DIY Wedding Forum

DIY Grazing Table for 125 people....Insane!?

Is it completely insane to want to do a grazing table ourselves for 125 people? 
My main concern is that I would like to organize and do it myself (its fun! and I would enjoy it!) But it needs to be done during the ceremony (in July). So how does one refrigerate an entire grazing table?! In pieces??

Ideas??

Re: DIY Grazing Table for 125 people....Insane!?

• Its not the catering, its for the cocktail hour!
  • Its not the catering, its for the cocktail hour!
    Yes, still insane to have it DIY by the couple. Why not ask your caterers to do an inexpensive spread? Or get some cheese/fruit/ dip platters that you can pay someone to put out.
  • Our caterer doesn't do the type of spread that we would like! Definitely have to think about it more. Thanks for your response!
  • What do you think of DIY charcuterie boards for each table? we have 16 tables. These can be prepared the day before and wrapped in cellophane and stacked in the fridge.
  • Yes, sounds much better. Although check with the caterers. Some will not allow other food in their fridges due to food safety issues. 

But I love charcuterie! 
  • our wedding is all diy on a family friends giant property! so we will be using their fridge :)
  • You can hire caterers to serve and refresh the platters even if you do them yourself in advance. But you do need some hired help no matter what!
  • maine7mob said:
    You can hire caterers to serve and refresh the platters even if you do them yourself in advance. But you do need some hired help no matter what!
    If you live near a high school or college with a hospitality program, look into hiring students.
  • our wedding is all diy on a family friends giant property! so we will be using their fridge :)
    Will this be held outside in July?  
    If you want to keep your guests and the food safe, you need to consider having all food taken care of professionally.  
    Does this family friend have more than one refrigerator?  You'll need extra space just for ice!
    Are you renting additional toilet facilities?  How is parking being handled?  Do you have an inclement weather plan?
  • We have all those details planned out. I was only asking for advice with this specific thing. 
  • We have all those details planned out. I was only asking for advice with this specific thing. 
    Hopefully they are planned out with the comfort and safety of your guests in mind.  There have been MANY posts created regarding "home" weddings in which important details have been overlooked.  The fact that you are toying with the idea of providing an outdoor cocktail hour in July for 125 guests on your own wedding day does make me wonder what, if any, other "completely insane" ideas you might consider.

It is absolutely your prerogative to decline responses.  However, anything you offer on a public forum is open to questions and/or comments.  
  • Are you sure your caterer would even allow this?  Most caterers/venues because of food safety and state laws will say No.  I know my insurance on my office is the issue if I want to have food at anything, and that's just an office with a classroom.