Wedding Woes

All. The. Red. Flags.

Dear Prudence,

I’ve been with my boyfriend for over two years. He’s several years older than me and is eager to move our relationship to the next level. He has been pressuring me to move in for a year and wants to get married. I love him, but I’ve always had a few conditions: He needs to address his moderate hoarding problem and declutter his apartment so I have a place to put my stuff, he has to start taking better care of himself (he hadn’t seen a dentist in seven years), and we need to fight in a healthier manner. We tend to get into one or two big fights a year in public with a smattering of smaller spats in between: It’s mostly him being moody and lashing out and me not responding well to that. Since we had this conversation, he has decluttered some 25 percent of his apartment, spent a few thousand on furniture that better accommodates his stuff, and has even seen the dentist a few times. We also have been fighting less. This is definitely great progress, and I’m proud of him, but there is still a lot to do. He expects me to move in April.

We regularly discuss our goals, but I’ve been flustered this past year, feeling like I have to constantly monitor, manage, and assist him so we meet my expectations by a deadline he is comfortable with. When I express these feelings to him, he gets upset and says he’s bending over backward for me and I’m not seeing everything he does for me in our relationship (buy most dinners, help with my coding class homework, offer to financially support me if I want to quit my lousy job). But I can’t help but see that after a year of decluttering, his 2,000-square-foot apartment still can’t accommodate my stuff that currently fits into a 150-square-foot bedroom. That’s the thing that worries me most about moving in! I’m also worried that we’re only fighting less because I’ve been busy with coding boot camp and we haven’t been in any situations which tend to provoke him (socializing in big groups, hot weather, being tired). It took a year of pestering for him to get to a dentist. I realize the changes I am looking for are big for him, but I also don’t feel like I am totally irrational for having these expectations of a 38-year-old. He has admitted to feeling some pressure to get married as he nears 40. I am afraid come April that not only will his apartment still not have room for my stuff, but he will get upset if I don’t move in anyway. Worse, I am afraid that once summer hits, he will become easily irritated again and we’ll get into another big fight. How do I handle all this? I dragged him to couples therapy after our last big public spat last summer, but there were a zillion reasons it didn’t work out for him, and he refuses to try again.

—To Move or Not to Move

Re: All. The. Red. Flags.

• "I think this relationship is doomed but I'm also considering moving in with this guy.  What do YOU think I should do?"

Why??  GTFO.   That's what you do.   And frankly you should warn other people that you put this amount of time into a relationship 
  • Run away girl. This issues will only get worse if/when you move in.
  • Three pieces of advice:

1) Leave.

2) Leave.

3) Leave.
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2019

I'm actually on the b/f's side more than the LW's.  Her whole letter is what he does wrong.  I'm sure he has his problems and has been working to correct the things she doesn't like.  But I don't think the LW wants to move in with her b/f and is using her complaints as a hammer and an excuse.  She sounds very exacting.  Which is fine.  But he's more laidback and that's not his style.  If she can't accept who he is, even when he has made a large effort, than it's definitely time for them both to move on to more compatible people.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm actually on the b/f's side more than the LW's.  Her whole letter is what he does wrong.  I'm sure he has his problems and has been working to correct the things she doesn't like.  But I don't think the LW wants to move in with her b/f and is using her complaints as a hammer and an excuse.  She sounds very exacting.  Which is fine.  But he's more laidback and that's not his style.  If she can't accept who he is, even when he has made a large effort, than it's definitely time for them both to move on to more compatible people.

I agree to a point, but she says they get in public spats because he's 'too tired or too hot' and picks at LW.   

But yes, they sound very incompatible...but are both weirdly 'on the clock' so feel they need to choose each other or else time will run out. 

• If LW and her BF do move in together, I suggest getting a new place. Then it isn't her stuff in his space and that kind of thing. Clean slate and everything is "ours". 

I agree.  Also, LW does seem to be rather uncompromising and expects him to make all these changes to be suitable for her. 

This is reminding me of the 'turtle' episode of SATC.  All those women got the guy to change and then he dumps them because he finds someone 'better'.  

• So nobody’s perfect (dentist, clutter) and I actually applaud him for trying to fix the stuff she doesn’t like.  It shows some kind of initiative. 
    The public arguments are concerning though.   If he didn’t like the one therapist they went to - there are others out there that may fit better? I agree you wont get along with a therapist/counselor if there’s no compatibility. 

• I'm actually on the b/f's side more than the LW's.  Her whole letter is what he does wrong.  I'm sure he has his problems and has been working to correct the things she doesn't like.  But I don't think the LW wants to move in with her b/f and is using her complaints as a hammer and an excuse.  She sounds very exacting.  Which is fine.  But he's more laidback and that's not his style.  If she can't accept who he is, even when he has made a large effort, than it's definitely time for them both to move on to more compatible people.

I agree with you on all of this.  It seems like they're not compatible.  I also have a suspicion that the public spats are not all bf's fault.  LW seems completely overbearing to me and if he's making all these changes to try to make her happy, I imagine that LW is the one that is suggesting they go to places/events that bf may not be comfortable with, then getting mad that he doesn't like it.  Public lashing out is not ok, but I feel like there's more to the story there. 
  • Honestly; I’m on the BFs side here. He’s offering to pay for her boot camp, her expenses if she quits her job, he’s made progress on the things she told him he had to do, and she sets deadlines for things he has to do.

I’d be so annoyed just existing in that relationship and would probably nit-pick at my partner since I’d feel that’s all they are doing to me.

You need to part ways but not because he’s awful. Because you don’t like him.  
  • From this limited letter, they don’t strike me as compatible enough to stay together.  Some of LW’s stuff is nit-picky, some is fair...I’m really up in the air about the bf.  Does he just want to be married so he’s acting a certain way/offering things?  What if he was nearing 30 instead of 40?  Just based off this letter id lean towards break up...i’d have to see what they actually like about each other.  Maybe there’s a lot of passion?

Totally agree with if they move in together, they should move into a new place.  
  • I'm honestly seeing two incompatible people who are desperately trying to not be single.  He doesn't want to marry her per say, he wants to be married before he's 40.  She can only list the things about him she doesn't like but still stays with him.

• Alternative title:

”I’m not sure if I want to adopt and parent a grown ass man”
  • Alternative title:

”I’m not sure if I want to adopt and parent a grown ass man”
    I don't see him as needing parenting though.  2/3 of those things just seem rather...well, honestly they seem like her signing up to parent him whether he wants it or not.  I agree with "fighting healthier," but again, it sounds like that means, "I know what's healthy and he doesn't..it's this and he needs to do it this way."

Honestly, lately it seems like so many of the post find me rolling my eyes and saying, "It must be so exhausting being so perfect and knowing all the answers."
  • I think OP is in a trap of her own making. I asked him to do xyz, he did, now I have to move in. False. 

That's why I was suspicious that, consciously or subconsciously, she doesn't actually want to move in with him.  Which may have nothing to do with him.  Or some part of her realizing that his "best" will never be good enough for her, but isn't quite ready to admit how incompatible they are yet.

I'm clutterer myself.  I know it can be a deep-seated psychology that makes it hard to get rid of things.  I'm not saying that as an excuse or that people can't improve (I have).  But if his tendencies are anything like mine, getting rid of 25% of his stuff in only one year is a major change.  But it's highly unlikely he will ever keep a "neat as a pin" house with spartan belongings.  She didn't say that was her standard.  But she did say all of her belongings fit in her bedroom, so that was my vibe.

She asked him to go to the dentist.  He has.  More than once.  So, check that box off.  Except she's still talking about it.

She also mostly blames him for all the fighting.  I'm not buying that.  It usually takes two people to fight, especially a fight in public.  Apparently, even that has been a lot better.  But she uses a "qualifier" for why that shouldn't count also.

So, in answer to her question.  "Yes, she is being irrational with her expectations for this 38-year-old man."  I don't find anything she complained about to be some unbelievable and outrageous thing that no grown adult would be doing.  I'd like to introduce her to the 30-year-old brother in the other letter who hangs out on the couch in his underwear all day, lol.

I am by no means saying that her complaints are NBD, for her.  She shouldn't have to put up with clutter or whatever, if that's her deal breaker and makes her unhappy.  But it's crappy she keeps trying to shove a square peg in a round hole and keeps blaming the square peg.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think OP is in a trap of her own making. I asked him to do xyz, he did, now I have to move in. False. 

That's why I was suspicious that, consciously or subconsciously, she doesn't actually want to move in with him.  Which may have nothing to do with him.  Or some part of her realizing that his "best" will never be good enough for her, but isn't quite ready to admit how incompatible they are yet.

I'm clutterer myself.  I know it can be a deep-seated psychology that makes it hard to get rid of things.  I'm not saying that as an excuse or that people can't improve (I have).  But if his tendencies are anything like mine, getting rid of 25% of his stuff in only one year is a major change.  But it's highly unlikely he will ever keep a "neat as a pin" house with spartan belongings.  She didn't say that was her standard.  But she did say all of her belongings fit in her bedroom, so that was my vibe.

She asked him to go to the dentist.  He has.  More than once.  So, check that box off.  Except she's still talking about it.

She also mostly blames him for all the fighting.  I'm not buying that.  It usually takes two people to fight, especially a fight in public.  Apparently, even that has been a lot better.  But she uses a "qualifier" for why that shouldn't count also.

So, in answer to her question.  "Yes, she is being irrational with her expectations for this 38-year-old man."  I don't find anything she complained about to be some unbelievable and outrageous thing that no grown adult would be doing.  I'd like to introduce her to the 30-year-old brother in the other letter who hangs out on the couch in his underwear all day, lol.

I am by no means saying that her complaints are NBD, for her.  She shouldn't have to put up with clutter or whatever, if that's her deal breaker and makes her unhappy.  But it's crappy she keeps trying to shove a square peg in a round hole and keeps blaming the square peg.

She's basically goal post moving on him.  "Do this."  He does this.  "Okay, but this wasn't good enough or this should've included that."  So no matter what he does, achieving the desired result is just enough out of reach to give her the out she wants.

Just say no already.  
  • My H likes to collect things.  When we got married, we had an agreement that he would get rid of some things so that there would be room for me.  Since I'm a bit of a minimalist (except when it comes to owning animals), his stuff does tend to creep into places that are supposed to be reserved for me.  It is a constant ... I wouldn't say argument but a constant discussion that inevitably it gets to a certain point and he has to "declutter" the areas that shouldn't have his stuff in them.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this will be a perpetual problem for LW, and if it is a deal breaker, it would be best to part ways.