Attire & Accessories Forum

Sheath Dresses for 5mo post-partum?

Our wedding is scheduled for 5 months after I deliver our first baby and I'd love suggestions on the right kind of dress to look for.

I'm a small person to begin with. Started the pregnancy at 125lbs, and looks like I'll not gain more than 30lbs (I'm 6 months pregnant now.)

I'm 5'3" with 32E breasts to begin with so I'm worried about what styles will suit post-baby boobs. ;)

My fiance loves the spaghetti strap sheath dress look -- thought on whether theres a chance in hell I'll be able to pull it off with the proper undergarments?

Thanks!
Heather

Re: Sheath Dresses for 5mo post-partum?

• Our wedding is scheduled for 5 months after I deliver our first baby and I'd love suggestions on the right kind of dress to look for.

I'm a small person to begin with. Started the pregnancy at 125lbs, and looks like I'll not gain more than 30lbs (I'm 6 months pregnant now.)

I'm 5'3" with 32E breasts to begin with so I'm worried about what styles will suit post-baby boobs. ;)

My fiance loves the spaghetti strap sheath dress look -- thought on whether theres a chance in hell I'll be able to pull it off with the proper undergarments?

Thanks!
    Heather
    I am 4 months postpartum and, even though I am wearing all my pregnancy clothes and only 10lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight, I would want something less slinky than a sheath. But I also have exercised like 5 times since giving birth, maybe you would be more dedicated since you have a goal. That being said, would you wearing spaghetti straps now??? 

If you haven’t “popped” yet, go try on some dresses. It will give you an idea of how wedding dresses are constructed and will help you make a decision on weather you would feel comfortable in a sheath or not.
  • I would also encourage you to consider if you may still be breastfeeding or pumping at that point and consider dresses that work for those purposes. 
  • Our wedding is scheduled for 5 months after I deliver our first baby and I'd love suggestions on the right kind of dress to look for.

Thanks!
    Heather
    That seems like the worst least flattering design possible. 
  • I gained most of my weight during the final 3mo with both of my kids, so my vote is gong to be "Wait until the 4mo PP point to go shopping"..  That way you've had some time after baby for the springing of the scale and body redistribution to stabilize a bit yet enough time for alterations without a "rush fee" (and if you're a month out and they tell you it needs a rush fee, go someplace else unless it's say $10-20).  Also, if you plan to pump or latch can impact things, etc.  

The other thing is, you won't know how YOUR body responds until after you've had the little one.  I've seen individuals who are back to their pre-baby weight in weeks, and others who never see that ever again.  Some whose chest shrinks and some who go up a massive number of sizes.  Know that you will not go without a dress on your wedding day and you may need to purchase off the rack, but that's really NBD!  Do not turn the purchase into an emotional sale, do not "settle" because a shop guilt trips you into thinking you won't have a dress because of shopping close to your wedding, it's a business transaction, and the goal is for you to look in the mirror in awe of how awesome you look and feel (especially in those first months PP when life with baby starts to kick in!).  Your FI may have an idea of what he likes, but the dress is about you and your choice of YOU what to look like on your wedding day that makes you feel like a million bucks (while staying within or below your budget - which we always tell brides to plan half of your dress budget for things like undergarments/crinoline, shoes, headpiece/veil -which will save tons if you DIY or purchase online, and the biggest expense of all, alterations..  So when the shop asks "what is your budget" we suggest half for this reason because if you tell the shop $1400 they're going to start with showing you $1399.99 dresses for example instead of $700-800..)
  • Sheath dresses look good on small breasted women. Ditto spaghetti straps. Think Jackie O or Audrey Hepburn. I really can't see anyone larger than a C cup really killing it in a sheath, even if she isn't postpartum. Google styles for busty women and you will find some much more flattering choices.

And make sure you can nurse in the thing if you BF.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    I gained most of my weight during the final 3mo with both of my kids, so my vote is gong to be "Wait until the 4mo PP point to go shopping"..  That way you've had some time after baby for the springing of the scale and body redistribution to stabilize a bit yet enough time for alterations without a "rush fee" (and if you're a month out and they tell you it needs a rush fee, go someplace else unless it's say $10-20).  Also, if you plan to pump or latch can impact things, etc.  

The other thing is, you won't know how YOUR body responds until after you've had the little one.  I've seen individuals who are back to their pre-baby weight in weeks, and others who never see that ever again.  Some whose chest shrinks and some who go up a massive number of sizes.  

>snip<
    And besides this, even if you "bounce back" very quickly, your body may not be the same shape. I got back to pre-pregnancy weight and less, actually, after my first pregnancy. But I had (still do, and I need to work harder at fixing it) a diastis, and so my stomach was much poochier than it had been even with weighing less. 

Honestly, I have to agree with starmoon. I think you should wear what you feel beautiful in, but I honestly can't think of a less flattering style on a newly postpartum body than a spaghetti strap sheath dress. You can certainly look into various undergarments and strapless bras, but personally no way would I want to do spaghetti straps with E cups or bigger. 
  • MesmrEwe said:
    I gained most of my weight during the final 3mo with both of my kids, so my vote is gong to be "Wait until the 4mo PP point to go shopping"..  That way you've had some time after baby for the springing of the scale and body redistribution to stabilize a bit yet enough time for alterations without a "rush fee" (and if you're a month out and they tell you it needs a rush fee, go someplace else unless it's say $10-20).  Also, if you plan to pump or latch can impact things, etc.  

The other thing is, you won't know how YOUR body responds until after you've had the little one.  I've seen individuals who are back to their pre-baby weight in weeks, and others who never see that ever again.  Some whose chest shrinks and some who go up a massive number of sizes.  

>snip<
    And besides this, even if you "bounce back" very quickly, your body may not be the same shape. I got back to pre-pregnancy weight and less, actually, after my first pregnancy. But I had (still do, and I need to work harder at fixing it) a diastis, and so my stomach was much poochier than it had been even with weighing less. 

Honestly, I have to agree with starmoon. I think you should wear what you feel beautiful in, but I honestly can't think of a less flattering style on a newly postpartum body than a spaghetti strap sheath dress. You can certainly look into various undergarments and strapless bras, but personally no way would I want to do spaghetti straps with E cups or bigger. 
    @lovesclimbing It was after my second that I ended up with a Severe Diastasis (~6") - it's MISERABLE (I look like i'm 8.5mo) and worse - no amount of exercise will ever fix this, prognosis is surgery only...  Clothing shopping has never been the same...
  • MesmrEwe said:
    MesmrEwe said:

>snip<

@lovesclimbing It was after my second that I ended up with a Severe Diastasis (~6") - it's MISERABLE (I look like i'm 8.5mo) and worse - no amount of exercise will ever fix this, prognosis is surgery only...  Clothing shopping has never been the same...
    Ooh, that's rough! Fortunately, mine is/was not that big (we'll see after I have this baby!), and it did shrink partially between pregnancies. I did some exercises to work on it, but I just wasn't consistent. It was small enough (three fingers right after delivery, two fingers later on) that focused exercises should have been able to fix it. Hopefully, that will remain the case! I have had a much more physically difficult pregnancy this time, and I attribute at least some of it to not being active enough and having a weak core when I got pregnant. :/