’m the most interesting person they know” just sounds like she think she’s better than them. 
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2019
    “Hey, wondering if it would be cool if I joined your meetup? I’m a bi woman married to a cis man. Saw y’all hanging out last weekend and loved the vibe.” 

I totally agree with this.  There is no harm in reaching out to that group, especially since they have already met her.  Sure, it would be a little hurtful if they reject her.  But then she'll know they're probably not the kind of people she'd want to hang out with anyway.

I'm also catching a hint of judgy from the LW about mothers from her mom groups that she assumes to be cis.  Maybe she would better see them for the individuals they are if she stopped painting them all with a broad brush stroke.  And find some friendships she enjoys in those groups also. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    “Hey, wondering if it would be cool if I joined your meetup? I’m a bi woman married to a cis man. Saw y’all hanging out last weekend and loved the vibe.” 

I totally agree with this.  There is no harm in reaching out to that group, especially since they have already met her.  Sure, it would be a little hurtful if they reject her.  But then she'll know they're probably not the kind of people she'd want to hang out with anyway.

I'm also catching a hint of judgy from the LW about mothers from her mom groups that she assumes to be cis.  Maybe she would better see them for the individuals they are if she stopped painting them all with a broad brush stroke.  And find some friendships she enjoys in those groups also. 

Yeah if you think all the white straight moms are the same, the problem might be you. Def still join whatever group works for you but maybe also try a bit harder. 
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2019
    Weeellll....straight people caaaannnn have a tendency to be like, OMGYOUREGAYLETSBEBESTIES!!!  And, just to be totally frank, it's cis-het white women who do this.  LW's language wasn't the best, but I know the experience she's talking about and it's uncomfortable.  

But again, I think just going to the meeting and being there as a queer parent is enough.  If she wants to introduce herself as a bi woman married to a bi man, I think she's find more acceptance than she's thinking.